Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justsurviving

Any plumeria gardens in Hawaii?

orchidcrazy
15 years ago

Going to Oahu, Hawaii in a couple of days and would like to know if there are any plumeria gardens to tour? Thanks.

Comments (14)

• tdogdad
    15 years ago

Go west on the main highway (Kalanianaole Highway) out beyond Koko Head/Hawaii Kai and up over the hill and down along the rocky coast. After you pass Sandy Beach you will come to a signal at Kealahou Street. Turn left. The road will curve left by a golf course and then right. After you see Kalohelani place on the right the next left will be Kokonani street. Turn on this street and enter Koko Crater where you will find the Koko Crater Botanical Garden. The plumerias are on the left as you enter with the boganvillas on the right. The park is free and open sunrise to sunset. Wear walking shoes. You can take the #23 bus from Ala Moana Center or from Kalakaua ave in Waikiki to the park. You can also drive around the rich area on Koko Head (portlock) and see some awesome houses and some old plumeria trees as well as up through Hawaii Kai area. There are some nice trees at the old Hilton (kahala mandarin hotel now- great breakfast place-go in lobby and turn right and go down stairs to eat-then check out the beach and the fish and dolphin pools) and throughout the Black Point area where the rich and famous live. Hope this helps. Bill

• lopaka_mikale
    15 years ago

Could you be a little more specific, Bill? JK.

Bob

• astrl
    15 years ago

Oh, I wish I had seen that when I was there. I guess I'll just have to go back.

• Kimo
    15 years ago

Remember when you go to Koko Creator gardens to the see the plumies "look but do not touch'.
    Koko Creator Plumies are considered contaminated with borer beaetles. Thats why they do not want you to take cuttings from the gardens.

A while ago the Univ Hawaii took a bunch of uninfected cuttings of most from the trees and started a new satelite garden to prevent the loss of the collection and to prevent the spreed of the beetles

So don't get caught cutting from the Koko Gardens and do not smuggle in contaminated or uninspected cuttings.
    You will rarely see a security guard so you might be tempted to take cuttings but please do not.
    There is a seller in Hawaii that lives on Oahu that use to get cuttings from the gardens, but this is very reckless of her.
    If you do get caught there is a HUGE fine not to mention the risk of spread disease or infestation like Nematodes or the dreaded Borer beetle.

Enjoy your trip and enjoy the local plumies :)

• orchidcrazy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WOW! Thank you Bill. I am copying you directions and going plumeria sightseeing. Was the old Hilton called Hilton Hawaiian Village? I will be staying at the military hotel called the Hale Koa which I remember being next to the Hilton Hawaiian Village the last time I was there.
    Thank you for the warning freak4plumeria. I never knew about the nematodes or Borer beetles. I was thinking of looking for some plumeria at the Swap Meet. I hope that women doesn't sell there.

• karyn1
    15 years ago

I've heard that some of the cemetaries in Hawaii are heavily planted with plumeria. Not that you necessarily want to wander around a cemetary. lol

Freak4plumeria I believe I know the seller you are talking about.

• houstonpat
    15 years ago

Hale Koa is in a prime location on Waikiki. If you get the chance you should visit the Army Rec Center in Waianae. I like renting their cabins on the beach. They have a little restraunt on the beach that has live music on the weekends.

• tdogdad
    15 years ago

Orchidcrazy- No the Hilton Hawaiian Village is in Waikiki. The Kahala hilton which is now I believe the mandarin oriental is on the other side of Diamond Head in the Kahala area. The road that goes around the front of Diamond head dead ends at the hotel which has a beautiful view of Koko Head across the bay and from which you can walk back on the beach toward Waikiki and go in front of many of the giant mansions of the mega rich. It is a pricey breakfast but it has such a classy old fashioned style and the view is wonderful. And for kids or fish lovers there is a glass floor by the entrance to the dinning area with the fish and turtles swimming beneath and out into a pool that you can go out an walk along. And you can get right up to the dolphins in another pool. Bill

• Kimo
    15 years ago

There are also some community centers in the Metro Honlulu area that have plumeria trees they have for leis for lei day.
    They also will sell you cuttings for cheap, you have to cut the cuttings yourself and they will charge you.
    Usually these cuttings are clean and safe but you will still have to go the Ag department to get the cuttings inspected and stamped.

Bill is correct about the Kahala area and Hawaii Kai. I stayed a week at the Kahala Mandarin Oriental when it was still the Mandrin Oriental haven't been back since the change of name to the Kahala hotel.

I believe there was someone selling on EBAY before that was selling plumeria on EBAY that was stationed at that military base. I believe its the same place there was a lot of Nassau there.

Again good luck on the plumie hunt. Contact the local Community centers regarding the plumeria cuttings.
    I know there are a lot of people that go there to sell plumerias and they have some great varities.

• orchidcrazy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for responding to my questions so quickly. I will have to check out the Mandarin Oriental Hotel, Army Rec Center and maybe some cemetaries. LOL

• rory_2009
    14 years ago

Actually, a clarification should be made. Anyone sending plumeria cuttings or plants must obtain USDA inspection and certification so if you obtain cuttings from anyone who does this, then you can rest assured that your cuttings are healthy. The USDA in Hawaii inspects for infestation of all kinds including borer beetles, mold, rot, etc. If you make sure to obtain your cuttings or plants from someone who guarantees USDA inspection and approval before sending, you are entirely safe. The USDA in Hawaii cooperates with all states, and ensures that the cuttings that leave Hawaii, by mail especially, are pest free. The key is to obtain your cuttings from someone in Hawaii who obtains USDA certification which is evident by the stamped parcels in which the cuttings arrive. Then you can be assured that at least they are free of such problems.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    14 years ago

orchidcrazy,
    When I visited Oahu, Pearl Harbor had some beautiful old Plumeria trees...quite the place to visit!!! Also we visited Punch Bowl Cemetary for the history of WWII, if you watch as you land in Oahu...you will see Punchbowl Crater which is near DiamondHead...keep your eyes open and you might get quite a view into Punchbowl...They have a large grouping of Plumeria...If you reasearch the history of Plumeria some in the islands called it the death plant...because they used it quite often in the cemetaries...Enjoy your vacation...Oh..also the Dole Plantatation has a great Plumeria Garden as well!!!

Laura

14 years ago

Orchidcrazy,
    Let me clarify about the cemetaries...the reason they planted them there is because of there ability to survive harsh conditions...so places like cemetaries that were seldom irrigated and occasionally tended...with very dry conditions they flourished and held up well...so the islanders reffered to them as "dead man trees" or "graveyard plumerias" Paul Weissich had said these things about the local history of Plumeria...I have a great article about how he talks of how they were introduced to Hawaii from Asia...if you would like a copy of this article I, would be happy to mail it to you so you have another tidbit of info to take with you...it talks of the bot.gardens that Bill speaks of and of some others...you can email me at lmjusa@yahoo.com and I will copy and send it to you...it's quite interesting!!!

Laura

14 years ago

Also known as "THE GIVING TREE"

Laura