Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shellysplumies

How is my callus doing ?

ShellysPlumies
11 years ago

This cutting has been drying out for about a week what do you guys think? Does it look healthy ? A little concerned about the green discoloration on the edge

Comments (23)

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

Hi Shelly. I would say your cutting is on it's way to forming a nice good callous. I would still give it some more time before planting it though.

As far as the green discoloration, I have never seen that before. Do you have any side shots of the cutting? That may help so people can see what the discoloration is.

Andrew

• ShellysPlumies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Andrew,

Thanks for the feedback I actually do have a side shot of this cutting.
    Hope this helps !

Shelly

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

the discoloration may just be bruising from the snips.

• ShellysPlumies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ouch! will it be okay or should I do a recut

• rox146
    11 years ago

what is the name of this cutting? roxanne

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I have never thought twice about any potential bruising during the snip. (If that is actually what it is).

In my opinion...Your best bet is to keep letting it cure just like you have been doing.

• monet_g
    11 years ago

The green appears to be the color of mold, but, then again it doesn't look like mold. You could dip the end into a dry fungicide (sulfur, cinnamon, captan, etc.) just in case.

• ShellysPlumies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I hope its not mold.. im really looking forward to this cutting..
    I want to wait to weeks before I plant it because last time I only waited 3 days with the same variety and it rotted right away.
    im tempted to snip it but I have been drying it out for a little over a week now and Im super excited and dont want to wait another 2 weeks. Its an orange no id plumeria and its blooms are gorgeous!! I can honestly say I never seen anything like it. and the smell? TO DIE FOR lol

Thanks guys

Shelly

• elucas101
    11 years ago

I agree that it's looking great Shelly, I would leave it.

I have gotten some practice on callusing lately and I'm having much better luck than I did before. (Fingers crossed!) I have about 6 or 7 with ends in mulch or perlite right now and they are looking pretty good, at least they are not shrinking up.

• ShellysPlumies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Elucas101,

the last cutting I had shrank on the inside? Do you know why that occurs? Is it fungus?

Shelly

• elucas101
    11 years ago

I'm not sure why they do that - I don't know if they are dehydrated to begin with, if the ambient air is too dry or sometimes even cutting too close to the end can essentially 'crush' the edges enough that I think it pulls them away.

I've even cut a cutting only to have it pull away and not look good so i cut it again and it was fine the 2nd time?!

This time around the perlite and mulch are both giving better results than i've had in the past. With the perlite I don't put anything on the cutting end, with the mulch I've put rooting hormone on the end, let them sit overnight and then buried the end in mulch.

I think your callous is off to a great start because it isn't shriveled or pulled away at all. Do you have any perlite you could stick the end in? I would give it a total of 2-3 weeks to make sure.

• elucas101
    11 years ago

P.S., once you do pot / bottle it up, make sure you can keep it warm enough. That, combined with a great callous will give you the best chance of success. keep us posted!

• ShellysPlumies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank elucas101!

I put it in mulch and perlite ill post pictures of what it looks like now :)

Shelly

• ShellysPlumies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

In the mulch

• ShellysPlumies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Callus after almost 2 weeks

• ShellysPlumies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Is this an inflo? Because I hope all the energy doesn't go to the inflo instead of roots.

• ShellysPlumies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What is that green thing ? Wasn't there last week..

• ShellysPlumies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Better pic of callus

• DelWH
    11 years ago

That appears to be an inflo forming. Don't worry about it, I have cuttings that pushed full blooming inflos while rooting. If you get rid of it, it may be a couple of years or more before it blooms again.

Here's a Cool Aid cutting blooming and rooting at the same time.

• ShellysPlumies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thats a beautiful bloom! Well ill just let the inflo be.. I just hope it doesnt drain the cuttings energy since its still only callusing. thanks for the info and pic :)

shelly

• Minderella
    11 years ago

My cutting is pulling back and looks very dry. I will have to get a pic. Elucus101, what kind of mulch did you use?

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Shelly, that does look like an inflo! I have a cutting that I'm trying to root and I wondered why it wasn't doing anything - then I realized I think it's trying to push an onflo out of each tip - doh! To be honest, I may cut them off as soon as they are long enough, I'm not sure yet. It's a judgement call for sure...some say cut it, some say don't cut it...

I've lost a cutting that devoted all of its energy to rooting so I'm more prone to cut. The good news is that even if you cut, there will most likely be branching as a result of the inflo and that's a good thing.

Minderalla, George recommended a hardwood mulch - I don't remember the brand, but there weren't all that many to choose from - I think the important thing was to make sure it was hardwood. His method is to cut, immediately dip in rooting hormone to form a crust, let sit overnight and then bury the end in mulch. With the perlite you just cut and let it stop oozing and then stick the end in perlite. Both are working well for me now.

The only tip I could get out of Matt, creator of the best callus ever on my Goldilocks, was that before he took the cuttings his mother tree was watered very well. So, sometimes I think dehydration gets to the cutting. They sit around, get cut and re-cut, maybe were dehydrated to begin with...who knows...

• Minderella
    11 years ago

Thank You, Elucas 101
    I am trying to callus a Hilo beauty and it keeps getting squishy on the end. This is the second cutting I have bought from this grower that has rotted, two different varieties. Kind of scared to buy from them again.

Mindy