Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rox146

island plumeria

rox146
11 years ago

Aloha to whom ever out there asked me to check at Island Plumeria for Pop's Red. There is a good chance I am going tomorrow, I am just waiting to here from him. I have not forgotten you, just could not find your thread back there ....roxanne

Comments (28)

• Kenny
    11 years ago

Aloha Roxanne,

It was me :)

Could you also check to see if he has any Kimi Moragnes as well? A family friend from around the area is wanting to get one. I suggested she pay Island Plumeria a visit. She's currently in NY and won't be back there until May. I'll let her know if you find any Kimi plants there.

Kenny

• rox146
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, Kenny, I will check as soon as I can get there. We are in a 2 week escrow and things are crazy and I am still trying to sneak in a few more plumeria that my husband cannot find. :-) He does have a great new web site since last year. I will keep you posted. I purchased 5 BIG in containers from him last year in June...so there is lots of time. He is so nice to walk around with you and tell you about all of them. mahalo, roxanne

• rox146
    Original Author
    11 years ago

p.s. Kenny..perhaps you are close to where we live and you need to come to our luau in August? Are you close to Ventura County? mahalo, roxanne

• Kenny
    11 years ago

Hi Roxanne,

I like your plan of sneaking in a few extra plants past your hubby. It looks like you'll have a lot of plants at your new place!

I'm actually in Oklahoma City. I was in Lancaster for work last month. I got to visit Jungle Jack and picked up a few plants. Since Island Plumeria requires appointment in advance, I didn't get the chance to stop by.

I have a family friend who lives in Costa Mesa. She's the one who's looking for a large Kimi. I think she's going to Oahu in June. I will let her know about the luau in August!

Kenny

• rox146
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kenny...if your friend goes to Oahu...she must go to the swap at the Aloha stadium. The invest little couple sell fabulous plumeria cuttings there. I bought 9 last May over there. They are all labeled and he has blooms and photos and is reasonable and credited by the ag. dept. so he bundles them for the flight for you.

I believe it is Wednesdays and Sat.& Sun. You can google the swap at the Aloha in Oahu and it comes up.

Aloha, roxanne

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Rox can you give a vector on which side your couple is on or a stall number? That place goes on forever. Its in the shape of a big "O" (just for Mike :).

There is a vendor under the Gate 9 Catwalk that comes across the Moanalua freeway named Clarence who has pretty good prices, Ag stamp, and decent selection too. He said he had about 300 trees on his farm in Waianae.

• rox146
    Original Author
    11 years ago

cannot remember the booth number at all...but they are an elderly Asian couple. As we drove from Waikiki and entered the parking to pay...he was on the exact opposite side of where we parked by the main entrance to stadium. There was another rather large Hawaiian selling not too far from this couple and his stuff was not near as good or as reasonable and lots not named. The little couple actually live about 15 min. from the stadium. Hope this helps. Aloha and Mahalo, roxanne

• rox146
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay Kenny...I am off to Island Plumeria and picking up Pop's Red and maybe Starfish and JL red/orange...I will check the size and price of the Kimi M. for you...not back for 4-5 hours...aloha, roxanne

• rox146
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kenny, I scored a Pop's Red, Lani and My Valentine...he will have Kimi's later ...when he puts them into the big containers like these are...they start at 35-45-55...depending on which ones are rare. These are all rooted and coming with inflos. He is rooting some Mr. Ambassador which I want but don't sound like they will ready this season.

Hope this helps...roxanne

• Kenny
    11 years ago

Roxanne,

Thank you so much for checking on them! I will tell my friend about Kimi.

Were there any Pops Red left? What sizes are available ? Oh man, I didn't know he has Lani there. I've been looking for one...I'll ask my friend to get them for me when she's back to the west coast. Hopefully he will still have some left.

Kenny

• rox146
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, 2 more pop's red triple tipped=$45 And Lani is multi tipped as well..1 of them ,that or my valentine, was $55...not sure which...destroyed all the evidence.. :-)

There are no 1 gallons ...all these are the big 5 or 7 gallon...I know they were sure heavy.

I wanted the JL orange / red and it was not ready...next time. He came to our luau last year...aloha, roxanne

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Roxanne ,

Just reading this list makes me so excited for summer!

All of your trees are winners ! Huge score on the Lani and Pops red. Ok.. My valentine too. I just love them all.

Thinking of the swap meet in Oahu brings back memories!

Hi Kenny !! Hope you get your trees!

Take care

Laura

• rox146
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have had Lani Beauty on my wish list for some time...do you think Lani is the same as???? Sometimes the name thing gets a bit much....maybe numbers would have been better... :-) roxanne

• Kenny
    11 years ago

Roxanne,

LOL! Kudos for destroying the evidence! :)

Lani is the same as Lani's Beauty. I know others have ordered Lani cuttings from QVC in the past. Other than that I don't know where else I could get one except from CA growers.

How tall are the Pops Red at Island Plumeria? Do you think they are shippable? I'm currently planning to go to the PSA sales in Houston this June. Maybe I should ask Jen (jandey) or others who went last year if any blooming size Pops Red were available (waving at Jen). I love red plumerias! I'm getting a JL Black Ruby next month. I was told it's a compact grower :-)

Hi Laura!

Your Lani is the reason I want one! Hope you're doing well :-)

Kenny

• rox146
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Aloha Kenny,

The 3 I bought yesterday were on the shorter side of what I bought from him before. I would sat from the bottom of container up to the top tip..almost 3 feet and maybe a bit under. he does not ship and these were really heavy, I noticed moist soil thru the holes at bottom.

I know they were offering cuttings of Pop's Red at the San Diego sale last weekend. the reason I wanted it rooted, as I read once it too may be hard. I also read that it and Deuvaschelle Red (sp?) were among the top reds for great blooming ability so of course I had to try them.

I still have 9 huge cuttings coming in again from Piece of Paradise this week...My O my....roxanne

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Kenny, I want to say that I did see a few Pop's Red last year, maybe 2-gallon sizes? Don't recall seeing any big ones for sure, and certainly no blooms.

Try texasplumeria.com--that's who I got my big TLD from, placing the order on the phone well in advance. They (the Norwoods) bring a lot of cuttings to the show, but if you ask for a large rooted plant they might be able to help you if you tell them in advance.

Good luck, Kenny! I probably can't make the show this year, but if I can I'll post ahead of time and we can meet up.

11 years ago

Hi Kenny!!!

SO nice to see you too!

All is well here and hoping for warmer temps!!!

You are right, My Lani is one of my favorites.. I just love mine and the beauty of these blooms!!

Hi Roxanne.. I did buy one of those Duvachelle from Fuzzy last year.. Ill let you know if i have any blooms.. Keeping my fingers crossed!!

Kenny is right... Lani and Lani's Beauty are the same!!

You will just love the beauty of this Plumeria!!!

Take care..

Laura

• rox146
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Laura sooo much for clarifying as well...just think, that takes 2 off my wish list then... :-)

Is Duvachelle a really great red? I read from the San Diego AKA list and comments that many thought that and Pop's Red were the 2 best reds to have for color, bloom and smell....I have 2 Kevin's Red and they are incredible....roxanne

• Kenny
    11 years ago

Rox,

I have a Duvauchelle too! It's about 2ft tall but still hasn't bloomed for me yet. Hoping this will be the year I get to see it bloom. Do you like red plumies too? I have multiple wildfires and hilo beauty's...so far I haven't seen any of them bloomed, either the plant got inflo when they shipped to me and those inflos aborted or they came with new tips so I'm in need of some good reds for my collection...I just bought a Schmidt's Red earlier (can't help it).

Jen,

Thanks for the info on the Norwoods. Hopefully I'll get to see you at the PSA sales. I'm coming for sure this time. Planning to stay in Houston for 4 days.

Kenny

• rox146
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wildfire needs to be in everybody's collection....fabulous!

I am trying to increase the orange/reds in my collection. Finding they are a little more sensitive in my area at least.

I don't see Duvauchelle on any of the lists out here. Aloha, rroxanne

11 years ago

Hi Roxanne,

Here is what Diane has on her list about Duvauchelle. (Slavetothefur) Hi Diane!! ;-)

Thought you might like to see.. Good Luck and I am hoping to see blooms this summer. I have heard this is a beauty!!! I also love the reds and Oranges.

DUVAUCHELLE aka Duvauchelle Red, Duvauchelle Special. Originated on the island of Kauai and is named for Alice Kealaula Duvauchelle of Kauai. It
    was brought to Oahu by Gloria Schmidt. Rich colored 3â velvet red with pointed petals that slightly overlap. Slight sweet fragrance with a fair to good
    keeping quality. The foliage is a deep reddish green color. The tree is rarely found on any of the islands and was once was thought to be extinct

Take care,

Laura

• rox146
    Original Author
    11 years ago

wow, Laura thanks for that info...now, where do you buy one? Mahalo, roxanne

• rox146
    Original Author
    11 years ago

p.s. Laura, do you have Irma Bryan? roxanne

11 years ago

Hi Roxanne,

I looked Irma Bryan up.. looks beautiful!!!

No.. i don't have this one!!!

Here is some info for you.. Not trying to enable!! ;-)

Again.. Thanks to DIana!! Her notes....

Irma Bryan #133 aka Irma Bryant, Thai One, Blood Red. Moderate strong red with small pale orange-yellow center; petal wide, elliptical, pointed tip,
    moderately overlapping, slightly wavy edges, moderate reddish-brown bands on front and back; fair texture, 2 1/2" slight spicy scent becoming stronger
    on storage; keeping quality fair. Prone to black tip. Similar in growth habit to âÂÂScott Prattâ and the earliest to flower of the red plumerias. Blood Red with
    velvety veins, petals notched at one corner. Beautiful dark red has a noticeable orange center. Medium tree. Dark red flower with dark orange center
    dark red veins. Deep red 3âÂÂ, strong veining, and small orange center. Due to the heat, the center does show much of the orange coloring. My other Irma
    Bryan which gets a little more shade does show the orange center. Medium compact tree. An amazing bloomer, always my first bloom in early spring
    and always the last in late fall. Recommended for the coast. Not Cold Tolerant. Strong red with small orange-yellow center, elliptical pointed tip, slightly
    wavy edges, moderate reddish-brown bands on front and back, 2.5" slightly spicy scent. Flower stalk is pubescent. Growth habit is upright and dense.
    Reddish green leaves are oblanceolate with acuminate tips and red edges. Lei quality over 12 days. A good example of the ruffle on the petal edge.
    Even Irma Bryan fools a few people because in ideal conditions the deep yellow centre will appear. Look for a dark stripe on the back, and white fuzzies
    in the throat, most of the time irma shows a burnt orange center.
    ÷ Irma Bryan #5 A well overlapped reddish orange with dark red veins. Generous inflorescences on a medium size tree. One of several Irma Bryan
    seedlings. Gorgeous 4-5â plum red blooms with somewhat ruffled petals, overlapping, grainy appearance. Deep reddish coloration on leaves. A very
    beautiful plant. Sweet frangipani fragrance.

Sounds beautiful...

Take care,

Laura

• rox146
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh MY!!!! I have Irma coming in from Derrick on Friday and now I wonder which 1 it is then? You are too kind to send all this info...I am trying to extend the color palette I have with them this year by a lot...many mahalos, roxanne

• Kenny
    11 years ago

Hi Roxanne,

I got Irma Bryan from Derrick today. One of the tips almost came off, I had to put tape around it. The cuttings are sitting in a bucket of mulch waiting for callus now. I'll start the rooting process in 2 weeks.

You can get Duvauchelle from Matt on eBay. :)

Kenny

• rox146
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Aloha Kenny, thanks so much for the info....3 of us have a HUGE box of 50 cuttings coming from him and hopefully they will all be okay. He is even replacing Pauahi Alii for me which totally squished out. He did mention it is a little tricky to root. Thinking of using Sulfur Dust this time and sitting all 10 which are mine on perlite to callus....what do you think? mahalo, roxanne

• Kenny
    11 years ago

Hi Roxanne,

I got 2 Pauahi Ali'i cuttings from him last fall and they both rooted just fine. I got another in the winter so I could gift it to a friend and it hasn't rooted yet. It got a nice full inflo developing though, I started bringing the it outside last week. I hope it'll root by this summer.

I also started rooting a JJ Temptation cutting and an noid orange cutting today. It's gonna be a busy season this year :)

Kenny