Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
first bloom of 2014 is...

Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 22:09

Desert sunrise!! Divine gave it a run for its money but in the end DS won out.
Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: first bloom of 2014 is...

wow Mike....the season is upon us...keep the photos coming.....roxanne

o

Sweet!! Congrats on the early blooms!
Lonnie

o

Beautiful!! You're so lucky to see blooms so soon!

Hopefully mine will start in May or June... but with the May grey and June gloom... it might even be July before I see anything! :(

o

Mike - AWESOME!!! Desert Sunrise is incredible. And to beat out Divine - whoa! LOL!

LOVE IT! Looks like you've got quite an inflo going there too so *we* should all have some serious eye candy coming our way!!! Keep that camera handy.

o

• Posted by k2fl okc 7 (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 21:58

congrats Mike!!! That's a big inflo on your Desert Sunrise! Lots of blooms to come :)

Kenny

o

Mike, I ordered Desert Sunrise from JJ last May and sure hope it blooms this year. Gorgeous!...What is the scent? roxanne

o

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 7:18

Thanks everyone!
Emily. I was surprised myself. My divine seems to push inflos all the time and on 2" inch tips too! This DS was a 2 tip and the other tip has an inflo also.

Kenny. Thanks bud. Just trying to keep up with your collection. Of course we both know that won't happen LoL.

Rox. That's great you got one. I noticed JJ raised his price on it this year. I only paid $20 for this one and I think he wants $40 for the same size now. Mine doesn't have much scent at all. It does make up for that with very vibrant flowers.

Mike

o

• Posted by k2fl okc 7 (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 7:45

Mike, we all could use a little nudge...honestly I have to confess. Back in 2012 I was going to buy that same Desert Sunrise at the nursery but for some reason, didn't so now you're making me regret that decision hahaha.

Kenny

o

She sure is a beauty, Mike!!!

I think Desert Sunrise is one of the most gorgeous trees and is so ever changing. In just a few days of heat she can deepen while sitting next to much lighter blooms. Truly a must have in anyone's collection!!!

She is a favorite of mine and I am So happy for you and your first bloom of the season!!! Looks like a great year for you!!!!

Congratulations!!!

Kenny... You really need one of these!!! ;-).

Have a great day, everyone!!!

Laura

o

Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 9:22

Kenny

You know youll be the first to get a cutting of mine when I get the chance. That is of course if you can wait that long. Haha

Laura.

How have you been. Thanks for the kind words. i was going to send you note about something but I ll put it here. Remember that little Gardenia you sent. Well its doing great and has one bud on it!! Cant wait to see it grow bigger.
Thanks!!

Mike

o

Fabulous, Mike! What a nice reward for the hard winter y'all have had!

Desert Sunrise is one of the most beautiful flowers of any plant I've ever seen, really exceptional. Happy to see it blooming for you!

Rox, I also get very little scent from mine but the flowers more than make up for that. The three-tipper I got from Wendy also had inflos on each tip. Two broke but what a show the last one put on!

Jen

o

Great to see some signs of life after a long winter.

o

Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 20:52

Thanks everyone. Here it is today. Just ignore the leaves. LoL.

o

• Posted by kim319 6A-6B, So Indiana (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 0:33

My Desert Sunrise has a small new inflo too. Hope it will hold out as it is rooting plus the real warm weather hasn't arrived yet. My Divine also had an inflo but I decided to cut it so my cutting will root better as it has some wrinkles.

Oh and my inca gold has an inflo as well. :)

o

Looks great Mike.

Did you keep them under lights in the winter?

Allan

o

Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 22:01

Hey Allan. I was just thinking about you the other day. Was wondering if you still posted here. Actually this one and a couple others are at my parents house in the greenhouse. I haven't built a greenhouse here yet.

Keep you eye on the sky. We had a little taste of strong storms tonight.
Mike

o

Hi Mike!!

Love your Desert Sunrise.. It's beautiful!!

Glad to hear the Gardenia is doing well! This is one of the most fragrant blooms.. I know you will love the fragrance. Please keep me posted about the tree and how you like the fragrance.

Your tree that you gave me is doing well ( delightful seedling). Thanks again for this beauty!!

All is well here in VB Trying to clean up the yard from this awful winter and put all of my trees outside. Most of them are outside except the little ones.
I'll probably have them all Placed on the deck by the end of the week. It looks like we might have another cold spell this week.. So the most tender will stay inside for a few more days.

Take good care!!

Laura

o

Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 11:02

Thanks Laura!

I think you are going to get what we have right now. Saturday was 80, yesterday the high was 83 ahead of the cold front. Todays high is in the high 40's and tonight we will be in the high 20s. I had quite a few plumies out in the shade getting used to waking up and had to put them all back in. Also covered up some figs and bananas that are in the ground.

Hope you dont get as cold as us.

Mike

o

Looking good Mike! Keep up the good work!

I must admit I'm envious of all you lucky people who have blooms already. Here in the SF Bay Area we are in the 80's durrint the day but just got to the 50's at night, so my trees have only been staying outside durring the evenings for about a week now.

Wish I could keep them inside over winter under my black dog Led, but power in CA is crazy expensive. :P

Thanks for sharing,

Jason

o

Mike,

I just started reading the forum again. I have considered my self to be in the off-season. It's good to see that everyone is still at it. As far as the weather goes, i don't wish it on you or anyone else, but i am hopeful that it will skip Moore this year... fingers crossed.

o

Congrats, Mike!
Of course I'm wondering when Southwood is going to get in their plumies this year. ;)

I thought about you last night as I was walking the dog. The house on the corner of 17th Pl and Victor had all their plumies out. A man who's a relative of the people who own the house was working outside so I chatted him up. Turns out it's his mother-in-law who went nuts for plumies after going to Hawaii. I asked him if she planned on bringing them in and apparently he was going to leave them outside (it was 32 this morning). Good thing I spoke up! When I walked back home they were all inside again. :)

-Robert

o

Almost forgot! Laura's gardenia that she sent to us Okies opened the other day! It smells amazing and the bloom is huge! 4" across!

Thanks again, Laura!

-Robert

o

Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 14:40

thanks jason! Yours will start up soon.

Allan. good to see you are back I hope you get a much needed break from bad weather. how are your plants doing.

Robert, How have you been doing. Wont be long now. It was late May last year when they got them wasnt it? Unless they get one of his newer releases Ill pass on getting any. At least until they get marked down then I might. I brought out 4222 over the weekend. it was still looking good after being out in the barn for months. All you plants doing Ok?
I remember that house. Its a good thing you talked to him. they would have suffered pretty good.

take care.
Mike.

o

I'll just wait for your report on when Southwood gets in the plumies. I know you'll be the first to know! ;)

Glad to hear 4222 is still doing great for you. I've lost a lot of trees over the winter by overwatering and by not heating the basement. :(
Oh, well. Gives me a chance to buy more plants! I'm trying P. stenopetala this year and I've got a giftcard to Southwood which I'm sure I'll use on another plumie. Laugh.

-Robert

o

Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 16:01

I try to get by there once a week to see what is new. I hardly ever buy anything, well I did get more canna bulbs a month ago and a couple broccoli starts. Mostly I just walk around dreaming.

Oh no. which ones didnt make it. Im sure we can all help you re-stock your collection.

mike

o

I bought some Robert Kemp cannas for the hummers a couple of weeks ago that I still haven't potted up!

I lost several plumies- CA Sunset, Chiang Mai Rainbow, Bankok Fire, Duke, Fuzzy's Red Rose, Gardenia, Pink Kiss, etc.
Some I might be able to cut off the dead portions and try to root cuttings or what not (that's what I'm going to try to do with Gold Coast Peachy witch is my fav for scent).
I'm really not that upset about it since I have a zillion other potted fragrant plants. You should have seen the basement this morning! :)

-Robert

o

Hi Robert!!!

Your Gardenia is simply beautiful... I'm so happy you love the fragrance.. I think it is the strongest fragrance for a Gardenia. Just gorgeous...

Mike.. That cold front is ready to make its presence... We are expecting a 45 degree drop in temps. Today it was 80 degrees and tonight they say it will drop to mid 30's . So... I had to bring In 40 of the big boys.. Drives me nuts!!!

I guess it's better then worrying about them with those kind of temps..

Here is a pic of the great room.. Yes, the hubby eyes are a rolling... ;-)

I hope all of the Gardenias that went to the " Okie " guys are doing well!

Thanks for the pics..

Laura

o

Haha! I always think I'm nuts until I see Laura's pics. Laugh.
I bet that was quite the workout moving all those pots! :)

-Robert

o

Mike,

My plants are doing ok. I've still got them in a bathtub that gets some sun. They are starting to wake up and I've still got to re-pot them. I made the mistake of putting them in pots that are smaller at the bottom and the wind easily tips them over. So now, I've got some black nursery pots ready.

My gardenia form Laura is still living and is starting to get some new growth. I hope that a bloom isn't far behind.

The only new addition i have so far is that i am trying my first bougainvillea. So, anyone who can tell me how not to kill it, feel free to speak up.

o

Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 17:53

Just wanted to share my moms desert rose. I had bought 2 at the.time and gave her this one. It looks a lot better than the one I kept. Its been in her greenhouse.

o

STUNNING I have never tried these....difficult? roxanne

o

Mike!!

She sure is a beauty!! Just think of the beautiful Caudex ...

I have one that I just lifted and its a monster. If you want a pic, I'll share .

Its lovely!!!!

Take care,

Laura

o

Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 22:32

Rox. They are super easy. You should get some..notice I said some LoL.

Laura. Thanks. Photos of yours are always welcome. Infact it was yours that got me interested in DR's. I just repotted mine and it has a cool hole through that cadeux. Its should be great. I had to prune it way back because of how lanky it was getting. Its not looking to great right now.

Mike

o

Hi mike!!!

Thank you... ;-)

Remember. This is coming out of dormancy and it doesn't have many leaves, but I did give it a trim. I repotted and lifted the Caudex three to four inches because of the size. I wouldn't lift that high on smaller trees.

I added new mix and here is the new bad boy ready for the new season!!!

Its about 10 years old. Just has pink flowers. But I love the Caudex !!!

Thanks, mike!!!!

Laura

o

The other side and a cup and another DR for size...

Have a great night!!

Thanks for letting me post to your thread, mike!!! I know you love these. I do too!!! ;-)

Laura

o

Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 10:56

Those are great Laura!! Looks like you had a nice sunny day to bring them out. Your deck looks a little bare with out the forest. Hope you can brings them all out soon. Mine have been hangin out in some filtered shade. i may give them full sun this week. Although next Monday looks like a cool front is coming with lows in the upper 30's. :(

o

Mike,

I'm going to pretend that I didn't just read that!
So sick of bringing pots in and out!
Plus I just planted a bunch of stuff in the ground. :(
Let's hope it doesn't get that cold!

-Robert

o

I'm so sick of these cold temps too... Like you said mike, my deck is bare..

Everything is still inside. It's awful...

Please spring, we are ready....

Laura

o

Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 12:57

Mostly my veggies are out in the ground, but moving my big citrus trees around gets old.
I have few tropicals i plan to plant out but Im waiting until May.

good news though maybe. This morning my weather channel app on my phone said 39 for the over night lows next monday/tuesday but now it say 43. I dont lose sleep over 40's but seeing 30's gets me worried.I really think and hope we are in the clear but just keep an eye out.

mike

o

This has been such a crazy winter. I'm not as brave as Laura as I haven't even thought of getting mine out yet. "Great Pic" Mike of your DS. It sure is a beauty. I love the DR! None of mine are showing any sign of blooms. :( I'm hoping for a better year of blooms than last. Thanks for all your great pics Laura. I never get tired of see them. Robert your Gardenia is so pretty. I know the smell must be overpowering. Hope everyone has a great bloom year. Peg

o

Sat, May 10, 14 at 22:13

I think I know where John got the name for desert sunrise. Just look how much orange it has in it now. I moved this out of the greenhouse a couple weeks ago and put it in some shade to acclimate it to the full sun. Amazing color. Temps have been anywhere from 60's to near 90. 50's-60's at night.
Mike

o

I am so excited, my DS has it's 1st info this year and hope it blooms as well as yours. roxanne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here