Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alicia82_gw

Plumeria shopping in Hawaii

alicia82
13 years ago

I will be traveling to Hawaii next month and was wondering where in Honolulu or on Maui would be a good source for plumeria cuttings to bring back to TX. I am particularly interested in multicolor varieties.

Comments (38)

• sunseeker53
    13 years ago

Alicia, I am also going to Hawaii (at the end of this month), and have been asking around the same question! I had planned to go to both Oahu and Maui, but have now decided to stay in Oahu the whole time, so I just want to share the information I've got so far for Oahu.
    - The Aloha Stadium swap meet: several people have told me they bought cuttings there and were happy with them.
    - The Dole Plantation: you might find named varieties there, I heard that they sell Jim Little's varieties.
    - If you specifically want Jim Little's varieties, you may try to contact this ebay seller "1-stop-aloha", he is on Oahu.
    Once I'm there I'll also ask the locals, I'm sure a few people will be able to point me to the right places!
    Good luck and have fun!

• uglyhair
    13 years ago

A collector up here in Ventura has an entire backyard filled with plumeria brought back from Hawaii. He has gone annually for 20-30 years. All he does is walk around and knock on a few doors and ask the residents if he can take some cuttings off their tree. Trim the leafs, make sure they are clean (no dirt), and you can have them checked out by the Agricultural Department and shipped back home with you. Confirm things with your home states Ag Department to be 100% sure.

So, if you are willing to do a little work, you can bring back a pile of plumeria that cost you just the shipping. I can't wait for my next Maui trip.....

Cheers, Mike
    Ventura, CA

• slave2thefur
    13 years ago

I heard that the Dole Plantation no longer sells Little's cuttings.
    Don't forget to bring a marker pen, camera to photograph the blooms that match the cutting, handy wipes for all the sap, a scrubber sponge and either bring or purchase your own small saw so the homeowner doesn't have to fetch one. The airports have Ag inspection - no dirt, moss, lichens, etc. on the cuttings.

If you buy at the swap meet, the Ag inspection is already done.

Don't miss Koko crater, but you can't take cuttings from there....diana

• sunseeker53
    13 years ago

I also heard that Community Centers may sometimes have sales of plumeria cuttings.
    I am sooo looking forward to coming back with lots of cuttings!!
    Since I'm going to be in Jim Little's country, I'm hoping to get some JL's named varieties, but of course any homeowners there who are nice enough to let me take a few branches from their trees, I won't be shy, even if they are mostly NoIDs :-) Packing my garden shears, markers, handy wipes, etc.. (thanks for the tips Diana!)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    13 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Great advice....

Have a great time in Maui...Oahu!!!

I have to say that i second that Koko Crater is a must see...breathtaking view of Diamondhead from there as well... especially the meaning of Koko Crater and the burial momuments...quite touching....visit the welcome center..and hopefully you will be lucky to talk to one of the veterans that volunteer there....( thanks to all of our veterans!!!)

Dont forget to visit Pearl Harbor...they also have some gorgeous trees..as well as a wonderful tour...

Have a great time...let us know how your visit went...what you found..pics are always welcome too!

Have a great day everyone!!!

Laura in VB

• labland
    13 years ago

I too will be going May 11th, staying up at the North Shore by Jim Little's place of residence. hopefully, I can get some JL cuttings as well. My biggest problem is my husband thinks 15 plants is plenty. Will have to convince him otherwise. I too may just get cuttings from family/friends. Will see. I don't remember going to Koko Crater over these many 35+ years of visiting family. It is on my list to visit. Frm what I have read, they have great varieties to see, but as Laura says, you can't take any.

Good luck and good visiting the islands! Jennifer

• tdogdad
    13 years ago

I contacted Jim Little and he told me that there are two stores on the north shore of Oahu(country side) that carry his plants. One is the Dole Plantation store (take H2 toward Haleiwa and just at Schofield Barracks go right on 99 and Dole is a mile or two up the road) and the other is the Waimea Valley Country store. Both of these carry an excellent selection of JL cuttings which I consider to be some of the best varieties you can find in the islands. Hope this helps. Bill

• sunseeker53
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for the all suggestions!
    I've been in Hawaii a few times, but have always stayed in Kona/the Big Island, this is the first time I will be staying on Oahu, so I'm so looking forward to visiting all the well-known (and lesser known) sites in Oahu! This time I'm even more excited because of my new "mission" (plumerias!).
    Bill, thanks for checking on JL's plumerias! Dole Plantation is on my list, but I am adding the Waimea Valley Country store. I have also contacted a couple of eBay sellers that are on Oahu so may be able to get some good named varieties from them too.
    The problem is... when I come back... where am I going to fit all these plumerias in my yard? (but it would be a nice problem to have, wouldn't it? :-)

• tdogdad
    13 years ago

When you go out H-1 east toward Hawaii Kai, the last intersection (chevron gas,foodmart) before the road goes up the hill to Hanauma Bay (great snorkling), you will come to Lunalilo road. Going right takes you out into Portlock/Koko head, rich district, where there are insane mansions and gardens. Going left takes you into many nice homes with many nice plants. When Lunalilo hits Hawaii Kai drive turn right which takes you along the crater where the plumeria gardens are. At the dead end turn right and then another right into the park. Many of these plants were infected with an imported borer beetle so they are not to be taken but the collection is very nice. Also if you take the main road along the Waikiki beach toward Diamond Head and get on Diamond Head road which becomes Kahala road (rich district) and at the end of the road is the Kahala hotel (former Hilton,former Oriental). Go in the lobby,turn right and go down stairs to the glass floor over the aquarium and into the dining area for breakfast. Pricy, but treat yourself and then explore the grounds, the fish pools, the beach with a great view of Koko Head. There are some singapore trees on the grounds. I also like to walk back toward Diamond head (right) along the beach in front of the big mansions. You can also go down the trails at Diamond Head Beach Park and walk toward Black point on the beach and go in front of the big mansions there. Remember, big money has expensive landscapers who install rare and beautiful plants. Please, do not take without asking. Stealing is stealing and is beyond rude to me. Bill

• Kimo
    13 years ago

Alicia,

Your best bet is to actually try the community center route, or Swap meet they hold at the stadium (good for Orchids, Plumies and food, etc.). The thing about Oahu is that certain areas might be a bit rough like certain parts of Wainai and Ewa. I would not go up to a strangers house as you will not always find a warm reception, might actually be scary. I had a friend in Hawaii and in her spare time would go and hunt for plumies and knock on strangers doors, sometimes she would get a warm enough reception after she offered cash, but a lot of times she would get people who would tell her off or slam the door in her face. So if you do go around you should have someone go with you just in case.

I buy all my cuttings and plants (I rarely except a gifted plumie, especially due to space issues now.). Literally I can count that I have only accepted 3 gifted plumies over the decades that I have been collecting and they were from good plumie friends and it was more like a trade as I had gifted them first, waving at Bill...thanks for the yellow Rainbow, Jennifer MPG for the Mikes Pink. Matter of fact I have only had one arranged trade where I traded a cutting of my JL Golden Pagoda for a cutting of Red Dusk from Gabby 2 yrs ago, matter of fact Bill was there when I did the trade while at our Jungle Jack Field trip..Lol

Personally I hate it when someone sees me in my patch and asks "do you sell your plants or cuttings?", "are you a nursery" and expects me to sell them a cutting/plant or just gift it to them, it's like feeding stray animals once you do they will keep on coming back and often with friends. I really hate cutting my plants and only cut them when they need shaping, and only then do I gift the cutting to a friend. I will usually buy a plumie friend a plant from a plumie nursery and gift it to them rather then cut off my plants. I have given many, many, many plants and cuttings away over the years, but only to close plumie friends. My point is you might be better off going to the suggest places to get your cuttings like the community centers (use to be 1.00 a cutting a while ago.).
    Good luck on your plumie exploits and have safe fun.

• labland
    13 years ago

Thanks for calling Jim Bill! I had tried the email address I had but it is no longer "in service". I will try the Waimea Country store first, as I am familiar with it. We don't go to many of the tourist places, but may due to time, it will depend on whether my sister takes off work, and whether my brother-in-law has many fishing charters that week. Thanks guys, Freak4plumeria, I agree with you. Knocking in stranger's houses in some areas of Hawaii are not a good idea, but I myself a a private person and not likely to do that anyway! Cuttings should be gifted. Plumerias are special!

• tdogdad
    13 years ago

Boy, what James (F4P)said is quite true. I had one lady ask for a plant and I gave her one, and the next week she showed up with a car load of friends. I also was cutting and came back to my box of cuttings that had taped numbers on to find some guy going through the box like he was shopping at a store. He looked up and said, "what are these numbers? How do I know what kind this is?" The impudent gall. I also have a number of James' stray dogs who got something and now show up every year looking for more freebees. If you have these plants long enough, you will possibly experience some negative encounters or theft. Nothing like spending eight years shaping a plant artistically and waking up to find someone had torn one side off. I could go on, but i vented. By the way, James, I was drooling over that golden pagoda, so I saw the trade very closely.LOL Bill

13 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I have to agree...some of my favoite Plumeria are from my friends...knowing that they wanted to share...makes it even more special....Thank you to my special friends!!!

To those that are wanting to "knock " just be careful and be respectfull... We all know our friends here on this forum will be.... : )

I know the excitement that we all "feel" especially when starting your collection...i have and will always cherish the cuttings that are gifted to me...means everything!!!

Remember...good Karma!!!

Have a great time visiting the Beautiful Islands...

Take care everyone...

Laura in VB

• slave2thefur
    13 years ago

Also try the Farmer's Market at the Kapiolani Community College every Saturday morning in Honolulu.

• jandey1
    13 years ago

Wow, James and Bill, am I glad I've never asked another gardener for plants! Those are seriously shameless people that show up for freebies and then bring their friends along for them, too!

My elderly neighbor has what I'm sure are two Celadines that I'd love a cutting of but I've never been able to bring myself to ask for one in the eight years I've lived here. I'm just grateful to have another soul nearby to talk plants with.

If we ever (!) make it to Hawaii, I will be sure we get to the hotel Bill described for breakfast and a wander around the grounds. It sounds incredible.

Jennifer

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

I really wanted to put my plumeria out front this year. I did it last year and had no problems but for the most part, they were all small rooted plumeria(except my DSP). I had no problems but I had them all by my front door, right on my small porch. This year I have way too many to do that. I want to sink them into the soil but now I worry that someone will steal them from me.

I have never had this happen in the 8 years I have lived here. I just wonder if now I will be asking for it, advertising these beautifull tropical trees in my front flower beds. Hmm..maybe I need to rethink this.

Andrew

• Kimo
    13 years ago

My issue is the frequency, even my property manager at my patch complains that since the property is all fenced off with Video surveillance, she gets a lot of people who use their keys and roughly tap on the wrought Iron gate or just scream and yell out "Hello" loudly. My property manger is an elderly older woman who lives alone, so when people scream out, or jump the gate and ring the bell it startles her, not in a good way. Again when I am at my patch, watering, repotting, spraying, weeding or feeding my plumies during growing season 50 percent of the time I have someone come up the the property line to solicit me regarding the plumies, so it gets annoying. Also as Bill stated I have had branches broken off from plants close to the fence and even whole plants in up to 5 gallon pots that have been stolen,thus the video and security fence.

Bill let me know and I would be more then happy to give you a Golden Pagoda cutting.

Cheers

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Hi Freak,
    THAT"S TERRIBLE!!!!!!! I believe in Karma and it makes me wonder, how many of those people who bust these branches off end up losing the plumeria in the long run??

I wonder..Have you ever seen anyone in your neighborhood with a plumeria that looks like yours? I would spaz but what can you do at that point?? And to hear that peole are stealing entire trees. I would be so angry at that!

Andrew

• tdogdad
    13 years ago

People can be really selfish and thoughtless. I once planted over a dozen 5 year old plants of about 12 varieties along a beautiful walkway by the ocean. Soon branches got ripped off and then entire plants were taken. Today, not one plant survived the onslaught. I had plans to decorate several parks and along a freeway, but I learned that lesson the hard way.

13 years ago

Hello Everyone,

What a shame to have all of those trees stripped....

Bill..i remember you posting about how beautiful all of those trees were....and then they just kept cutting and taking the trees down to nothing....

The real problem is that those people hurt all of the others that would have enjoyed their beauty...and then would have benefited when you (now if you) want to try and plant in some parks..or other places...(cant say that i blame you for not wanting to try again...)

Im sorry to hear about all of your losses as well as yours James...people sometimes are just to quick to react before they really think of the consequences....

what a shame...

James..says alot about the world we are living in when you have to put up cameras to watch you trees....saddens me...

Take care everyone...

Laura in VB

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Couldn't have said it better myself Laura but I am not going to let this discourage me. I am going to go ahead with my plumeria plans. If someone damages them, or steals them I will move them somewhere else.

At least where I live, most people aren't familiar with them. Hopefully this will work out to my advantage, and I live more out of the way.

Andrew

• plumeriafan43
    13 years ago

Hello,
    10 days ago I soaked and planted 100's of seeds in (12) 2'x1' seed germination containers. I left town and they were moved for 2 days to direct sun where temps reached 110 inside these containers. Does anyone know if these seeds are fried? Im completely new to this and really worried about my new hobby. So I really appreciate everyones help, thank you.

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Plumeriafan,
    I would say that those temps are a little high. I recently tried to germinate some soursop seeds and I believe I lost mine from high temps like you did. They are tropical trees but to me those temps are pretty darn high.

Andrew

• irun5k
    13 years ago

I would second what freak said earlier regarding looking for cuttings in Hawaii. I would not just start walking door to door.

I used to live on Kauai and there are a lot of dynamics at play that the casual tourist is not aware of. For one, some tourists do things that are unfortunate and have sadly led to stereotypes. For example my friend who worked at Costco was constantly talking about tourists returning uneaten, perishable food at the end of their trip. So someone who could afford a several thousand dollar vacation is going to return a $2 loaf of bread that they didn't eat, or a box of frozen food, etc. that Costco will have to throw away.

Not to mention, most of the locals work *hard*. As in, two, sometimes three jobs and they do so to provide a good life for their families. And you have multiple generations living in a house because a "starter house" was driven up to 500K back in the housing boom with investors from the mainland buying up property.

Of course, tourists play the largest role in the local economy and I would never intend to discount that. However, in my opinion a successful holiday in Hawaii begins with an attempt to understand and appreciate the local culture... and I don't mean by simply going to a luau. Locals on most of the Hawaiian islands are some of the nicest folks you will meet and it is sad that this is sometimes taken advantage of.

As others have mentioned there are ample places where Plumeria cuttings can be obtained in a proper way that will be a deal for you yet still benefit a local person directly. Also, if you are at a market and want something and they don't seem to have it- ask! We needed banana leaves for a recipe once and nobody had them but one of the vendors was back in 5 minutes with all that we needed.

Lastly, some areas are definitely on the rough side. These are places where you can disregard the part I said about the "nicest folks anywhere." Knocking on a door in these areas would be ill-advised. Unless you're with a local or do a ton of research you might stumble on one of these areas by accident.

Aloha,
    Brian

• labland
    13 years ago

Reading all of these stories, it does amaze me what people will do! Along the same line, I had taken a group of 10 family members to Disneyland last Friday. it was fairly warm. We were in line for Dumbo and saw some teenagers climbing the rocks to get to the waterfall and cool down. This is a fenced off area, yet did that stop them... No! Yet if anyone fell, you bet they would sue immediately. People amaze me!

• houstonpat
    13 years ago

Alcia in Cypress... In scanning the posts I didn't notice mention of Plumeria Society of America, here in Houston, has 2 sales a year. Prices can be a little steep, but not always. Each spring I give away lots of cuttings, some rooted plants in the fall. Drop me a line if you have any requests. Presently I have plenty of Pinwheel White. I also have available an unnamed wild raibow from my brothers old house in Ewa Beach. On O'ahu you'll find many fine botanical gardens, such as the one behind the University of Hawaii Manoa. As retired Navy, when on Waikiki I find the beach at Fort DeRussy the best. :) open to the public.

• viper168
    12 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm going to Honolulu in the summer, I will shop for plumerias in the swap meet and see if I can find some good looking one. If anyone has experience doing this, would you please tell me if I need to bring it to HDOA office to get them certified then mail back by USPS to Los Angeles? or can I get them inspect at the airport then mail or bring them back to the state? Which swapmeet do you think I can find the most plumeria? Thanks.

• slave2thefur
    12 years ago

The plumeria sold at the Aloha swap meet are already bagged and certified. Just tell the ag security at the airport and they'll give it a stern, official once-over and you're done. Any other cuttings must be cleaned and deleafed, and you can get the ag inspection at the airport or any time before you leave.

from my notes...
    The two sellers at the Aloha Swap meet are Clarence Nishikata and Andrew Shigao. They will package your cuttings with the agriculture certificate and you will not need to have them certified at the airport. You can also pick up Jim Little cuttings at the Waimea Plantation store, the Polynesian Culture Center (main store) and at the Dole Plantation. They will be packaged and certified as well.

• viper168
    12 years ago

Thanks slave2thefur for your response. Which shop or place do you think I can find the most varieties of plumeria and cheaper price? I am planning to buy 30-50 if I can find the color I like, and possibly buy another 10 or 20 for relatives & friends.

• slave2thefur
    12 years ago

In that case, find out which days are for green waste pickup, and get curbside before they do. Another idea is to take to the swap meet vendors and make a deal with them. There are other travelers who have brought back large quantities, perhaps they will chime in. =^,,^= diana

• viper168
    12 years ago

Thanks slave2thefur again, I think i will try to bargain with the swap meet vendor and see if I can get a good deal.

• sunseeker53
    12 years ago

I bought from Mr Nishikata at the Aloha swap meet and his prices are very low (on average $5 a cutting, and they are larger than what you get pre-packaged at the Dole Plantation, which are $15 for a 12" cutting on average). However he may not know all the names of his cuttings.
    I just want to mention something to you: It sounds like an awful lot of cuttings you're planning to bring back. If you like some of the more common varieties (like Candy Stripe, Smith's Candy Apple, Celadine etc...) I just recently discovered that you can get really good deals right here in southern Calif! This weekend I just attended the SCPS meeting in Huntington Beach, and got a large 2 feet long with 3 tips Candy Stripe cutting for $10.
    Good luck plumeria hunting!

• viper168
    12 years ago

Thanks sunseeker53 for your tips, actually I'm a newbie for plumeria planting, but I love to have a collection of different colors and different scents. Someday I may trade my plumeria with other people. I really don't care about there name anyway. I think 50 branches will be way more than I can handle, I probably thinking about 20-30 will be ok. I have about 30 seedling I bought from ebay seller in Thailand and they are about 3-4 inches now, I hope they are not the same one that I see at home depot.

• sunseeker53
    12 years ago

You're welcome!
    Somebody said that seedlings are like a box of chocolate, you don't what you are going to get! I have a large number of seedlings too, and if even just one or two special ones come out of the bunch, I'd be very happy! (but it's going to be 2-3 more years probably before I see any flowers).
    Did you have any problems receiving your order from Thailand? I saw some very nice plumerias from Thailand eBay sellers, but have heard so many horror stories about them being confiscated etc... so I haven't tried, but I'm curious to hear about people who have actually ordered and received their plants from Thailand. I saw that a well-known seller (Anyamanee) is stating that they won't ship plants to California.

• viper168
    12 years ago

I am sorry sunseeker53, I don't think I can give you a accurate answer because I only buy once from ebay which is the seeds. I got 50 seeds and about 38 seeds germinated, I think i planted them in bad timing which I started in late summer. I tried to move them indoor overnight and outdoor before I go to work, I got 25 seedling left after winter (LA winter, it was cold last winter). I heard some people said it's difficult to deal with Ca buyer due to CDFA regulation, the only thing i can suggest is make sure the seller responsible for it if the plant got confiscated, I see some seller don't responsible if plant got confiscated.

• qaguy
    12 years ago

Here's what I know about bringing back plumeria cuttings
    from Hawaii.

I've done it many times in Kona (Big Island) and the drill there goes like this:

You show up at the ag inspection station at the airport
    with your cuttings, a box to hold them, packing and tape.
    Ag doesn't supply anything.

They will inspect your cuttings and, if all is well, you
    then pack up your cuttings for shipping/travel. They
    will then stamp them with the official stamp. You then
    have 24 hours to get them out of Hawaii. You can mail
    them or you can take them on the plane with you. You may
    not open the box until you get to the mainland.

Don't know how it works on the other islands, but it should
    be about the same.

• houstonpat
    12 years ago

I brought Plumeria cuttings and bulbs to O'ahu. Filled out the forms on the flight. Then when I got to the inspection station at the terminal it was unmanned. I loudly requested inspection and waited around for 15 minutes. Then I just shrugged my shoulders and proceeded out the door. Pretty slack..

• viper168
    12 years ago

Hi everyone, I finally bought a bunch of plumeria cutting at statium swapmeet, I went there on Sat, only 2 boths selling plumeria cutting, one own by a man another bigger one own by a old woman with a van at the back. The one selling by the man has less selection, and the price is higher because the cutting is larger, like 1.5 to 2ft long for about $20 each. I got mine from the old woman because she has some $10 package that contain two cuttings with like 12-15" and another smaller one like