Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scott_madison

Breaking dormancy?

Took my plumeria to work a couple weeks ago... I work at a greenhouse... And put it in the propagation house. The temperature in there usually hovers in the mid to upper 80's. I've watered it a couple times, letting it dry down between waterings. Still no sign of any growth. Approximately how long before plumerias break dormancy? These are rather curious plants to me. Despite the fact I've been a certified plant geek all my life... and have grown everything from marigolds to orchids... Plumerias are new to me and just seem a little odd.

Comments (5)

• Kimo
    9 years ago

Scott,
    Besides temps you need a certain amount of light, actually hours of light. So until your plumies decide its time they may stay asleep for a bit longer. You can add grow lights to extend the amount of light they get per day and you should see results within a short time (like 2 or 3 weeks or less).

Also heat and lighting and humidity can alter plumies colors, size and even shapes.

Good Luck

• kennym_2010
    9 years ago

I don't know if it is true with all cultivars of plumerias but mine, that I've had for at least 15 years, starts to look wet on the very tips. Then within 2 weeks the leaves start growing. I let nature take it's couse, I never tried to wake the. However it makes since what freak4 said.

Wet looking tips is the sign I always see.

Cheers

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    9 years ago

They just might be hitting the snooze button...I have some that are pushing out leaves and some that don't have the slightest bit of greening up at the tips. Most are somewhere in between. IMO... I have very little to do with whenever each plant wakes.

I think the air temps are just fine for keeping the soil warm. Are you watering straight out of the tap and do you know what the water temp may be? Maybe you should keep a container of water in the propagation house to use for the water to come up to ambient temperature. That way you aren't chilling the roots. I don't know that it would make a difference but it seems to me that you want to keep the soil (and roots) warm to promote growth.

• kennym_2010
    9 years ago

Kms2, I think your right. They are hitting the snooze button. Mine (as I remember) always was in leaf by now. Some years I even had them outside. What has me puzzled is they have been kept inside every year in the same spot as I did this year. This is the first year that they have taken this long. A few other people I know that have plumerias, theirs is still dormant also. Snooze button is my vote!!

• mare2
    9 years ago

I'm in a similar zone, and I've noticed mine is taking much longer to break dormancy this year. I can't help but wonder if it's our extra cold (and long!) winter. In some years it's started to wake up as early as February. This year it's just recently begun to pop. I can't help but wonder if it knows something. Maybe it knew we'd be having snow flurries outside today! Can't say I blame it for wanting to stay asleep....

Sponsored
Custom Decks, Patios & Outdoor Enclosures Solutions in Loudoun County