Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plumerias from Hawaii - bringing to Australia

Posted by silverbeachshack none (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 22:29

Does anyone know if there is a problem bringing sealed packaged Plumeria cuttings through Customs in Australia?

My husband will be in Oahu soon and I would like him to bring back a cutting or two to strike in my garden. I have been reading about the ones sold at Doles Pineapple being quite good, but not sure if their packaging is passable to be allowed into Australia.

Are the ones sold at the Honolulu airport gift shops able to be brought into Australia?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plumerias from Hawaii - bringing to Australia

Do NOT get the ones i n the airport! If you get one from a garden of a gracious native... mahalo to them and have the ag guys at the airport OKAY it for you and carry it on board as carry on.....brought 6 over this way last trip.

o

What is the problem regarding the ones sold at the airport? Thanks for the tip. Did you have any trouble at the Australian customs declaring plant material?

o

the ones in the airport are a joke...if he is on Oahu, have him get out to the Aloha Stadium for the Swap meet. There is a great older Asian couple there that sell FABULOUS cuttings all named and stamped for air travel...he has photos and flowers of the ones he sell so you can smell the scent etc.

Ask some locals for the days of the swap, or I think it is still on the internet if you google it....good luck.

o

The ones at the Dole Plantation kiosk are straight from Jim Little's farm, they are of excellent quality. They sell named varieties that are certified for export. Being in the US, I only know of our laws so you may want to check with the kiosk directly to ensure that they are exportable to Australia as well. In addition, if you call the kiosk and talk to Kara ahead of time, you can order all sorts of things that are not usually available at the kiosk, and pick them up at the kiosk on a specified date. That's how I got my Don Ho cutting. :-) Call Kara Gorgonio, I believe the phone # is (808) 255-8474 (I have her email as well if you want to PM me). She does not handle any of the mail order stuff, just kiosk orders and pick-ups.

o

Silverbeachshack,
Your husband will have to declare the plants on the passenger card. If your husband declares the cuttings, even though they are stamped, they will have to go through customs check point and evaluated. The Ag people may decide your cuttings need to be further evaluated and quarantined and treated. If your cuttings get treated there will be a cost involved that you will have to pay.

Good Luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here