Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irun5k_gw

is this a record?

irun5k
12 years ago

A $600 cutting???

Kapalua, 15 or 16 tips from Exotic Plumeria. For this price, you'd better hope it roots!!!! Us regular folk can get a 1 or 2 tip cutting for a mere $100.

I'm guessing the answer is no... but does anyone have a Kapalua?

Brian

Comments (26)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hey Brian,

OMG...That is a record in my book!!!

I will have to go and check this one out. Just to see what it looks like!!

That is the most expensive cutting i have ever heard of...

Whew..!!!

Laura

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Well, it IS "extra extra super duper."

Do like the look and sound of it, though. However, if I put another variety on my list it may be the final straw for my hubby, lol.

• sflgplume
    12 years ago

LOL Brian--you better hope it roots indeed! And I thought some of the JL cuttings on eBay were expensive...

I was so curious that I had to look for myself...Kapalua is gorgeous, as are many of the plumies on the EP website...I especially loved Luau, so pretty...but their prices are off the charts.

• purdee54
    12 years ago

I bought a mature rooted twelve tipped Kapalua from Exotic Plumeria about three years ago. At that time, I did not remotely come close to spending $600 for it. However I did fall in love the moment I laid eyes on it. Why its gone up so much in price...I have no idea. But the plant has been a vigorous grower and I've rooted several cuttings from it and given them to fellow collectors here in the Tampa area. It is true...it is the orangest plumeria or flower I've ever seen. It certainly stands out in color from any of my other forty plumerias. But what attracted me to it wasn't the color but it's scent. Strong, sweet, perfumy and delicate. As a matter of fact, within the month, I will have a dozen Kapaluas inflos opening with flowers. Can't wait for that.
    Would I spend that much on a Kapalua cutting...probably not. But if I was asked to keep just one plumeria in my collection...the Kapalua would be it. Maybe because its the most expensive one I own...lol.
    There is one other plumeria that Exotic sells and it's called 'Ember'. It smells almost like the Kapalua, not as strong and its orange and purple. Its my second favorite but I found it more susceptible to viruses and pests than my other species. Next time I'm at Exotic Plumeria I will ask Alan why the Kapalua is so expensive. By the way if you haven't visited Exotic Plumerias website lately, take a look. Its been redone with excellent photographs of plumerias.

• irun5k
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Very interesting to find someone with a Kapalua! I wish I would have bought several cuttings when you bought yours... the offspring could have helped pay for my son's college in 14 years or so!!!

Please post photos when yours bloom- I am curious how close they look to the photos on the Exotic Plumeria site (you are right- their new site is much, much better than the old.)

I bought one Plumeria from Exotic. They do seem to have healthy plants and they have a good selection. They seem to be on the expensive side- I wish they'd do something more for local customers... the price is the price whether they're shipped or not and I have to imagine shipping is $$$$ these days, plus the time it takes to pack them.

Brian

• pcput
    12 years ago

Hi Brian, Too rich for my blood !!! Can you imagine it not rooting ??? I've heard groups set up day trips in your area that go to EP. I guess the next time I'm down your way I should plan a trip over just to see it. Peg

• georgecc
    11 years ago

I'm having a heck of a time finding Kapalua (unless I have $600 for a cutting, in which case it would be easy). Anyone know of a more reasonable source for one? My yard is aching for a true orange.

• DelWH
    11 years ago

Bill listed several orange cultivars in an earlier post. Perhaps you can check one of these.

Here is a link that might be useful: Orange Plumies

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Actually JL had a cutting when it first came out as in intro wanted $1000.00 for a 15" to 20" cutting of the Sumatra (not sure of spelling???). Other then that I know JL had a few of his cuttings all new intros go for the high 600 range. So for the size and number of tips its not out of this world pricing wise. I also heard that a lot of the Exotic Plumeria Rara Hawaiian cuttings were actually from the Tobas.

• DelWH
    11 years ago

Matt has said that way back, Jim Little sold him a cutting for $400. He asked why so much and Jim said that he will make all his money back and more when he begins selling cuttings from it.

• georgecc
    11 years ago

Bill put up a great list. A lot of beauties there. But here's where I need some aesthetic advice. My plumeries on one side of the yard are placed in an "L" shape. On one side I have a 3.5' x 6' wide California Sunset, and on the other side of the "L" I have a 6' x 4' Bali Hai Gold (mostly pure yellow with slight white). In the middle I'd love to place a Kapalua, as I think the pure orange would go well between a yellow/orange/pink (CS) and a yellow (BHG). However, since I won't consider quick illegal activities as budget boosters, I may have to go in a different direction. :)

Which in Bill's list do you think would look best between a California Sunset and a Bali Hai Gold, avoiding ones that look too much like either of these? I want to stay in the yellow/orange side. (Note: between the three bigger trees, I have small Heidis and Celadine in pots).

Bill - I hope you don't mind my quoting your great list!:

"For oranges you might look for: apricot cream, barbados apricot, bonfire, bundall peach, bunnings apricot, coonan peach, doric alison, evening sunset, georgetown apricot, georgetown orange, giant aussie orange, heirloom, illaingarkal apricot, india, ivy may, Juliette, Kauai ext 1, kauai orange, malia keneke, manson blush, morning after, orange buttercup, orange buttercup, peachy king, sangria, sea shell orange, tangerine dream, tangerine orange, Univ. of Hawaii Orange, Wandjina sunrise, west Oz apricot. Others that have orange with a mix of colors: Allison, antique pink, apricot locks, apricot rose, botgar orange, effa jade, fruit salad, gay peach, iris rock sunset, Janet's ginger, JL red-orange, kimo, kitty, lurline, mango magic, mango rainbow, MKD-A11, MKD-87, orb, polynesian rainbow, pumpkin pie, tangerine, waioli angel. These all have shown up as oranges in photographs but a few I question as poly rainbow does not appear orange to me. Hope this gives you some names to look for. I would say Jim Little and his daughter in law Sandy (sandyhawaii) have a number of orange flowers for sale (gladys brandt, Cindy schmidt, fruit salad, etc.). As for Kapalua, I do not know this one. Bill"

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Paul Weissich, Kimo or Cindy Schmidt, depending on how big you want the tree. PW runs yellow to orange, while the other two are pink to yellow to orange.

Keep in mind, George, that they may also bloom at different times so the bloom contrast/continuity you want may be absent. CA Sunset is a long season bloomer, IIRC, and I'm not sure about BHG's season. I imagine you'd want an orange that was also a long season bloomer.

• John Perilloux
    11 years ago

SimiDude, check this at Exotic Plumeria:

Jumbo cutting with at least 5 or 6 growth tips

$199.95

Here is a link that might be useful: Kapalua

• georgecc
    11 years ago

jperilloux, Thanks for the info. Still over my budget, and it's cutting. It is a beauty, though. I can't find anything as orange.

Jandey, CA Sunset and Bali Hai Gold are still blooming quite a bit. I have a small Lutica (thanks to you!) and a Paul Weissich and cuttings of Nebel's Gold, University of Hawaii Orange and Kaleinani (which I just heard is University of Hawaii Orange! What is John-John at Upland Nursery then?), and a Kimo cutting. Kimo may be the way to go, although it has a lot of pink around here. Maybe Paul Weissich will bloom an orangy yellow here, that would work! I also have a big Samirie cutting - maybe that's it. Lots of options, I just have to wait for them to root and bloom! Tune in in a year or two.

Which brings up a question I've been meaning to ask - how long does it usually take a cutting to leaf and then bloom? What's average?

• toomanydogs
    11 years ago

The Upland website lists University of Hawaii Orange as the alternate name for John-John. They think they are the same plant. Who knows? Perhaps when my husband gets his eBay mass spectrometer working he can go into the business of plumeria identification!

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

Hello Simi,
    I here ya on the whole I.D. issue. I was VERY confused when it came to 'Confetti', 'Barbados Show girl'. From 2 or 3 different forums I was getting various opinions. Some were saying that they were different varieties and some were saying that they were the same. I am by far an expert in regards to growing plumeria, especially when it comes to plumeria I.D.

Have you thought of J.J. Orange? I LOVE this orange plumeria! I know it isn't 100% orange but it does have several shades of orange and pink in it, but from the pictures I have seen, it has to be one of my top favorite orange varieties.

I bought a 1 gal. 'JJ Orange' 2 summers ago. The same summer, I bought a cutting and rooted it in a few weeks time over a raw egg. I did the same with another cutting this summer. I have yet to see mine bloom yet but I am hoping that at least one of the two that I am going to over winter under lights, will bloom for me.

Wishing you the best on making a really tough decision. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Andrew

• georgecc
    11 years ago

Andrew,

It's awfully confusing. I have been considering JJ Orange, too, looks like a beauty.
    Have you had any luck attaining a Rainbow 36?

Allison, best I can guess from the web, Kaleinani, University of Hawaii Orange and John John are the same plant. Which means I have extra cuttings.

• DelWH
    11 years ago

Perhaps someone needs to start a DNA database of plumies. lol That would stop all the confusion. Maybe.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

George, I believe Kaleinani and U of H Orange are different. I do think U of H and John John are the same. I could be wrong--we need Bill or James for this question, really.

In San Antonio's heat, my mom's Paul Weissich bloomed a golden orange with pink veins, very beautiful. I think it's probably one of the truer oranges out there, but may vary in your humidity. You'll have to wait to find out, I guess. In my patch stuff takes at least three seasons to bloom after rooting.

Andrew, did you get three JJ Oranges on purpose? I'm going to have to grill them about it when I call in the spring.

What is up with those Exotic prices? Do they not do research on what their competition charges? $50 for a Penang Peach cutting?! Kapalua is an amazing orange, but I would only buy rooted, and even then the prices would have to drop 30%. How many of those cuttings can they be selling at those prices? Maybe that's why they have such a big stock now. Hm.

• georgecc
    11 years ago

Purdee, you make me want to move to Florida!!! I'd be there in a minute!

• jandey1
    11 years ago

George, I'll be right behind you! There's enough for us each to have one, LOL! Ooh, if only we could talk Purdee into crate-shipping...:P

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hey.. I'm in!!! :-)

Laura

Pick me up on the way...

• georgecc
    11 years ago

Well, then, there's only one thing I can say: ROAD TRIP! Okay two things - thank God I still hadn't washed the car, cause we're packing some more plumies!! I'll get on the road from Southern CA tonight, Jandey - I should be there sometime Saturday in Texas, then we'll stop off and pick up Laura in Virginia, let's say Monday. Then down to pick up the Kapaluas from Purdee in Florida on Tuesday (we'd make sure he still has them first)!

Actually, it does sound like a really fun plan, and I'm sure we'd have a blast - and even with the high cost of gas, it would probably still be cheaper than the cuttings at Exotic Plumeria!

Purdee, if I could get off from work and drive a week, I would probably do it for the Kapalua (let alone your other amazing ones), and obviously, I wouldn't be alone! Well, if you ever do decide to sell any cuttings, let me know and I'll send a paid shipping box!

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

Might as well come through Tulsa and get me on your way to get Laura, LOL On our way home from Tampa this summer I did the whole drive back from there to my door non-stop, I wont be doing that again.

mike

• Phuong Vong
    last year

Hi purdee54, do you by any chance have kapalua available for purchase?

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!