Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
animalcraker

SCPS Cuting sale

animalcraker
12 years ago

Lots of great stuff at the SCPS cutting sale today. Here's what I got Aztec Gold, Daisy Wilcox, Edi Moragne, Hawaiian Sunset, Kaleinani Orange, Ken Ames, Penang Peach, Saigon Moon, Thorntons Lemon Drop, Vera Cruz Rose, and Wildfire. Almost all of them have multips tips. Still didn't get everything on my list, they sold out of Magnum Opus and I forgot to grab a hilo beauty but that's ok I'm happy with the ones I got. Now if only I could find Golden Pagoda localy.

Did any one else go to the sale this weekend? And if so what did you buy?

Comments (16)

• pcput
    12 years ago

Oh I'm so green with envy now !!! What a GREAT list. Good for you on your catch. That is such a fantastic sale. May they all root and bloom profusely for you. Thanks for sharing your find and we are looking forward to pics in the future. Peg

• ProudMamaSD
    12 years ago

I'm so glad you posted, I kept wondering myself.

Even with my list and trying to stay on point, it was overwhelming, there were so many! I certainly intended to spend more time shopping but that ended up being impossible with my little one. SO, I ended up with Penang Peach, Confetti, Guillots Sunset, Hausten White, Vera Cruz Rose & Siam Ruby. All were multi tipped aside from the Hausten White (which was basically a freebie) and the Confetti. Beautiful cuttings, so fresh and thick; I don't think I'll order cuttings again.

How do you intend to root? Spoke with a very nice couple that is all for bag rooting. Personally I am 100% befuddled on which way to go. Some people say zero water so the roots grow to seek water, others say imitate the natural environment, humid & warm. Logically, it makes the most sense to mimic a hot and humid environment, but everyone is so wary of rot. Anyway, that's my tangent. Thought I would see which direction you are heading. To tide me over, I bagged the Hausten white, which I got for $1, so I won't be too devestated if I rot the thing. I don't have a greenhouse so I have to stick to grow lights and heat mats. Little humidity unless I bag them.

Sigh, I just want to root them!

Wendy

• ProudMamaSD
    12 years ago

Btw, you are a brave soul! The WF wasn't cheap, and I hear very difficult to root. So you must have a proven technique, I hope you share.

• pcput
    12 years ago

Hi Wendy, Another GREAT list of cuttings. Glad to see your recovering from your trying experience of rooting. Hang in there. You'll do it. I've only been rooting for a year so don't fell qualified to advise you. I've had losses and great successes. There are all different ways to root so you just have to find what works for you and your climate. Good luck with your new babies. Peg

• animalcraker
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I bag root all of my cuttings. Right now they're all soaking over night in some water with a bit of super thrive and tomorrow I'll bag root them. For some reason I've neever really had much of a problem getting the difficult guys to root. The bag rooting is also adventagous becsuse I can see everything that's going on inside the bag without having to mess with the cuttings. With bag rooting you want the medium to be just damp enough to create humidity isnide the bag. The SCPS website has some great tutorial videos on bag rooting.

Heat is probably the most important requirement for rooting. Mike Atkinson and couple others very sucessfuly bag root in complete darkness with a heat mat or some other form of heat. I have yet to splurge on a heat mat, so I'm just using a cheap small space heater to keep my tiny greenhouse warm. If you don't have any sort of greenhouse you could use the space heater inside a closet or a bathroom.

~Jen

• ProudMamaSD
    12 years ago

Peg, there's a great many things I'm not, but determined I am. I will get one of these suckers to root for me, I just gotta!!

Jen, thanks for the great answer. I'm going bag method. One thing I don't understand. Why do people take the time to callus the cuttings to only then soak them? Just like to understand the logic behind my actions.

Thanks and here's to a Happy Easter and productive day.

Wendy

• slave2thefur
    12 years ago

Anna, Cobra, Cherian, Cindy Morange, Dieudonne, Hawaiian Sunset, KK Moragne, Katie Moragne, Ku'ulei, Moragne Rainbow, Palomar, Siam Ruby, Tropical Twist, Tropical Storm. The best part of the sale? ... meeting everyone!

• ProudMamaSD
    12 years ago

Wow Slave2thefur, that's quite an assortment!!! Well done, you've got your work cut out for you. What method are you using to root?

I would have to agree, everyone was so wonderful, that reminds me I need to register with the SCPS; are you a member?

Wendy

• elucas101
    12 years ago

Oh y'all, those sound fabulous!!! What kinds of prices are they asking for these beauties?

• ProudMamaSD
    12 years ago

Overall, I would say that an average cost was probably $20, though some were quite a bit more and others a little lower. Nothing I looked at was cheaper than $15, but I did try to stick to my list. (which wasn't easy!) The cuttings were huge, very well worth the price!

I'd love it if they did a few of these during the season, that way the sticker shock wouldn't be so bad. That is, if I would actually spend less per visit... hmm, doubtful.

• animalcraker
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was one of the first people in the building and the prices were ~$10-15 for your basic cutting sizes, ~$20 for larger cuttings, and ~$25-30 for "rare" varieties. I was a bit of a feeding frenzy for the first 1/2 hour or so and all the cheap guys got snatched up quickly wether people were looking for that cultivar or not, lol.

~Jen

• radiantjade
    12 years ago

When I was making my selections, I mostly picked out the cheaper smaller cuttings. I know I got a good deal, but now I regret not getting the larger ones with 3 tips.
    I got: Thornton's Lemon Drop $10, California Sally (3 tips) $18, Charlotte Ebert $7, Dean Conklin $5, Red (no name) $8, Puu Kahea $8, Teresa Wilder $7, and Gardenia $8.
    I grabbed Gardenia on an impulse hoping and thinking it was Psycho White, now I'm not so sure it is.
    Jen- you can use one of my heat mats if you want.
    ---JJ.

• dpolson37
    12 years ago

I think buying plumerias is like surfing the web. No matter how many websites you visit, there is always another one to explore. Sounds like some of you in CA are on your way to growing every possible cultivator of plumeria out there. If only we could bonsai them. You all must have some large yards to grow so many. Can't wait to see some blooms.

Just curious, are there Thai plumeria societies? Wouldn't that be a fun buying frenzy if all the Thai varieties were sold in once gathering?

Dave

• jandey1
    12 years ago

My pocketbook is thrilled I don't live in SoCal.

• No-Clue
    12 years ago

Oh bummer I just missed this show! :(

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

So is my hubby!!!

LMAO

Laura