Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
proudmamasd

Unexplained Growth-Cutting

ProudMamaSD
11 years ago

I need a little direction. I was at a nursery a month or so ago and found a stray plumeria branch which they kindly gave me. It is bright green, at least a foot long: they didn't have the trees supported whatsoever and many were laying down. I think this branch just broke off.

As an experiment I elected not to cut the base, and instead soaked it, coated in rootone and potted up. To begin with the cutting was spongy, but the very base strong. It had 1 5in leaf and several inchers. So to the question: This cutting is putting out leaves non stop. The original leaf is just as virile as ever and the new ones are already surpassing 1inch. My son pulled it out of the pot last week, I was frantic and just immediately put it back in the dirt. I didn't think it had roots, but reflecting on the moment perhaps it did; I panicked. The cutting is very wrinkled.

If this were a normal cutting I would water it, but taking into account it had leaves to begin with, which never seemed to show stress from the 'break' I just don't know what to do.... does anyone have direction? I don't have a snapshot handy, but looking at it you would think this is a rooted cutting which needs water. The catch is it appeared that way from the getgo and just never seemed to stop growing after the break.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor