Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stevenwayne_gw

my butterfly gold has sealed over

stevenwayne
11 years ago

I've only had it a year it grew like crazy no flowers weren't expecting them to be honest. But its sealed over. Should I cut it. Or wait and see what happens

Comments (5)

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Certain Plumies like to seal over like Daisy Wilcox, Jackie, Guillots Sunset, etc. Just leave it and it will BFG is a descent brancher so you will end up with more tips. I know some people co complained that their BFG took years to flower so be patient.
    Cheers

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Steven, give it some time to produce branches.

My one-year-old grafted J105 did the same thing this spring. It kept looking like it was thinking of pushing an inflo and instead sat looking bald for quite a long time:

Then after several weeks it started about seven or eight nodes that eventually turned into five new branches:

I was advised to watch them and keep the plant well-fertilized through the summer to support the new growth. I popped one tiny branch off since it had no room against its bigger counterparts, so hopefully next year one of the four new branches will decide to bloom!

• irun5k
    11 years ago

Interesting, I had never heard of sealing over and secondly had never seen a plant do what that J105 did.

I am wondering if something similar happened to my inca gold. It just now put out one tiny leaf. However it isn't rotten or otherwise messed up. It is a one year old plant, I wasn't sure if it was re-rooting for some reason (maybe I messed it up when repotting this spring?) But maybe it was just "sealed over"?

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

Thanks, stevenwayne, for starting this thread. I have this happening on about a half dozen or so of my trees: My Valentine, Plastic Pink, Elsie, Madame Pele, Donna S, Jeff Gold, Wave Rage...I'm probably forgetting one or two.

They all appear to be snapping out of it now (with the exception of PP)--it's hard to tell at this point whether the nodes that are swelling are gonna be claws or branches... What the heck causes it? I thought it might be spider mites or some bug that I couldn't see that was eating the brand new claws.

• pcput
    11 years ago

I had an order come in and the newspaper was stuck to the tip of one plants. I'm guessing it got banged during transit and leaked latex. It is just starting to grow new tips. You can see the green swelling on one side. Peg

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County