Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tdogdad

Broke the lazy ice

tdogdad
10 years ago

I have been putting off planting my cuttings for some time. Had my bags of cut-off bottles, two trashcans of soil mix, a trashcan of rain water, rooting compound and boxes of cuttings sitting on the porch for weeks. Finally got 30 planted today and another thirty soaking in water for tomorrow. Laura, I have about 15 elk antlers that make the one you took look like a baby's that I am trying to figure how to prop them up during rooting. Instant bush. I was good and labeled most but still have about a dozen that I forgot to mark and have no idea what they are. Ah, another year. Lots of inflos peeking out everywhere so I hope this summer is a bloom fest. Just have to worry about the June gloom coming. Bill

Comments (17)

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

Well sounds like you were productive! There's no time like the present!

• Andrew Scott
    10 years ago

Hey Bill,
    I'm sure glad to here from you. You must be doing much better. I certainly know what your going thru. I had to lug a few plumeria back in tonight. Lol about the antler ears! I can only imagine how big they must really be. I have a very nice Psycho that is sporting one huge inflo right now. It has been in blom since around the time of my last back surgery.

I'm kind of wishing I had someone who could help me pot up cuttings right now. I don't think I have ever been this behind with potting up cuttings. I have 7 or 8 that are bagged and have rooted, plus a bunch that have calloused and need to be potted.

We can only do what we can right Bill! Are you able to get out and surf yet?

Andrew

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Good to hear from you too Bill!! Gosh you were
    Mighty busy potting those cuttings! Hope this summer
    Is a bloomfest too ;).
    Take care

Chuy

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Sounds like you got your hands full. Good to hear from you!
    Good to see you too Andrew.

Hope both of you are doing well!

Mike

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Hey, Bill! Nice to hear from you! I always think about you as I walk through the garden this time of year, hunting for inflos. Your Psycho looks great and was the first to really leaf out even though it's so young.

Hope you're behind on potting up because you've been so busy in the surf. :)

• Andrew Scott
    10 years ago

Hi Mike,
    Yes I am feeling more like myself, even though I still struggle with my right leg being so numb still. I am hoping to start P/T soon and hopefully that will help with regaining the nerve sensations in my leg.

Thankfully I have had help with moving my heavy tropicals and my plumeria. We have been experiencing a nasty cold front that has had me moving the dozen or so tropicals I had outside.

Hi Jen,
    Psycho certainly is a trooper isn't it! Mine leafed out really early this year. I was so happy to see and smell those first flowers when I was recovering from my surgery. I still say the best plumeria I own are the plumeria I have received as gifts.

Andrew

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the comments. Jen, unfortunately I have been delayed like Andrew with health issues but got back in the water on friday and it was great. Haven't surfed but got some smalll waves on my stamd up board.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Now I have to stop thinking of the ocean and get out there and plant another 50. Oh by the way, Happy Mother's day to all you mothers (I was one too, raising my daughter by myself).

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• elucas101
    10 years ago

Your yard looks fabulous! All those cuttings, wow you have been busy! Your potted trees have great form and look so nice in their pots.

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

80 finished and only the dozen elk antlers left. Little straight ones are so easy- did 15 in 15 minute break in the hockey game. My back is not too happy. I will lay out the big ones tomorrow and try to figure how I can keep them upright- maybe 15 gal pots with several bottle inside. Time will tell but I am glad I persisted and got the main job done. Bill

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Forgot to mention that we think of you whenever we put our little guy in his Surfer Dude shirt, lol! Great to see you back out where you belong.

Andrew, I hope your recovery is at least steady, if not rapid. Does your back at least feel a bit better?

It's frustrating not being 100% with all this work to do outside! I still have some cuttings inside trying to root but that's only because I don't want the squirrels digging them up.

We are very lucky to have Psycho, aren't we? One of my prized possessions, for sure!

• Minderella
    10 years ago

Bill,

When you plant your antlers, can you post a picture? I have a couple of big cuttings that are curved and want to see how a pro plants them.

Thank You, Mindy

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Bill!!!

Love the look of your side yard.. Just beautiful!!!

The thought of the "Cutting Assembly Line.." makes me smile.. Everything is ready to go, except the "man himself.." He finally decides it's time, so the Costa Mesa man puts down the board and paddle and decides to start the "process..." Then he stumbles on the "unmarked" ones.. Huh? (i did the same thing..LOL)

Antlers? Bigger then mine? LOL.. "Holy Elk.." ;-)

They must be some big boys, cuz the ones i tried to take home were HUGE!!!! B even walked 10 paces behind me because he was so embarrassed.. LMAO!!! Then, i had to cut them down in the airport.. That will tell most how large they really were!!!

Good luck with those "bad boys.." Please post some pics so we can see and others can understand what i had to go through.. well, what DH had to go through!! ;-0 HA!!!!
    I would gladly do it again tomorrow!!!

Great pics.. Was that down at the pier? Looks so refreshing.. Love the Pacific!!!

Have a wonderful night!!!

Laura

• rox146
    10 years ago

tdogdad...where are you in zone 9? If you are close to Ventura...come to our Luau in August....you can launch your SUP from our dock...roxanne

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Roxanne I am in Costa Mesa. Thanks for the invite.
    Laura- You will enjoy seeing these bad boys.
    Mindy- I am not a pro, just someone that made every mistake possible over a few decades and learned from some real pros.
    Jen- I think the little guy is ready to start surfing- time for a trip this summer.
    Chuy- your pods are ripening on the plants. Soon.

• rox146
    10 years ago

tdogdad...it is August 24th...Kalua Pork sliders on Hawaiian Rolls and pineapple coleslaw and a lot of plumie nutballs. Last year Matthew from Island Plumeria came and so did my 84 year old couple that got me into plumeria with his collection of 50 in the ground at Faria.

A couple of people come that have over 400....I am only up to 150 and trying to thin the heard of my early on common ones. Details later if you are interested....roxanne (my husband surfs longboards)

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Wow Bill what a beautiful sight! You actually make it look fun! Next time let me know and I will send the kids to help. Then again the little one will just want to play with the dogs!

• pcput
    10 years ago

Good to see you up and enjoying life, Bill. Hope you are not trying to do too much! Take care, Peg

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH