Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plumeria and/or orchid nurseries on big island

Posted by tropicaltex 9b (My Page) on
Fri, May 22, 09 at 1:27

Hi!
Does anyone out there know of a really good nursery on Hawaii that specializes in Frangipani and sells retail? Other helpful suggestions would include: a grower from whom to learn something, botanical garden with Plumerias for ideas/examples, any other ideas. I also love orchids, so if there is a great nursery for those I can always drop by.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plumeria and/or orchid nurseries on big island

Hi There,
I don't know about nurseries.. Maui Gardens in Maui sells retail plants. Perhaps others on here can help.

Karen b

o

• Posted by nativec z8b Beaumont,CA (My Page) on
    Fri, May 22, 09 at 17:56

tropicaltex...where do you live? I'd love to share sellers that I have had good luck with but I'm unsure if you are adverse to ordering online or if you are looking to find places specifically located in Hawaii. Let me know I'd be happy to share.

-Nicole

o

Orchids from Hawaii try

1. Carmela Orchids in Hakalau Hawaii (also on ebay)
2. S&W Orchids Inc. in Waianae, Hawaii.

I have bought from both at Orchid Shows here in California.

o

Thanks for the replies!
native - I live in Galveston, Tx. I had two plumerias, but they were taken out by the hurricane : ( . They were just cuttings from neighbors trees that I stuck in the ground and watched grow, so I know they do well here. Now, everyone's plumerias are dead locally.

o

tropicaltex= I'm with Karen on this one. Click on MPG below to check out.
Jennifer has a good stock of rooted plants which saves you a year. Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: MPG

o
tree planting on the beach

We have been visiting the big island for decades and as a "give back" we would like to work with a nursery or garden group to plant trees on some of our favorite beaches - Kona to Kohala. Palm trees come to mind since they are iconic, but any sort of shade tree that is easy to grow and non invasive would be fine. We assume we would have to work with state parks or the county to get permits of some sort, and I have emailed state parks without response. Any ideas or sources of plant material we can purchase for this would be very welcome, as would advice on a way to get permits! We will be on the island several weeks next January and would like to get this project ready to implement so we can plant and water while we are there. if you think this is un doable please say so so I don't waste any more time on it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here