Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hawaiianbuilt

Plumeria Terrace Project Update PIX !!!

hawaiianbuilt
15 years ago

HEY GARDENWEB FOLKS !!!

It's been about a year since I built a Plumeria Terrace for my Plumies, and wanted to share some updated pix !!!

I built the Terrace in an effort to not only facilitate a better heat distribution on the black pots from the sun, but to also help me utilize the space as much as possible.

I don't know if this was a good idea afterall, because it has made my collection grow !!! Good idea?? Oooh Yeah !!!

And so here are my pix ...

In June of 2007 I started with a small 1 gallon collection that sat on the patio cement ...

And so I built the Terrace to help these bad boys out ...

And VOILA !!! I thought I was set back then !!!

Then came Spring of 2008 ...

In the pictures below, you'll see the many Plumeria in the rooting tubes (on the floor)waiting to get their new home ...

Then over the weekend (05-10-08) Their prayers were answered !!! Next weekend project: Going to lay down a nice coat of Urethane on the redwood !!!

Can't wait 'til 2009 !!!

To Bill aka Tdogdad: I'm getting there buddy !!! I'm running out of space can you tell ??!!

Rodney

Comments (13)

• kbauman
    15 years ago

Hi Rodney,
    Fantastic collection, they have changed from last year, yay for you... My question is..You have your plants in containers so close to the street. I would be concerned on people stealing them! You have them showing to the street, you hear so many stories of people taking expensive plumeria. Thats why mine are in the back yard..Have you thought of that? I too live in a nice area but that is a thought.

love your collection, seems you have a lot of new 1 gallon plants. what are some of your plants? Do you buy off the internet? Also where I live in the San Fernando Valley was cold over the winter, high winds, rain. Do you cover them? Sorry so many questions, curious.
    Karen B

• lil_cali_gal
    15 years ago

Hey Rodney !! Nice weekend project you built !! For some reason I'm seeing yet another rack to hold all those cuttings in rooting tubes !!

Those are some nice fat beefy cuttings in the tubes, where did you get those ?? Rarely see cuttings that size.

Cali~

• ruthann1
    15 years ago

What a great job!! I am oh so jealous. I've tried to get Tdogdad to give me his address so I xould go midnight shopping, he hasn't. Can I have your address (with directions) and I'll bring a bobtail around midnight and be as quiet as possible. And Karen B, shhhh. HawaiianBuilt, You did a beautiful job on my, I mean your new terraces. 8) ruthann

• kbauman
    15 years ago

Hi Ruthann
    Shhhh.. will come over and help (yesterday)..tee hee.
    Karen B

• tdogdad
    15 years ago

Oh Rodney- running out of space? I see some lawn out there. Also your right side plants are really tall- did you get them from America's Top Model? Some of those are over 20 inch stems. As far as space goes, a mature plant only needs space the size of a VW bug so just calculate where you would fit 80 VWs on your property. LOL
    Ruthann- I know you are kidding but many of us have suffered great losses from selfish plumie stealers and we place them right below kidnappers and dognappers. You can imagine the feeling of rooting, nursing, nurturing and finally seeing an empty space where your special little five year old once sat. People are always shocked that we can walk through our gardens and name each and every plant- but I am sure all of you could name each and every plant you have because each has a history and hopefully a future for you. Also, Rodney, like so many of my Hawaiian friends, would give you the shirt off his back. Anyone stealing from him would get the curse of Pele. Again, Ruthann, I know you are not a thief and are just kidding, but unfortunately the general population is not so nice and to many of us this is a serious problem. Bill

• ruthann1
    15 years ago

Under no circumstance would I steal someones' plummies. I AM only joking!!! I thought Karen was kidding when she asked about someone stealing Rodney's... I have a 16 gauge you need any help protecting those plummies. I would be devastated someone steal my plummies. ruthann

• hawaiianbuilt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mahalo Nui for the kind words folks !!!

I am lucky that I've not had any folks come around and steal any of the Plumies here ... My neighbors are real cool and they know how hard I work out there both in the yard and in the garage (Auto's are my other passion.)

As Bill said well regarding Pele, it's very true :)

I am very fortunate to have met some great folks in the Plumeria World and to have been given some from their own collections, those mean the most to me !!!

Bill: The tall Plumies you saw on the right ... the lower terrace those are all 2-3 year old seedling plants that I have ... can't wait to see what their blooms will look like someday !!!

Thanks again folks, the front part of the home gets the most sun compared to the back part, I do hope that I can always keep them up front without worrying too much.

From the front of the house you can almost hardly tell what's in the patio ...

Rodney

• littlem_2007
    15 years ago

hello, Rodney, you have done a great job with the terraces. they look so well made. i can't believe my eyes when i saw how your plumies multiplied!! hope you will post pictures when they all bloom .. what a beautiful sight that would be!! does the weather in your area allow you to leave them outside without protection year-round?
    sue

• hunter_hope926512_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I JUST THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE HOW DEVASTATED I AM DUE TO THE FACT THAT SOMEONE STOLE MY BABIES. I HAD 16 PLUMERIA'S ON THE SIDE OF MY HOUSE, WHICH IS ALSO IN FRONT OF MY TENANTS APT., IT ALL STARTED ONE MORNING I CAME HOME AROUND 6AM, ( LAST WEEK) I NOTICED 3 OF MY PLUMERIA WERE MISSING, I THOUGHT MY GARDENER HAD MOVED THEM TEMPERARLY, SO I WENT ON ABOUT MY DAY, THEN, 2 DAYS LATER, MORE WERE MISSING, OH NO... I THOUGHT TO MYSELF. MAYBE, THEY ARE IN THE BACK YARD, NOPE.. I ASKED NEIGHBORS, AND SO-CALLED FRIENDS, IF THEY KNEW ANYTHING ABOUT IT.. NOT A THING..
    THEN,THE VERY NEXT DAY 2 WERE GONE., THEN LAST FRIDAY NITE, I HAVE COME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT I HAVE BEEN VIOLATED AGAIN. RAPED, SLAPPED, BRUISED, SCORNED, AND LEFT TO DIE..... BUT WHAT ABOUT MY PLUMES??? ARE THEY FRIGHTENED? HURT? SCARED? ETC.. CONFUSED IS NOT THE WORD..
    I HAVE THE BIGGEST HOLE IN MY HEART! NO ONE WOULD EVER KNOW MY PAIN.. IT'S LIKE WHEN MY HUSBAND WAS KILLED IN A CAR ACCIDENT AT 33YRS OLD. AND I WAS LEFT A WIDOW AT AGE OF 29YRS OLD...EMPTY.
    MY HEART, MIND, BODY AND SOUL WENT INTO NURTURING, LOVING, TALKING, SPOILING, ETC. THEM.. I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW BIG MY HOLE IS IN MY HEART. IT ACHES CONSTANTLY........
    I REPORTED THE KIDNAPPING TO LOCAL POLICE DEPT.. WE WILL SEE....... GOD DOES NOT SLEEP...NEITHER DO I!!! ;(

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    12 years ago

Outstanding work and beautiful plants. I can't think of a better way to improve a courtyard. When they start to bloom please post that picture too.

A very minor suggestion from my experience is to place some rubber or silicone feet under each leg of your very sturdy steps. While its sealed; sooner or later water will start wicking up the wood grain. That extra half inch or so will help air circulate and keep the wood out of standing water.

• sunseeker53
    12 years ago

Your terrace is so nice and organized! The pictures were from 2008, I can't imagine what it looks like now? Let me guess: 300+ plants? and your plants would be so much bigger by now? What did you do to accomodate them?
    I have less than 1 year of plumeria addiction under my belt, and am already overrun by plumerias, large and small (but I'm not complaining. The more the merrier!) I'm actually entertaining the idea of moving to a house with more land :-)

• labland
    12 years ago

Great idea about the terrace. Nicely done, i think we all worry about theft. Unfortunately my back yard has the best sun for my plants. I am thinking of moving one to the front yard. Big pot, too heavy to easily move, will see.

Pele is one strong God!!

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Patricia, I'm so sorry to hear about your plant theft. Can you install a camera to catch the thief? If you have any still out worth stealing they will clearly come back again for them. Good luck in finding out who's robbed you.

I'd love to see photos of how Rodney's terrace is looking now! I'm having to put some plumies out front because there's just not enough sunny space in the back anymore.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals