Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kt2fl

plumeria trees in Vietnam

Kenny
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

Two weeks ago, I came back to Vietnam for a family emergency. I used to grow up here as a kid and I remembered there were plumeria trees everywhere. Since I started collecting plumerias in Oklahoma last year, I've come to understand the different cultivars (i.e obtusa, rubra, adenium).

In Asia, plumerias are commonly found in temples and graveyards. But in Vietnam, people also use them in their gardens and businesses for landscaping. The obtusa plumeria trees are used most for that purpose. I've included some pictures of plumeria trees here.

Here are some obtusa trees near the church I used to go to as a kid

Here is a pink and a red one I found in the courtyard of a local training center for educators

Here is a huge pink rubra we found on our way to pick up my cousin's son from school. I asked her to pull over so I

could take some pictures (her bike is in the shot).

As I was taking pictures, the owner of the cafe came out and asked what was going on. My cousin said I like plumeria trees, he then offered some branches off his tree. He had no idea I would have to carry them all the way to the states.

Here are a couple of obtusas being used as a focal point for White Palace, an upscale hotel.

The fragrant came from these trees was intoxicating. My cousin said I should come here at night time when the scent is even more noticeable.

Here are a few more pink trees in front of a cafe in downtown Saigon

I haven't had the chance to look at local nurseries here for possible Thailand plumeria imports. I was told no one buys plumeria here as adeniums are more coveted. People hold an annual adenium exhibit/contest for the best in show. Mean while, one can easily obtain plumeria cuttings easily and free of charge since people are so willing to give you the branches off their trees here. In any case, I'm still a hardcore plumeria addict! I will keep on searching around for more rare plumerias to add to my collection.

Comments (9)

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Wow! Fabulous series of photos! Thanks for posting those. Most of us will never get to see so many full-size trees like that. The red is to die for!

You still planning to go to the PSA sale in June? LMK if you want to meet up, after you're done shopping of course.

Jen

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for posting those pictures, they were really fun to see!

• Kenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Jen

So far I still am planning to go to the PSA sale. Do you know when they will reveal the official list of plumerias available? Can't wait!

Hi elucas!

Thank you! Just wanted to share some amazing pics of these big trees that we rarely get to see outside of Hawaii ;)

• labland
    11 years ago

Nice photo sk2fl!

My favorite plumerias are still the obtusa. Unfortunately they don't do well in cold temps! You might be able to get one to grow inside if you have a good sunny spot in your house to move it in the winter. Of course, you would need to stick with the Dwarf Singapore Pink, which is nice,but does not have the wonderful scent of the Singapore White, but takes much less room!

I wish I had known plumerias grew in Calfornia, 'cause I would have started my collection 40 years ago when my family moved to Hawaii! Of course, that would mean I would have even more plants than my already approaching 50 ! Granted about 15 or so are newly rooted cuttings from last year!

Dwarf Singapore Pink. (aka DSP). Too bad it doesn't smell like the largwr White!

Jennifer

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

k2fl:

Your photos were a treat to view. Thanks for sharing them! And I agree, Jen- that red is stunning.

Greg

• kimmiesplummies
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing the photos. My parents were from Vietnam Too. My mom had visit me recently and saw my Plumeria collection. She said that they have Plumeria evey where in Vietnam. This is nice of you to share pictures of the Plumeria trees. I showed my mom these pictures she had tears to her eyes how much she miss her home land. Hopeful i have a chance to visit one day.
    Thanks again for sharing.

• dpolson37
    11 years ago

Amazing photos. It's so fun to see the trees in their natural environment. Thanks for sharing them.

Did anyone else notice how spread out the blooms were on the pink. It looks like the inflo has foot long branches with one bloom at the tip. Thought that was really different.

Dave

• peeweelovesorchids
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! Plumeria is the national flower of Nicaragua and they similarly dot the landscape. It's called "sacuanjoche."

• pcput
    11 years ago

It's so interesting to see other cultures enjoying the same plants that have such a hold on us. The trees are gorgeous !!! Thanks k2fl for taking the time to take pics to share with us. Peg