Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plumeriapusher

Anyone Recognize this plumie?

Kimo
9 years ago

I've been bad about re-potting and checking labels on my plumies. I have several grafted Thai Plumies I got back in 2005 from a seller that lived between India and Florida. Well unfortunate for these plumies they have been neglected, been in the same 5 gal pots since 2007, and labels are missing. I was pretty sure this was my Kased Silp, but I am not sure as the coloring is totally off. Based on my patches current low temps, the warm winter and hot spring, I think the plumie might be confused. Does this look like Kased Silp, if not does anyone recognize it?
Here is a pic of what Kased Silp looks like to compare:

Here are 2 pics of my "Kased Silp" on different days, also ones an afternoon pic the others night. I am thinking I might have mixed my pots up:

Thanks

This post was edited by freak4plumeria on Sat, May 31, 14 at 13:29

Comments (17)

• rox146
    9 years ago

wow! Lovely, sorry I cannot help. roxanne

• barb13_gw
    9 years ago

I can not help but they are very beautiful. Lucky you. :)
    Barb

• isobea
    9 years ago

Hi James, Unfortunately I don't know the name either, but when I visited Upland nursery in Orange in August of 2011 I took a bunch of pictures. One of them seems similar to your flower . I'll post it - see what you think. (I had written down the names corresponding with my photos, but lost them since then).
    No matter, it certainly is beautiful.
    Good luck, Iso

• Kimo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Isobea,
    Do you happen to remember if the flower was large, small, or average in size?

Thanks again.

• isobea
    9 years ago

Sorry James, I don't remember the exact size, but it definitely was not small. Wish I knew. I'd love to buy that plant now... If you had people from Upland taking a look at the photo, do you think they would be able to help you?
    Iso

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Great idea iso!!!!

James , its a Beauty.. Maybe they could help?

What ever it is, it's stunning... As are all of yours..

Laura

• Kimo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys. I guess I am going to make the LONG drive to Upland Nursery, been a long while since I've seen Ed and Malee, plus maybe get to meet up with Bill in the next week or 2.
    Actually my flower is about 3", so may not be the same exact one. The problem of not replacing damaged tags...

Thanks again

• texasplum
    9 years ago

whatever it is its a beauty! Good luck on figuring out what it is!

• Kimo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for the feed back.
    The thing about this plumie is the smell. I am not a scent person, like plumies for their vibrant colors and shapes, but this one has an incredible floral/frangipani scent unlike any of the other plumies I have. The scent has so many notes to it that you smell a lot of familiar scents/notes, but its more like a mash up of the best of classic Frangi scents.
    Again thanks for all the feedback.

Cheers

This post was edited by freak4plumeria on Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 16:51

• Kimo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok I was talking with a good plumie friend today who is very seasoned when it comes to growing them in So Cal and was reminded how much difference heat, light and even the month can make.
    Well had to go meet a welder @ my patch today for an estimate and my gardener so he can start trimming my plumies (keeping out the poachers..lol.), while there I noticed that the blooms on my "kaset silp" looked totally different. I remember how my Budaraksa changes, sometimes not even resembling its true form.
    Anyway here are some pics of the "Kaset Silp" taken today. The shapes not there but could be due to weather but looking color correct now:

Thai Sellers Kaset Silp pic to compare:

JJ's Christina next to "Kaset Silp" older bloom. Even Christina does not look like she should:

To show how different the same plumie can look here are pics of my Budaraksa @ different times:

Without typical coloration and shape:

Shape starting and coloring:

Finally with the correct heat and light in my patch:

So hopefully my "Kaset Silp" blooms are an anomaly because of the temp, lighting and time of year... Fingers crossed.

Cheers

• georgecc
    9 years ago

James, that last shot is mind-bogglingly beautiful. I'l keep my fingers crossed.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

James,

I think you are right about the Kaset Slip.. I can see the similarities too!! Great call.. It's makes such a difference in the heat... But I think you have it right!! Make that tag!!! ;-)

The Budaraska is stunning.. I can't Believe the different shades and then the grand finale ... I have never seen one like that before!! Simply beautiful!!

I'm glad you had a good talk with your friend.. I'm sure it made you feel better and just to know what is what... If I don't label right then and there.. I am Toast.

Hope all of your trees stay in the fence that surrounds your patch.. No thieves aloud!! Good luck!!!

Thanks for the beauty...

Laura

• gidgetsocal
    9 years ago

What a beauty! Plumeria are such chameleons!!

• texasplum
    9 years ago

Glad you got if figured out!

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    9 years ago

It's getting there, James!

• Kimo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again everyone for the assistance!!! Mona good to see you active on the forum again..

Cheers

• Kimo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok got confirmation that this is what it's suppose to be. When you buy Thai plumerias and you only see a pic of the flower/inflo taken in Thailand, what you see may not be what it looks like in your growing climate. Here is a pic of the same Kased Silp grown by Petch V in Anaheim Ca, looks just like my flower.

target="_blank">

Here is my pic from May:

Thanks for all the feed back and help!!
    Cheers