Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19802998

A Plumeria in the UK

User
10 years ago

Hello all,
I am new on this forum, usually on the Adenium forum. I have success with Adenium so I tried Plumeria a few years ago. I wonder how many members are from the UK? The pic shows my yellow plant, I also have a pink but it has decided to go dormant again. Both plants flower for me, and you can see the inflos in the picture. The yellow was bought as Jacks Yellow and the pink as Thorntons Raspberry. So here is the yellow as it is this morning, not bad for 53 degrees north ? Hope the buds stay on.
Happy growing.
Brian UK.

Comments (31)

• averil
    10 years ago

HI Brian, I'm usually on adenium forum. I have just got some plumeria seeds and got some advice from the nice folks on here. I planted 3 days ago and shall wait patiently. Your plant is super. How old is it?

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Hey Brian. Looking good! I imagine there are more plumeria growers from the UK but your the first I have seen post.

Mike

• elucas101
    10 years ago

Not bad at all - very lovely actually!!! Great job!

Averil, please be sure and let us know when you see some activity!!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Averil,
    Yes I think we have corresponded on the Adenium Forum. I have had the plant now for 4 years, it is a grafted plant. The graft point is on a slope, I wonder if anyone is trying flat grats like with Adeniums? My yellow has the best flowers but the pink has the best scent. I did have another that smelled strongly of coconut but that one rotted. I have grown from seed but found they just raced up to the sky. Good luck with yours.
    Hi Mike,
    Thanks for your response, there may be quite a number but they are keeping quiet. I have never seen a Plumeria growing where it should, outdoors in the warm sun. They must look amazing.
    Happy growing,
    Brian UK.

• averil
    10 years ago

I was looking on a Uk site with a thought of buying a plant in Uk Brian.Yikes 70 quid and upwards! .. A no goer I'm afraid
    Elucas I sure will let u know if any little heads pop up
    Kind regards
    AVERIL Uk

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Averil,
    I have never seen prices like that in UK, try this site plumeria2u.co.uk this is where I got my yellow plant.
    Happy hunting.

Brian UK.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Brian, great job with your two! The Jack's Yellow looks terrific--I think this may be the one they've just renamed "Grace" that's supposed to be semi-dwarf. Or is it maybe Yellow Jack, from Florida Colors? So confusing! I know plumeria2u gets a lot of stuff from FC.

Anyway, you're doing wonderfully to get them to bloom in Old Blighty. I think Gill used to be on here but seems to be more into her adeniums now.

Let us know when you get some blooms open!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Brian!

Hi Averil!

Just wanted to send my best wishes and it is wonderful to see you on this side!

Hope you all are doing well!

Take care,

Laura

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Laura and jandey for your encouragement. The yellow seems well suited to my conditions and no one is more surprised than me ! I have read that they need 6 hours of sun each day to flower, well mine are lucky to get that in a week! Maybe our long hours of daylight in the summer balance it out, if only plants could speak.

Happy growing
    Brian UK.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello all,
    Just posting a photo of my yellow plumeria bloom that opened this morning 13th. It has seven petals, is that unusual? Lots more to open. Good luck with all of yours.

Brian UK.

• tedb4
    10 years ago

I'm reposting this from the adenium forum!

Just a quick comment on Plumeria2U out of the UK - I bought seeds from them with no problem, but with 2 purchases of adeniums from David Clulow in the first shipment 2 out of 5 plants were rotting on arrival, and when Stuart, the owner eventually responded a couple of months later, he promised to replace them and I ordered 5 more plants because I was very happy with the 3 that did arrive, he said he sent them but never provided any mailing information and of course they never showed up. He has also stopped answering any emails...
    I'm not the only one... see

http://goo.gl/ne0Ru

I can't post the actual link so this is a shortened version from google...

order with caution and please let me know if you want any specific details...

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello all,
    In view of the posts being made with regard to the Manchester company I feel obliged to say that my only connection with them is as a customer. Also I personally buy my seeds via the US Ebay site.

Brian UK.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Brian, beautiful bloom! This seems like it's a very forgiving and generous variety for those of us in less-than-ideal climates who are looking for a reliable bloomer. Thanks for sharing the info.

• pcput
    10 years ago

Congrats Brian! It's a beauty! Peg

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello all,
    Here is an update, these photos were taken this morning 25th. I can really recommend this variety for northern growers.
    Here is the first of the two inflos -

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the other one -

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here is the whole plant.

Brian UK.

• RuthieW1685
    10 years ago

Hi
    I fell in love with plumeria when I saw them growing in Thailand on our honeymoon. My husband tried to order a plant for me from Plumeria2U as a first anniversary present but it never arrived. When he chased it up, the owner promised to send another plant... two years later, still nothing!

I would still love to have a Plumeria plant but I'm not sure where else to try. Any advice would be great!

Ruth

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    10 years ago

Lovely plant! That plumeria is way ahead of many of the plumies I have here in So Cal. Nice job growing! :)

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Ruth, you might first check with Jungle Jack's--he also sells internationally if you're outside the US--as he sells the yellow above, along with many other proven varieties. Don't be afraid of the pricing; their plants are very healthy with good roots and are always carefully packed for shipping.

For starters I'd recommend JJ's Divine or California Sunset, or Jack's Yellow as above.

• Lynzzz21
    10 years ago

Hi I'm new to the forum( only joined today). I'm in Yorkshire UK, and I've grown 2 plumerias from seed. They are about 6 years old now, seem healthy but have never flowered! I saw the other post from the UK and I'm now thinking there IS hope for me to achieve flowers eventually. Is there anything I can do to encourage them to flower? They are in as much sun as I can manage, I move their pots into the sun during the day and bring them indoors at night. They are fed every 2 weeks and are also well watered. Look forward to hearing any tips.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Hi, Lynz, and welcome! Your plants look great--good job growing them in a less-than-ideal climate!

My first suggestion would be to put them into much bigger pots. They need the root room. Seedlings can easily fill up a 5- or 7-gallon pot by the time they're three years old, so yours would probably appreciate the extra space.

Is it very cold there at night during the summer? Unless it gets down to the 50's (F) I would leave them out during the evenings in summer. You have nice long days and short nights so I don't imagine it would hurt them to stay out.

Good luck and keep us posted!

• Lynzzz21
    10 years ago

Hi, I took your advice jandey, left my 2 plumerias outside all August and September, they look so much more healthy now. Their leaves are a darker green and instead of drooping they now seem to point upward, still no flowers but I'm hopeful for next year now. Unfortunately we have had gales and rain for the last 2 days so my beloved plants are once again inside after being blown over twice. Thanks so much for the welcome advice, from cold, windy yorkshire

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Glad to hear they're doing well, Lynz! Keep them going as long as you can in a sunny window when they have to come inside for winter, and put them out again in spring in the biggest dark pots you can handle. The dark pots will heat up nicely in the sun and stimulate root growth.

You may still have a couple years' wait for blooms, but I hope they bloom for you sooner!

• missy1987
    9 years ago

Lynzzz21, where I can buy seeds for Plumeria? I had one already grown like 20cm, and it died:(

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Check out Brads Buds And Blooms. ( Florida )

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=brads+buds+and+blooms

They have a great collection of seeds. Plants and trees too! Great quality!!!

Good luck!!

Laura

• gabio47
    7 years ago

Hi everyone, I realise this is an old post but thought it worth an ask. I have several frangipani plants which I need to get rid of and I hate to put a good plant in the bin. I have one that is about 5 foot tall and others which are more like 1 foot tall that I grew from seed. If any of you would like one I'd be willing to send it to you just for the cost of P&P And if anyone is near Plymouth then the five footer is probably best collected & £10 xx

• Jirapa (aka Boom) M
    7 years ago

Hi gabio, nice to see your post. I am from southern California. there is a chance that our family will move to Sussex, Worthing to be exact, which closes to Plymouth where you are. I own over 50 plumerias here and will hate to give them all up. I hope I can grow them there. Anyway, I just want to say hello to you and if we end up moving there, I will buy your seedling.

• jamieperks
    7 years ago

Hi gabio I'd be interested in a couple of the smaller plumes. I'd love the 5footer but I'm in Worcestershire so a bit far from Plymouth to collect. Let me know if still available? Thanks jamie

• Abigail Green
    10 months ago

I am in Berkshire and this is mine im hoping flower this year but if not will be bext year

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!