Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mksmth_zone_6b

JJ's in Tulsa @ Southwood Nursery.

Well our annual shipment showed up over the weekend. Xanadu, exotica, fools gold, hearts desire, mini white, incognito, lemon ice, CA sunset, nirvana, jenny, nevita. All with inflos. Not even one divine!. One thing I noticed was they all were much smaller in caliper then years past and they were all very loose in the soil like the were not quite rooted. I was somewhat disappointed. Oh well I got more than I need so none came home. LoL.
Mike

This post was edited by mksmth on Tue, May 20, 14 at 9:21

Comments (24)

• rox146
    9 years ago

wow Mike , you sure got a lot more names than we got....roxanne

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    9 years ago

Mike,
    Nice selection though. I can only imagine what kind of pummeling these plants take in transit on a big rig. I was told 3rd hand JJ lost a significant portion of a starter crop 2 or 3 years ago and this might be the year when the ripple makes its way to consumer. 3rd hand info so take it for what its worth.

Contrary to your experience I found some very nice 3 gallon plants at the place east of San Antonio so it could just be the distribution network is luck of the draw.

• jandey1
    9 years ago

I've repotted one of the "2-gallon" size plants I just got and it was rooted but not established, if you know what I mean.

Funny, it was cut at a severe angle and most of the roots were as George H. predicted, growing mainly from the tip of the angle.

Still, it looks great and seems to be adjusting easily to the trip.

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    9 years ago

Thanks for keeping us posted, Mike!

There were only 13 left when I got there tonight after work.
    Was really tempted by Xanadu though it smelled similar to CA Sunset and Penang Peach to my nose so I went all crazy and went for Incognito which has an inflo but no open blooms so who knows if it indeed has a fantastic scent or not? Laugh.
    There was only one Incognito compared to 3 Xanadu so I suppose if any are left when they go on sale I can always get another. ;)

Jen,

I noticed the weird slanted cut on my Rhonda that I got last year as well.
    Foolishly I repotted into the gritty mix before letting its roots develop and I lost it. :(
    I was hoping they'd get another Rhonda in this year but oh, well!
    I emailed them and at this point they don't know if they'll be receiving any more shipments.
    I'll let Mike let us know if they do get some more in. ;)

-Robert

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jen. I had the same experience with a Jenny I bought a couple years ago. It had one teeny tiny root. I managed to save it. Oh I also got my first brug flower from strawberries and cream. Wow they are nice!!

Robert. I didn't count them when I was there but I bet they didn't get more than 20 this year. I'll be out in jenks tomorrow so Ill stop by and smell that Xanadu. None of them were open when I was there.

Mike

Original Author
    9 years ago

Robert

Went by there today. They still have those Xanadu. I wasnt really impressed with them. The flower doesnt really Wow me. Now Nirvana is a nice one. Pretty color and smelled like grape Koolaid. I left it there for you or Kenny.

Mike

• jandey1
    9 years ago

What self-control, Mike! Still nice to have the option to see them and buy if you like a particular one.

Glad to hear about the brug, too! They must be very happy there. I put my can't-believe-it-survived S&C in the ground last week and it's taking off.

Robert, I should have left it alone in its pot for the season--I don't know what I was thinking. The other two are just double-potted now for the summer so they can sit undisturbed and grow more root mass. I'm surprised about that severe angle, too. Hope your other babies are doing well!

• durch
    9 years ago

just back from our local Lowe's

two stores nearby here. one had none. the other got a much smaller shipment than last year.

5 or 6 varieties. Jenny and Diva probably the most interesting here.

plants were in no way ready for sale. they are potted in bogged out peat moss and barely rooted at all. if buyers don't pay careful attention they'll rot these toot sweet here.

This post was edited by durch on Sat, May 31, 14 at 12:47

Original Author
    9 years ago

Well southwood got another shipment and it was a good one. Many highly desirable ones. Gina, captivate, Xanadu J105 and many others. I was able to get my hands on a couple and have them put on hold for my buddy Kenny. One of which was Xquisite which according to JJ's blog was 1 of 2 sent out to all retail stores.
    Mike

• irun5k
    9 years ago

Mike, are those larger pot sizes in the second shipment? Hard to tell from the photos although it does look like a night and day difference.

Good deal on that Xquisite, I read the same thing about it on his blog, you lucked out!!!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Irun. Those are the typical sizes he ships at least to here. They have 2 sizes the bigger ones are $35 and the others are $25.
    Kenny is the lucky one. I just kept the crowds away from it. Lol.

• jandey1
    9 years ago

Look at all those inflos!

Okay, which ones did you get?

• Kenny
    9 years ago

Yea!! Mike's da man!

I was expecting to see some other less common JJs like Tbred Tracy or Rhonda like last year but never Xquisite. Now I did remember John posted something about sending a few out to their distributors. Then someone in CA found an Xquisite for the 1 gal price a week ago. When Mike told me about it, I couldn't believe what I heard so I had to have it.

Mike,

I think back in 2012 when Desert Sunrise was available at Southwood, I didn't get it. Then I later found out it's a premium one with price more than twice as much, if not higher, direct from JJ (if memory serves correctly). I'm glad you got that one. Who knows in 2 years Xquisite might be among the common ones.

I picked up 3 yesterday - Captivate, Xquisite, and Gina (I gifted this one to someone to start the addiction).

Kenny

Original Author
    9 years ago

Jen, Believe it or not i brought home none of them. It was hard to walk away but i had too. I was mostly playing plumeria agent for kenny. I had an idea what he was looking for so I just went to check. However I may regret not getting a captivate. I had to fight off a couple ladies. One of them reached for kenny's xquisite to show her friend but I knew to not let her hold it. LoL. Really they were nice though. Never had seen them so i spent a few minutes telling them how to care for them. I bet they hauled off 5 or 6.
    Mike

• pcput
    9 years ago

I read some where (probably on jj's site/or FB) that all of JJ's are angle cut. They need the angle cut on the mother tree and with the thousands of cuttings being taken and the number of hands cutting, they don't take the time to recut the cuttings. By the time they arrive they are already callusing so go right into his rooting beds. When your operation is as big as his it's a time thing.
    Peg

• rox146
    9 years ago

Peg, can hardly wait to meet you.....roxanne

• pcput
    9 years ago

Looking forward to the trip and meeting you, Roxanne and other plumeria friends. So excited to see the beautiful trees in CA.
    Peg

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

Wow! Wish my Father-in-law was driving out here (he came out last month). I'd have him pick up one for me! He lives very close (could probably walk) to Southwood.

We visited there around Christmas time. All the live oaks had boards propping up the branches from the ice storm!

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    9 years ago

I really should stay off this forum. Laugh.
    After seeing Mike's post about the new shipment I returned my single tip Incognito and exchanged it for a 3 tip for 10 bucks more! Course it had blown over from this morning's storm and was dry and falling out of its pot and had lost leaves and one of its two inflos had been damaged but still I'm happy. :)
    Just wish Southwood would advertise better on FB and their own site instead of me depending on the kindness of Mike!

-Robert

• citizen_insane
    9 years ago

You guys are so lucky to get such good prices. I bought a bunch of JJ cuttings in February and rooted them. I paid a lot more for an xquisite cutting than you did for a rooted plant. Here it is blooming,

Jen you are right. All the cuttings were cut at an angle and were dehydrated. I tried to cut one that looked bad but the pith had collapsed and it was hollow inside. I could not root it.

I ended up grafting the tips for several plants that I could not root. Some of them were pretty tiny.

I just rooted the rest of them with the angle cut. It was way too risky trying to re-cut them square. I will make new plants in the future with square cuts.

George

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey robert. Looks like you got a nice one. Im glad they let you swap it out. Does that one smell good. I know its one of your requirements. You know i should hit them up about a commission for helping them market the plants.

Hey dave. You should Have your dad picked a few up they are going fast. We are trying to keep their sales high so they will get more in. Kinda of selfish but thats ok right. I remember that storm we had when you were here. Maybe next time we will have better weather for you.

George. So why would they cut at angle when straight is not any harder and it obviously a better way to root them. That xquisite is very nice!!

Mike

• mkwilson
    9 years ago

Are the plumeria at the southwood on 91st and Lewis? I have been talking to a lady named Betty for two months and most recently yesterday and she says they don't have any in and the buyer is still looking any help?

Original Author
    9 years ago

Yep that's the one. I was in there last week. They only had about ten left. They were just outside by the restrooms. You can ask for Zack or Desiree. They know all about them.

Mike

• mkwilson
    9 years ago

Ok thanks Mike I am out of town till next week I'm not sure if they will have any by the time I get there let us know if you see anymore come in I am really disappointed that they kept telling me they haven't gotten any in I've been waiting for months trying to get my wife a couple she is really wanting a plumeria that she can see flowers on or if you know of anyone that has any mature ones for sale please let me know

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner