Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

Bill I can feel your pain!

Andrew Scott
11 years ago

I directed the subject of this posting to you Bill, but I am sure there are many, MANY co plumeriaholics that can also feel our pain!

Temps in western NY are FINALLY staying warm now..not warm enough for me to leave my plumeria out over night but I am taking them out during day to do repotting.

Last year and the year before, I bought, traded and was gifted many cuttings. Once again I would like to thank all the people that did trades with me, and also the very generous people who gave them to me!

Let me say that using those small water bottles works perfectly for rooting most averaged sized cuttings. Now I did recieve some MAMMOTH cuttings, and those, obviously could not fit into those bottles. Mostly because of there girth..they were just way to wide!

Anyhow, now this spring, I have begun the enormous job of repotting all those cuttings that are now a year old.

To date, I have now repotted about a dozen, and I would say that I have at least 40 or 50 to go!

Even some of the plumerias that I bought from various nurseries needed repotting from 1 gal to 3 gal sized pots.

It will take many bags of soil and perlite, and also containers. The best advise given to me on pots came from my friend Sonia. I don't know why I never thought of this before BUT, she told me to hit up my local nurseries, lanscaping businesses and, garden centers. I did this last year and I now have a nice little stock pile of black nursery pots in various sizes.

Because of my back problems, I have staggered my repotting, and I attempt to repot around 9 or 10 every day. At this rate, I should hopefully be done by this Friday(if all goes well that is!).

On top of my repotting, I still have more plumeria coming in!

Does anyone have the number for the Plumeria addiciton hotline? I am in desperate need all ready. I got a call about a week ago from the Plumeria Police. Headquarters in Virginia Beach...the female officer told me she was on her way to take all my plumeia...LOL!

No I'm not off my rocker...it's a joke that Laura will understand!

Andrew

Comments (18)

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Andrew, I know your pain. I took two entire weeks to make plumeria soil, for my new plants, and the ones I got last year. I actually took a hammer and broke bags of lava rock into small pieces. It was actually relaxing. I had to adjust the gritty mix on the recommendations of the plumeria society in my area, the plants are doing great. These are all new plants, and some already have blooms. So it was worth it. Thanks to everyone on this forum, for helping me. Barbra

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

Andrew- One trick- 1,5L bottles. Larger and you can root a small tree in them, I use this size for everything now. 5 fit into a black 5 gallon pot with gravel in the bottom to weight it from falling over. Three foot ones I put into a large pot and really large cuttings I tie to a pole or post. Laura took one of my giant cuttings last year and tried to smuggle it on the plane. She cannot be the police because she is a bigger violator than you. Have fun. Bill

• jandey1
    11 years ago

As long as she didn't try smuggling it in her pants...

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Bill,
    I think I am using the same bottles. I thought I was using the same but I use the 500ml bottles, but for free I get juice bottles from my partner's job. Those work great too. I used your trick of placing the bottles into a 5 gal pot. I only had to do that with the large cuttings that a very generous forum member sent to me. What I love about those cuttings is that I now have instant trees!!I thought that when it came to rooting, they rooted just as fast as the smaller 10-15in cuttings.

I was worried about the largest rooted cutting though. That cutting is HUMUNGOUS! Anyhow, the cutting rooted and bloomed for me last year. Once during the summer, and actually it bloomed again for me, over the winter.

What concerned me was 4 or 5 times, I removed clusters of mushrooms that were growing by the base of the cutting. Today I decided enough was enough, I had seen a teeny tiny little cluster of mushrooms growing AGAIN!

I inspected the base of the cutting to see if there was any rot, and THANKFULLY it was rot free. I discarded that mix, and repotted. What amazed me was that I had potted that cutting in a 3 gal pot with 3 raw eggs. BILL ALL 3 EGGS WERE TOTALLY GONE! I figure the cutting (from the time I potted it till now) had been barely potted for a year. AMAZING, and it did pay off, the roots were very thick, and the pot was half filled with roots.

And your right Bill...it was Laura...LOL! Her and I debate about who's worse, and we both have said that we're almost tied at the amount we have.

Hi Honeybunny,

I respect everyone for there soil choices. At the end of the day, I figure you use what works best for you. I have gotten away just fine with just mixing perlite and MG. Last year I had a bunch of my cuttings blooms either when they were rooting or right after so they must be happy. I really think running my 600 watt HPS light really gives them the added boost that they need to really get rooted and growing.

Hi Jandey,
    LOL! I assume you also are repotting?

I have to admit, I complain about repotting but I really don't hate it. I actually do enjoy it. Especially with the cuttings that I rooted with the raw eggs, I love to see if the egg was used up or not. I also think that repotting in the spring gives me the opportunity to get a good look at the plumerias so I can see how there doing. Yesterday I sprayed my J105 for the second time..I spotted spider mites on the tips and leaves. I ended up stripping all the leaves(that really did hurt, and I know I could have gotten away with just leaving them on and spraying the leaves, but because I am still growing them indoors under the lights, and in close quarters, I didn't want to risk taking any chances.

Andrew

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hey Andrew,

Sounds like someone is busy? : )

Hey Bill... GUILTY!!!! LOL. I did get them home tho!!!

I was the one with "THe Antlers" trying to get those bad boys on the plane... I did have to do some surgery at the airport to get them toned down just a bit... People did stare at me. Wonder Why? LOL...

Jen..you are so funny.. If i had those somewhere inside my clothing (pants..LMAO) I couldn't walk. The eyebrows would be raised quite a bit!!!! They would have taken me away and put me in cuffs and chains. If you could have seen how large that cutting was, you would have just laughed. But when you have your mind set on getting those babies home, Never say NEVER!!!

Andrew... I dont count trees anymore. You and i both know that we are not helping our "addiction" If your other half knew how we "enabled" each other..Arggg!! They wouldnt allow any communication at all!!!! : ) Way to funny!!!

Hope all is well with everyone!!!

Laura

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I just sprayed coffee all over my keyboard. Plumeria smuggling visuals are too funny.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Andrew, there are a lot of beneficial fungi that could be growing in your pots so I wouldn't worry too much about the mushrooms. Keep feeling your trunks below the soil line for too much moisture. I get them a lot in the spring, too, but never had any issues with rot.

I finished my repotting in late February or early March. It was so mild this winter the days were perfect for some outdoor activity. The seedlings didn't miss a beat but several of my rooted cuttings took until late April or early May to push out new leaves, though I think they would've been slow with or without repotting.

Laura, how did you do surgery at the airport? Did you have to pack a handsaw? Too funny! No one can accuse you of less than 100% commitment to your addiction!

• dpolson37
    11 years ago

Now we know why Laura's fingernails are white underneath. That isn't fingernail polish, it's plumeria sap.

Maybe she's been hanging out with the dreaded iguana's in South Florida and they taught her the fine act of pruning trees.

I can hear the TSA agents now. "Mam, is that a tree trunk growing out of your back? SECURITY!!!"

Dave

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi JEn,
    Thanks for the tips. I'm sure the 'Pyshco' plumeria tree is fine. In fact, I know so, since I did repot it and replace all the soil. It's just that that tree means so much to me because it came from Bill. Actually, it was some of the leftover scraps from Laura's trip! One of them that I guess she just couldn't fit in her suitcase, all though after recieving it, I can see why! IT'S HUMUNGOUS! The largest plumeria I have by far!

Hey Dave, how ya doing down there in Virginia? You crack me up! I actually COULD see the TSA agents being called on Laura, but I'm sure with her being a flight attendant, she knows exactly what to do. Maybe she bribed them with cash? LOL gotta love Laura:)

Andrew

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

Cash? cash? come on Andrew. you have seen that Laura smile. They probably helped her carry it on. Thought it was a set of raindeer antlers she was bringing for Brad's den. If you look in the dictionary under charming there is a picture of Laura. It was just lucky I ran out of cuttings or she would have needed a truck.

11 years ago

You Guys and Gals are way to FUNNY!!!!

HHHAAA HAA HEE HEEE............... LOL!!!!

K,

I was also thinking about What might be sprayed on my keyboard when i read Jen's post!!! Couldn't stop the shoulders from moving.. I was laughing out loud!! : )

Jen.. You would have been right with me when i had to Beg from a restaurant... Good thing TSA wasn't watching me "OPERATE!!!" That would have been the deciding factor if i was to be locked up or not... I was Quick!!! LOL.. You just wait and see.. I know you will be thinking of me when you visit CA!!! Can't wait to hear your story!!! : )

Dave,

You had to bring up the nails... LOL. You are right. It is Plumeria Sap. It is the latest trend here in Southern Virginia!! I think im going to sharpen my teeth and go and see what i can trim... LMAO!!!

Hey Andrew... LOL!!! You are really making me laugh..
    I had to stop myself from laughing out loud as i read these post... Those cuttings were pretty Huge.. Im sure your cutting was similar to mine in size since it was the "PSYCHO" This tree has made a name for itself... They were the largest cuttings i have ever seen. The TSA were probably so stunned at what i was bringing thru security.. They had to write a new section on what size cuttings were allowed after they saw mine... : )

Bill,

LOL...

To kind...

Thank you!!!

Laura

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Being enlightened to Plumerias I know differently, but imagine the people in line behind her:

"What is this lady with white finger nails and sharp teeth trying to do? Wow...Those are the biggest Asparagus sticks I have ever seen. Maybe its like a high fiber diet or something."

11 years ago

K,

Did i mention that i like Asparagus too? LOL...

To funny...

Laura

• jandey1
    11 years ago

"Beg from a restaurant"? Are you saying you had to saw through one of Bill's cuttings with a steak knife? Or worse, a plastic knife? That I gotta see next time!

11 years ago

Hey Jen...

"My lips are sealed...." I dont ever want to get anyone in trouble at the airport for helping a poor little old lady.. who needed some help... "cough. cough..." My DH had major eye issues at this point. I think he actually walked away so he wouldnt be an active participant in my little issue!!!

I will say that most people in ariports and other places can see the look on our face when we are "serious" about doing something.. I was lucky when someone came to my rescue and offered their... "CHAINSAW.." LMAO (NOT) But i couldn't help but say that!!! LOL... They did come to my rescue with some proper tools that helped me!!!

Whew... That was fun!!!

Next year, ill cut back a bit!!! : )

Have a great night everyone!!

Laura

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

"Next year, I'll cut back a bit" now that is what you see on a plumieaholic's tombstone.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I bet she used a plastic "spork."

• pcput
    11 years ago

Hi all, you guys are just tooooo funny.

k - I'm sure Laura would find a way to use a spork to do the job. I'd be jumping in to help in hopes she'd hand be a cutting for my effort. I can see the coffee running down the screen now !!
    Bill - Your right on, tombstone engraving for sure. And yes I agree, that is Laura's pic of chaming.

Dave - White nails - good one. Wish I had thought of it.

Jen - I bet if she could have found kids clothes she would have dressed it up as a kid and flew with it on her lap.

Thanks all for the laugh. Peg