Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jandey1

Who's planning to attend the PSA sales?

jandey1
10 years ago

I'm trying to decide whether to go to the June Seabrook sale or the July Ft. Bend sale--is anyone else here going to Seabrook?

On a side note, I just discovered an inflo on the Heirloom I bought last year at Seabrook--I am stoked! Didn't expect it so early but Barbra Randolph, who originated Heirloom, is well-known for her very healthy plants. What a great surprise! I'll be sure to post pics when it opens up.

Jen

Comments (29)

• beachplant
    10 years ago

I plan to go to the June sale. Still no list of cultivars up. I might be broke by then though, Larry is finally moving and wants to get rid of most of his plumeria so he doesn`t have to move them. I doubt if I can talk him out of that big metallica but you never know. Not sure what he has left but....AND Becky in LaMarque is selling ALL of hers! Even her big giant ones. I plan to go see her on Tuesday, she has a pretty good selection and my Scott Pratt cratered. (craigslist-Galveston-plumeria and she comes up).
    Tally HO!

• jandey1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Whoa, do you know why Becky is selling all hers? Sounds drastic!

I think I better just stick with smaller plants. Can already see how big Lemon Drop will be in the near future.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

Jen - have you posted a pic of your TLD lately? I have always been so envious of that one. :)

• jandey1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mona, I'll get some pictures of it as soon as the sun decides to show itself again. She's putting out about 5 inflos so far, some on tips only 2-3 inches long!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Jen maybe the 3 musketeers can go together, in one car, and share the cost for gas.. I would rather go to the Ft Bend sale, its much much closer, and you can pre arrange the plant sales, then just pick them up. If you pay ahead of time, then it approx. 25% less than the cost at the PSA sale. That is how I bought my Wildfire last year from Emmerson. Barbra

• jandey1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Barbra, that would work except that I'm so far north of you guys. I thought it would be fun to have lunch together after the sale as a replacement for our usual meetings.

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

If you guys come stop by and say hello. I will be on table B. I am selling plants for the first time this year. It will be nice to put a face to a name.

George

• Kenny
    10 years ago

Jen,

I'll be there in June!

George,

I'm interested in a TLD plant if you have a large blooming size one for sale. What other cultivars will you be selling?

Kenny

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Hi Kenny,
    How big a TLD do you want? I got some big ones with 3-4 inflos (over 3', 3+ tips) but those will be very expensive to ship plus some branches may brake in transit. Your best bet is a canopy one that is short and multi-tip and will make a nice compact plant, good for a container. I got a 5-tip, less than 1' from the soil line with two inflos. I also have some 2-year old with a good root system but they are only one or two tip. I have 3-4 tips 1-year olds but have no inflos. Let me know which ones you are interested in and I will send you pictures of them.

I have some nice plants of India, Kaneohe Sunburst, Penang Peach, Mardi Gras, ... about 60 varieties for sale. Let me know what you are looking for.

George

• Kenny
    10 years ago

George,

I'll be at the PSA sale next month so I was thinking about putting the trees in my car and drive back. This is my first time attending a PSA event so I'm really looking forward to it.

Kenny

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Oh nice Kenny. I will take some pictures and send you tomorrow.
    George

• jandey1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kenny, go for a big one!! You won't regret it! Just stuff it into your car with a stick of butter and a shoe horn--I'll even help you!

George, if I make it I will definitely stop by.

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    10 years ago

Not sure I'll make it again this year.
    My weekend golf takes priority right now.

Jandey, I will be in Austin 5/31 for the African Violet National Convention next week. I could carry a few goodies for you If you wish? PM me on FB and let me know.

Lonnie

• beachplant
    10 years ago

George, are you going to be at the June sale in Seabrook? I need to get your list. See you then.
    Tally HO!

• jandey1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lonnie, you are so kind! Thank you, but I don't have the gift for African violets. Have a wonderful time in Austin!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Its a nice event. I'll do my best to attend. No real targets for me just more to visit and talk shop. Early is the best selection and late is the best conversation. J&B&E I'll email you guys as it gets a bit closer to see what we can figure out.

For the record...when I am on a golf course (which is purposely rare) I think about how many Plumerias I could grow on all that sunny land. :)

• beachplant
    10 years ago

I think Becky is just at the point where her health is making it hard for her to drag them all in and out. She will sell them as a lot if you know anyone wanting an instant collection.
    Tally HO!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

K, Barbara sent me a list of what plumeria she will have for Clear Lake, but she has not sent me what the cost of the plants will be, she is looking thru her records to see what she sold them for last year. I talked to Tex today and he is now living in Hempstead Fl, but he will be at the Clear Lake sale, he is now dealing in grafted plumeria. I ordered a dwarf watermelon from him last year, since he did not have any. He told me to email him my order and it would be ready in May. I called today to see about getting it, and he told me that he now sells only grafted plumeria. He is going to check to see if he has one that is not grafted, since I ordered it in Sept. Barbra

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Well if you can talk the PSA to move the sale In July up to the 6th-10th ill be there. Heading to houston those days anyhow.

Random off topic question here.

Where does Florida colors get their rootstock. Do they just germinate a ton of seeds?

Mike

This post was edited by mksmth on Wed, May 22, 13 at 16:50

• elucas101
    10 years ago

Jen, I got an African Voilet and 'African Violet pot' as a gift one year and I think the pot is the secret. I don't think violets like to be wet at all - as in, no watering on the leaves? Lonnie is that right? All I do is change out the water and add fertilizer and it just does its thing, it's fabulous!

I would like to go to the sale but I am a horrible window shopper - I can't fathom going and not buying and I am still recovering / basking in the joy of my 3 JJ's purchases so I better chill out! Keep me in the email loop though, crazier things have happened!

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Mike,
    FCN grafts their plumerias on seedlings grown from seed by them.

George

10 years ago

Thanks George that is what I thought they did.

One other question and it may seem obvious. Will any seedling of any kind or color work as a rootstock. Assuming of course its a rubra scion on rubra rootstock? I guess what Im wondering is does matter if its a Thai variety on an Hawaiian stock or vice versa.

mike

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Honeybunny, you better be sharing that list of Barbaras! I can always pop up and see her I guess.

the pot is the key to AF, I have a bunch of them, bright light, keep the pot full of water and they grow like crazy, fertilizer on a regular basis. I`ve got a couple on my desk I have to take home and work on, they need repotting.
    Tally HO!

• jandey1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Barbra, if you get a chance to forward Barbara's list, I'd appreciate it. I will definitely be going, though I have no particular reason other than getting together with other plumeria nuts :-)

Mike, if only your trip was ten days later! The July sale is the 18th, I think. Let me know if you need me to track down something for you at the June sale.

Emily, I've seen people grow huge ones with a wick dropped out of a regular pot and into a reservoir of water, but my industriousness stops with plumerias, it seems, LOL! If you change your mind about June, let me know. Looks like I'll be doing the pre-dawn solo drive again, and returning in the afternoon.

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Mike,
    they use seedlings because they have a better root system than plumerias grown from cuttings. The variety does not matter much. Here is the root system of a 3-year old seedling. It has lots of roots from the side of the taproot.

For comparison, here is the root system of a plumeria grown from a cutting. It only has roots on a single plane around the perimeter of the cambium line.

Plumerias grafted on seedlings anchor the plants better. This is important for areas like Florida where they get hurricanes.

George

10 years ago

Thanks George. I was most curious because i have 7 of my own seedlings that Im not really sure what to do with them. Most are growing perfectly straight and about a foot or more a year. If they take as long as normal for seedlings to flower i may have 6 foot tall sticks.

thanks again. I have learned a bunch from your posts.

Mike

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Tex just posted from Florida Colors that he is leaving for Texas in the morning,he has over 500 plants loaded in the trailer, grafted, cuttings, rooted...Table O at the sale. Said the ladies keep adding more!
    Tally HO!

• jandey1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tally, thanks for the info! I love the idea of Carol and Kay sneaking more plants in there while he's not looking, teehee. Very pleased to have some Florida Colors plants coming! They have some very good varieties they've developed themselves.

• Kenny
    10 years ago

They've released the list of available cultivars for the PSA sale next week. Time to get your wishlist ready!

PSA variety list Clear Lake 2013

Kenny

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz