Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mksmth_zone_6b

everything is back in

We have a very good chance of tornadoes and large hail today and tommorow. I decided the greenhouse with shade cloth will offer better protection than out in the open. Last night I put everything up but left out my seedlings. sadly one of them fell off the bench and broke in half.

Edit- well I decided the broken one would make a good rootstock for a cutting that I have given up on. so we will see how my first attempt at grafting goes. who's knows better than throwing them away. Its small so I hope it makes. Here it is before I wrapped it. pretty good fit.

Robert, Kenny, Allan. You all be safe today and tomorrow.

Mike

This post was edited by mksmth on Sun, May 19, 13 at 11:32

Comments (30)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

Ugh. Sorry to hear one of your plumies fell over and broke! :(

We were in OKC last night when the storm started. Very strong winds and amazing lightening. We actually drove through the storm all the way back to Tulsa.

Guess I'll be moving things back down into the basement and the garage.
    The good times never end! Laugh.

Oh, went to Southwood yesterday and talked to the greenhouse worker and still no plumies but maybe they'll be in this coming Thursday?

The wait is killing me. :)

-Robert

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

It looks great! Keep us posted. I tried it once but didn't take my time or do a good job and it fell off during a summer thunderstorm and I gave up.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wow Robert thats pretty brave. That highway is a true tornado ally. Glad you made it home OK. Thanks for checking with them. I hope they show up this week.

Thanks powder I'll update when it hopefully takes.

Mike

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Hey Mike, out a plastic bag over the graft and tape it on the trunk with electrical tape. It will hold in moisture and the small graft will not dry up and die. It increases the chance of success significantly.

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

put not out

• Kenny
    10 years ago

Mike,

Sorry about your casualty. I hope your graft will take off. I had a seedling pot tipped over last night but it wasn't broken.

I had someone in the area checking with Southwood too. The employee there said the plumies won't be available for another few weeks.

I found there's someone else in Mustang who has plumies! I don't know if she's on here. So there are people out there who grow plumies in OK lol.

Kenny

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for tip George. I'll do that now. I was hoping you would see this.

Kenny. our numbers are increasing. that's pretty cool. I guess no one at south wood really knows anything do they LOL. someone says one thing and another says something else's. I think we. would have better luck calling john and as kind him when they will be shipping them out.

Mike

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

Be careful if you put plastic bags over them. I see you are in zone 8 so it may not be an issue. I would keep them in the shade or heavily filtered sun under a tree or something. I had a small disaster with plastic bags a few years ago and several big, new cuttings that I had collected got sunburned so badly they couldn't recover. It just cooked the inside, BUT keep in mind that was in extreme South Florida.

• AllanRandall
    10 years ago

I'm with you Mike, I'm going to be bringing my plumies and brugmansia inside. I am hoping everything else can handle it.

Where exactly is this southwood you guys have been talking about and can someone let me know if the get thornton lemon drop? I am still on the hunt for one that isn't grafted.

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Hey powderpuff, you only have a problem if you form kind of a solar collector. It you use black electrical tape inside the bag it will soak up the heat and fry the scion. If there is nothing black inside it never gets sunburned. Here is an example of a graft I wrapped with black material and sealed it in a clear water bottle. It formed a perfect solar collector.

This is what the graft looked like in just one day. It got fried and completely destroyed.

You can avoid this problem by simply using an opaque plastic bag, like a newspaper bag, that does not let the sunlight in. The graft took and it is making leaves.

George

Original Author
    10 years ago

Allan. Southwood is at 91st and riverside. its one of the largest independent nursery here in Tulsa. they only get jungle jack plants so they won't get a Thornton lemon. I'll be looking for an Inca gold or one of his new releases.

Powder & George. I put this one inside the greenhouse but in the shade. Thanks for the advice to you both.

Mike

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Emerson has thortons lemon drop, not grafted. I picked a nice one up from him last fall. Off the top of my head I don`t remember the price. He had quite a few when I was there and since that was just a couple of weeks before he left for Florida I imagine he still has them. If not listed on his website just call him. He`s deaf as a post but his lovely wife will help you out.
    Tally Ho!

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Mike, sorry about the accident with your baby. Glad to hear that you all made it through. You`ll be a grafting expert before you know it. Stay safe.
    Tally Ho!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Tally. Tornadoes are touching down right now north of OKC heading my way. Allan Kenny you guys OK?

• AllanRandall
    10 years ago

I am fine Mike, I am in Moore and we seem to be getting the weaker storm.

Tally,

I remember you mentioning Emerson in another post. I looked on their website and sent them an e-mail from their site regarding lemon drop, but i never heard back (unless i missed the call). I couldn't find a phone number for them.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Emerson may still be traveling, but keep trying the email. There's also the Norwoods, who sold me my big Lemon Drop. I'll put their web link below. Tex is on Facebook, so if you're a member, check him out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Plumeria

Original Author
    10 years ago

Well parts of OKC and the surrounding areas got hit very hard. We had debris falling from the Shawnee tornado. Several reports of newspapers and pictures from OKC falling in Tulsa. thats 90+ miles apart, WOW!! Fortunately for us all we got was some wind and rain.

Round 2 is coming for us this afternoon so everything will stay inside one more day.Sounds like OKC will get a break and the storms will start closer to Tulsa this time.

Thanks for that link Jen!

Mike

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Jen,
    Tex has moved to Florida is part owner of Florida Colors now.

George

• Kenny
    10 years ago

Mike,

We were hit with dime/nickel sized hail yesterday. My plumies were out and only a few got pelted. Just some leave damages on those affected. I moved the ones with inflos under the porch so those are fine.

Kenny

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Hey Allan,
    I got about 10 Thorton Lemon Drop plants I plan to sell at the PSA sale this year. They range from 1-4 tips and some have inflos. I also have two canopy cuttings that are rooting now (5 and 6 tips with multiple inflos). I can sell you one. E-mail me if you are interested.
    George

• beachplant
    10 years ago

There ya go Allan! George comes through again.

Everyone OK up north? Tornado season has really heated up this year.

Emerson is usually home in April I think. I thought Tex had moved, he had a big sale last year and got rid of most of his plants. He had some really good deals but I was working! Grr.
    Tally HO!

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

I'm so worried for those of you in OK, particularly Allan in Moore. Mike is in Tulsa, correct? Where exactly is Robert? Have not seen him post. Where do you live, Kenny? Really keeping all of you in my thoughts!

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

Hi Moonie,

I'm in Tulsa like Mike however I'm in midtown where as Mike lives out south.

Thank you for the concern.
    I just posted today with a question about Fuzzy's Red Rose. :)

We're all bracing for the next round of nasty weather!

-Robert

• Kenny
    10 years ago

Thanks Moonie,

The tornado was just 4 miles south of my house. That was crazy! Strong downpour and golfball sized hails.

Allan's area got affected, are you okay?

Thanks for thinking of us.

Kenny

This post was edited by k2fl on Mon, May 20, 13 at 17:20

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey all. I work on the north side of tulsa and live now in glenpool. I am about to leave work and head home hopefully missing the storms. That one that hit moore is bad. I know that is were Allan lives. Im praying he is ok!!

Wow Kenny that is CLOSE!!

Im getting annoyed with this weather.

Mike

This post was edited by mksmth on Mon, May 20, 13 at 17:17

• pcput
    10 years ago

Anyone had word from Allan? They keep interrupting tv today with updates on the damage. Sending prayers your way that all is ok. Peg

Original Author
    10 years ago

Peg

he has not replied to my email yet nor posted anywhere here. Last time I checked there was 40,000 people without power.

Mike

• pcput
    10 years ago

Thanks Mike. I'll keep praying for him and all who were in the path.

This post was edited by pcput on Tue, May 21, 13 at 17:53

Original Author
    10 years ago

just found out Allan is OK I updated the other thread

• jandey1
    10 years ago

George, thanks for the info. I knew Tex and Kay were working with Carol and Luc, but didn't know they'd bought into the nursery and moved out there. Glad I got my huge TLD when I did, and very glad Carol has some help with Luc gone.

You all in OK are in our thoughts as you clean up after those storms. Thanks for letting us know you're all safe.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012