Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stormys_mom

ok seeds and cutting are potted wish me luck!

stormys_mom
11 years ago

I soaked the seeds overnight between 2 paper towels soaked in spanish water. This morning, I used a strawberry plastic container, planted the seeds . They are on the heat mat and under an ott light. Is it ok to put them under the light at this point? I need all the suggestions I can get lol

Jackie

Comments (6)

• Minderella
    11 years ago

Good Luck with your seedlings. Mine are about 1 week in the floating styrofoam (6 of them) and 6 are in a cactus/perlite mix. I like the styrofoam better because I can see the roots starting. I am going to leave them in another week then plant them in cactus mix. Jackie I dont know about light because mine aren't on light or heat mat. I have them in a room that stays close to 76 degrees.

• Tropic_7
    11 years ago

Hi Jackie,
    Where do you live?
    The reason I ask, I want to know how warm your nights are?
    I'm not sure what zone Md is?
    Good Viable Seeds will need air circulation.
    I watered mine once a week, but kept them on a warm patio on a table. I always checked the soil for dryness.
    They don't take long, did you plant with the wing tips up?
    I feel a good warm place out side in shade during the day should be good, but not in direct sunlight.

• Tropic_7
    11 years ago

Yes! I agree about the "Cactus Mix" I think Miracle Grow puts one out. I don't fuss over mine and they are as easy to grow as a sunflower seed!
    Just so you know....some come up fist and some take a little longer, just give the ones that take longer the same love and attention as the quick sprouts!
    It's very exciting! To me they're very forgiving too!
    Good Luck! Stuart

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

Good luck, Jackie!!! It sounds like you are doing everything perfectly.

My seeds got plenty of misting, I didn't water them until they were a bit older, I think a good watering once a week or regular misting will work great, depending on your preference. Going the watering route may be better as you won't be as tempted to mess with them, lol. If you leave your seeds outside just be sure they don't dry out, and under the grow light is great for them! I wouldn't leave mine on, turning it off before bed, and always on the heat mat. You'll see growth soon, keep us posted!

What varieties did you get? (both seeds and cuttings)

Wendy

• stormys_mom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the support lol I need it!!
    @ Stuart I am in zone 7a. Its 84 outside now and nights are in the 60's.

Minderella I did get brave and am floating one. :)

Wendy right now just Mardi Gras. I also have seeds for Kaneohe Sunset and Blushing Princess. I thought I would start with one first to see how I do. I got the seeds from Brads. Also Laura sent me a noid yellow cutting which is potted in gritty mix for rooting. I also had another friend send me a lani rainbow cutting she ordered from qvc. Its rooting also. It has 3 tips and I see leaf claws. Years ago I had a cutting from a noid yellow that I potted up and it bloomed in 2 yrs. Of course back then I knew nothing about soil or watering it. It rotted, I cried and was determined to learn everything I could learn before I tried anymore. I have learned so much from all of you. I hope I get this right this time. Thanks again :)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

GOOD LUCK!!!!

: )

Laura