Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spiroan

Question on plumeria seeds

spiroan
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this. I've been growing plumerias since last spring (with plants given to me by a friend). But this spring, I thought I would try some seeds. I ordered them from Brad's Buds and Blooms (very pleased with the amount they gave me - WAY more than I actually ordered). Anyway, they have been in the soil for about a week now, and I haven't had any germination. I thought I would see at least a couple of seeds germinate by now, but am I just being impatient? This waiting is not easy!

I just put the seeds in a potting soil/perlite mixture, and set them outside like it says on plumeria101.com. Has anyone had success with this?

By the way, I saw the post about the tornadoes in Oklahoma. Know that you guys are getting prayers from DFW as well!

Comments (22)

• elucas101
    10 years ago

Hi spiroan! A week is normal to not have sprouts yet, but I would say you should see something by 2-2 1/2 weeks. As long as they are kept warm (80-90) and with good moisture they should sprout if the seeds are viable.

I put mine in the same soil / perlite mixture you did, they seem to like that mix a lot. Try to keep your soil at that wet but not too wet wetness LOL! Easier said than done! I use a spray bottle to help control the moisture.

Seeds can also be finicky, depending on the variety - I have great luck with seedlings but sometimes the seeds just aren't great. I buy from Brad's too and the huge majority of the time their seeds are great but there are some seeds that just don't want to sprout - I tried 2 different batches of Cindy Schmidt seeds and none would make it, while some next to them under the same conditions would thrive. I've lost 3 or 4 of 7 Waimea seeds while every one of the Muang Lucite seeds sprouted. Go figure!

Please keep us updated on your progress, seeds are so fun!

• spiroan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, elucas! That helps a lot!
    You mentioned that they need to be 80-90 degrees. I have them outside, and the highs since I put them out have been in the 80s and low 90s. However, the lows are getting down into the low 70's. Do I need to take them inside during the evenings, or should it be OK to leave them out?

I checked the moisture yesterday, and it seemed ok. And we are supposed to get rain this afternoon. So, hopefully, that will be OK. I just submerged my other plumerias into the ground, and I am always concerned with them getting too much water.

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

I've also got a bunch of seeds starting for the first time... Got mine from Fuzzy in HI.
    My instructions were to start them in damp paper towels in ziplock baggies which are taped to my bedroom wall which gets warm when the sun hits it.
    I've noticed that my no id seeds germinated within 3 days, JL pink pansy in four days, Waimea in five days, and penang peach has just been finicky with low germination rates. So I think that it either depends on cultivar or maybe just the seed pod. I've read some take two weeks. I had 10-20 of each kind, and have experimented five seeds at a time... They don't like to be cold or too wet, that's what did some of my batches in.
    Good luck to you, I love my tiny sprouts...

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    10 years ago

Seeds takes their own sweet time. I planted 3 penang peach seeds that my sister shared with me and it took 2+ weeks for 2 of them to sprout an I thought the 3rd one wasn't gonna do anything and then one day I went to look at the 2 that sprouted, I spotted the 3rd -- almost about 1 month after I planted them.

• spiroan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am feeling a lot better now! Thanks for all the responses.

Disney, when do you take the seeds out of the paper towel and put them in dirt - when they start showing roots? I have some more seeds left, so I may try that method. I wonder if it would hurt anything if I just taped the bags to my window?

• elucas101
    10 years ago

I think the temps you have them in is fine - unless your home is significantly warmer there probably isn't much difference. Your daytime temps seem perfect.

Personally I wouldn't leave the seeds in the rain so that you are the one controlling how much moisture they get - but then again, they do sprout in nature and nature is not going to be so forgiving in the controlled moisture department, LOL!

I stopped even soaking mine or putting them in paper towels - I just couldn't get great results even though I know many people do. Now I just put them right in the soil / perlite from the get-go. There are a few things that must be done to germinate, but there are also many variables that you can do to your liking.

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

Hello... I wouldn't tape them to a window that gets direct sun, nor one that isn't double paned if its cold outside. Just upright somewhere warm.

I check them every 2-3 days to make sure it's damp (I don't zip the bags shut).
    Then when the root looks almost an inch long I peel the husk and membrane off the leaves carefully with a fingernail and stick it in some moist cactus mix/perlite with half the leaf portion sticking out. They start out white but quickly green and split open with some bright light. Then they grow really fast!

• spiroan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK. I put 5 seeds in semi-wet paper towels last night and taped them up in my house. Sadly, I had to use the window. I couldn't find any place on a wall that gets sun that was high enough that my little girl wouldn't destroy it. And all the higher places had her coloring pages or something on them. So, I guess we will see. Cold won't be an issue, but heat certainly could be, if it dries out the paper towels. It is crazy, though. I ordered 25 seeds. I've planted 17, put 5 in the ziploc bag, and still have 17 left. I've read a number of things about soaking them in paper towels for 24 hours and then planting them. Maybe I'll try that, too.

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

Just getting ready to peel the husk and membrane off my latest batch... 100% germination on these Penang Peach but they were put in the baggies on May 12th if that gives you a time frame... I highly recommend "bloomingplumerias" on eBay... Extra seeds always thrown in, fast shipping and very reasonable prices.

• spiroan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Disney! Just seeing other sprouted seeds gives me hope. Those look great! Congratulations! How many times did you have to respray them with water during that time?

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

I wet the paper towel initially and never gave more water. I even left the baggies unzipped to air out. I just finished peeling them free of husks and putting them in little clear plastic cups... And then putting the older ones with a real set of leaves in one gallon pots. I initially started out with 60 seeds... And between a few non-sprouters (I didn't have patience for all of them and probably tossed a few viable ones for sure) and giving a handful away (after starting to stock up on gallon pots and realizing how much space they are going to take up... I'm still left with exactly 44 seedlings. I'm hoping they are fairly attractive looking by Christmas to give away as gifts...

• spiroan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good news! Two of my seeds in the pots are showing signs of growth. Both of the ones that are growing are Kaneohe Sunset seedlings. Super excited! I'll try to get pictures this weekend.

• elucas101
    10 years ago

Hey, CONGRATS! That is great news!!! The bad news is you have probably now become a hopeless addict like the rest of us. LOL! They are so much fun.

• spiroan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just wanted to give everyone an update. 11 of the 17 seeds that I planted in the pot outside have germinated (even after getting in a pretty good rainstorm), and another one looks like it is going to as well. 4 of them are trying to put out first leaves already (2 Kaneohe Sunset seedlings and 2 Vera Cruz Rose seedlings). In addition, 4 of the 5 seeds that I put in the plastic bag on my window grew roots and are now in small pots on my patio. The other one looked like it tried to grow roots, and then turned black at the tip of the root and decided not to grow anymore. Not sure what that was.

If anyone is curious, I had Kaneohe Sunset, Vera Cruz Rose, Maui Beauty, Aztec Gold, and Celadine seeds. The Celadine seeds were the last to sprout, and Kaneohe Sunset and Vera Cruz Rose were the first.

Very cool, though. Looking forward to watching my little seedlings grow.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

Yay!!! Sounds like you'll be overrun with tiny seedlings too!

• chuy415
    10 years ago

ok- I apologize if I have missed something in this thread but I did receive seeds just today but not sure if the paper towel method I understand correctly..... Do I put the seeds in between wet paper towels and inside a ziplock bag? or do I just wet paper towels and put the seeds on top and put inside a ziplock baggie without ZIpping the bag shut?
    thank you :0)

Chuy

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

I take a paper towel, and fold it into quarters. Then wet it little by little until damp... Too much water will rot them. Slip into a sandwich size ziplock Baggie.
    Then I tuck the seeds with the tail end up into between the towels,,,but only an inch from the top (so excess water is towards the bottom).
    I don't zip the bag shut.
    Then I tape them to a warm wall in the house - and wait. Good luck!

• chuy415
    10 years ago

the tail end is the feathery-like tip? sorry, I've never seen these seeds before and I want to be sure to not make any mistakes.. thanks Disney!!

Chuy

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

Yeah, the feather end is the tail. The root comes out of the end that is not the feather, so make sure the root will point down... So a row of seeds with the feather end up.
    Try like three scrawny ones first as a test maybe?

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Do I leave the tail end up uncovered?? And only cover the end that will root with wet paper towel?

Thanks so much Disney

Chuy

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

You can cover the whole thing... Or not I guess, I don't think it'll matter.

• chuy415
    10 years ago

ok.... thanks for having patience with me!!! lol thanks Disney!

Chuy

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations