Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mksmth_zone_6b

Should be a busy spring.

I wanted to share what I have going on and post an update on the cuttings I was gifted. I dont want to post who gifted them to me but wanted to say thank you again and to show the progress. there are some very cool types in the bucket.

About half of these are swelling and pushing out leaves. No roots yet but I have a feeling they will be coming soon. Its been about 4 weeks now so I expect them anytime.

I am moving in June(again) but this time with a huge backyard and a pool so Ill get to have some fun landscaping around it.

Mike

Comments (21)

• Kenny
    10 years ago

That's awesome Mike! Looks like your collection expanded over the winter lol.

The Puu Kahea cutting I rooted for you has leafed out and taken off nicely. When I'm heading to Southwood in June for JJ plants, you can get Puu from me.

Kenny

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Kenny. It sure has. Im trying to get caught up with yours, lol

I gave up trying to get in touch with whoever makes their order. My emails went un replied and to be honest I have been so busy with work/life that I have not had time to run by there. Its quite possible by now they have already made it. With all of John's new varieties I bet they might get some. Ill make a better effort to stop in and let you know when they arrive. Im sure we can meet up there and drool over them together, LOL My Delightful seedlings are about 1-2 feet tall now and Id like for you to have one if you want. I doubt they will be anything outstanding but to me they are special.

Mike

This post was edited by mksmth on Wed, May 1, 13 at 11:08

• Kenny
    10 years ago

I forgot Southwood gets JJ in May! Yes we should definitely go there and drool over the new shipments lol.

I took a pic of my "army" during lunch break. These are the ones that have leafed out. The ones in the totes have rooted over the winter and need to be potted soon. Your Puu is in the front (I had a hard time finding it from the bunch).

We'll be in touch soon about Southwood!

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

Wow! Both of you guys have it way worse than me. Laugh. I should show my partner all the trees on this forum so he won't gripe so much about all my potted plants. ;)

Can't wait for Southwood to get the plumies in! I got a $50 gift card on my birthday for Southwood and I've been dying to spend it but I've been holding out for the plumies. Laugh.

-Robert

10 years ago

Well it was definitely busy around here with the moving of all the potted plants back inside! I felt bad for the plumies that had small leaves already. I know they want to be in the sun instead of the basement but with a low of 34 predicted tonight you gotta do what you gotta do!

Mike,

I'm sure all your babies are back in your greenhouse. :)

-Robert

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey robert. You are correct. I am so tired of moving plants in and out as Im sure you are too. Fortunately I had only brought the citrus trees out so I didnt have as much to move. This weather is getting ridiculous isnt it.

I cant believe you have held onto the gift card already. I would have had that sucker spent the next day, LOL. That is some good self control.

Were did Allen go. I havent seen him post in awhile.

Hey Kenny, hows the weather in OKC?

Mike

• Kenny
    10 years ago

hi Mike,

Weather has been iffy here, it seems we're getting a cold front every week and each one would last at least 2 days. It was in the 80s a couple of days ago, now we're down to 39 and a freeze warning for tomorrow morning (in MAY!!).

I'm getting tired of moving my plants in and out LOL...when I used to have a couple it's no big deal but now with over 100, it usually takes me an hour to move these pots in. Yes Robert, it is its own work out :)

Kenny

• elucas101
    10 years ago

Mike you certainly ARE going to be busy! What a great group of cuttings, you are going to have an instant plumie jungle!

Kenny, nice looking family photo there! they are all ready to go. You guys aren't kidding though, this weather is RIDICULOUS. Just nonsense.

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Spring? 40`s predicted here this weekend. 40`s! In Galveston. In May! Expected to beat a record set in the 1800`s.

Nice group of cuttings there. I see your brugs are doing great.
    Tally HO!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks E. I have told myself over and over and over again, Ok Mike I think you are good now. But then I keep thinking well I dont have this one or that one yet so why not. LOL.

Tally, Wow that is chilly that far south in May. If we get any amount of snow, flurries, flakes anything today or tomorrow it will be the latest snow fall ever. Im all for seeing records broken but this is nuts.

the brugs are doing wonderful. Im really excited to see how big i can get them this season.

Mike

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Looking great, Mike!

I can' t wait to see what everything looks like when the temps finally adjust to " normal..." We are having some strange temps here in VA. People in the Northeast had higher temps than us and we had rain and cool temps for the last three days. Hopefully, it will warm up soon. The only good news is that it is helping my trees acclimate in a slower manner than if I put them out with these hot temps.. So .. I guess it is a good thing...

Have a wonderful night!

Laura

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Oh yeah, Mike, you're gonna need a few days to mix up all the soil you'll need for those cuttings! They look great. Can't wait to see photos when they're bigger and decorating your new pool!

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    10 years ago

41 degrees this am in Dallas. Crazy weather!!!
    Lonnie

• pcput
    10 years ago

Guys, those are a lot of VW's you've got there. Hope you have a large parking lot. (I've got no room to talk though) "LOL" Looking good. Peg

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Its been odd. the good news is every day of this type of weather is one less where it could be over 100. Nice cuttings. You guys have reached "Farm" status after blowing past "Grove."

I hope this was the last time to bring them in and out for you guys. I brought only the rooters inside for the two days it was in the low 40s.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone.

we should be good on temps now. No predicted freezes or even below 40. Finally may have broken free of winter.

K, Farm may very well be correct. Kenny and Allen will take care of the west side of OK and me and Robert got the east side covered, LOL

If we get enough people on board we may have to start an Oklahoma chapter of the Plumeria Society.

Mike

10 years ago

Ha! Lords knows at the rate I'm going I might as well be vice president of the OK plumie society. ;)
    I can't seem to stop myself from bidding on Fuzzy's eBay plumies (though I've never won a bid) and in a couple of weeks Southwood should get in their JJ Plumerias (I talked to a worker there this past weekend).

Currently 50, foggy and cold. I'm sure the plumies I left out aren't digging this weather. Where is th sun already? :)

-Robert

This post was edited by robert1971 on Mon, May 6, 13 at 11:31

Original Author
    10 years ago

Well everyone is outside for good now. Only 1 cutting has rooted. these are all my others. A couple have inflos not to far from opening.

Mike

This post was edited by mksmth on Sun, May 12, 13 at 22:22

• Kenny
    10 years ago

Mike,

That's a nice set up you have there! Do you not worry our high wind might knock them off the bench? Some of mine got tipped over last week in the storm and they're all on the ground :(

Kenny

• AllanRandall
    10 years ago

i've only got two and i've still been bringing them in at night. I suppose we have reached the point where i could leave them out... at least, i hope. The way things have been going, we could have a freeze mid july.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Kenny. Yeah that was a concern. I put some T-post behind them and strung some string back and forth to make a fence on the north side. South wind can be pretty strong here. I may put something on the other sides too. I just needed to get them off the ground so we could now.

Allan. you should be able to leave them out full time now.

Mike

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living