Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Jungle Jack's Premium White

Thanks to Mike sharing the news that Southwood Nursery in Tulsa has Jungle Jack's Plumerias I went yesterday and picked up a 'California Sunset' and small 'Premium White'. I understand that you don't know what you're getting with a 'Premium White'. Of course I'm hoping it will turn out to be 'Scentsation' since I love fragrance. ;)

I've read on this forum to look for 'FW' on the trunk meaning fragrant white.

The writing on ours looks like 'KW'.

Anyone know what that might mean?

I've also looked at photos of 'Scentsation' and the leaves look wider than my plant but maybe mine will grow larger as the plant grows? Fingers crossed.

It was hard decision between the 'Premium White' and their 'Mini-white' since the 'Mini-white'is labeled as having a strong scent.

Being a newbie with Plumerias I went home and repotted them into terracotta pots not knowing that the growing medium was mostly perlite so the root balls pretty much collapsed as I took them out of their plastic pots. :(

I'm hoping I won't lose any inflorescences and the plants won't go into shock.

Thank you,

Robert

'Premium White' is on the right-

Comments (16)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

When I bought my "premium white" from southwood it turned out to be a 'scentsational' so you may get lucky. Now that i think of it, there was something ?W on the trunk. Ill look tonight and see if it is still there.
    The ones I just got and the ones last year were not rooted all that well so for me I leave them in the nursery pot for atleast one year. The ones I got last year I re potted this spring and they had a real strong root ball.

I linked a thread were i posted the "premium white" i bought.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: My scentsational

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info, Mike!

Yes. I know your 'Scentsation' link well. My friend Kemistry from the fragrant forum has gotten me hooked on Plumerias (I grow several fragrant plants such as Brugmansias, Jasmines, Brunfelsias, etc.).
    I actually printed off your 'Premium White' pic and brought it with me to the nursery. Your leaves are much wider than the one I got so who knows? Maybe I'll feel better if yours has KW on it as well. Laugh.
    Wish I had left mine in their pots but nothing I can do about that now. Hopefully the white will bloom and it will have an awesome scent whatever it turns out to be. :)

Robert

11 years ago

Robert
    I hate to say that mine does have a FW on it. I can't imagine what KW would stand for so I hope it is just poor handwriting. The leaves are a bit different though

Mike

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for looking.
    It looks like KW to me but who knows?
    Maybe it stands for King White? ;)

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Robert,
    You could actually try emailing John at Jungle Jacks and ask him. If not if your on MPG ask Gabby or Sonia as they would probably know.

Good luck on the ID
    Cheers

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, freak4plumeria!
    Sometimes the most obvious solution doesn't come to you. ;)
    I emailed JJ's and John responded quickly and gave me my answer which I thought I'd share with everyone else-

'Thanks for the inquiry. KW is actually Ken's White, which is actually an excellent plumeria. The scent is not quite as strong as Scentsational, but it is a much better bloomer. Because of this we are building up stock on it, the goal being to make it our standard white plumeria going forward. Hope that helps a little. John'

11 years ago

sounds like a good one robert. I would say if they feel that strong about it I would be glad to have one.

Mike

Original Author
    11 years ago

True. The scent might not be as strong as 'Scentsational' but at least I'll have more blooms to sniff! :)

Thanks again for all your help.

-Robert

• pcput
    11 years ago

For all you JJ fans, I had a friend pick up a JJ plant from Lowes in FL and it's just marked Rainbow. There are no letters on the branches to help id it. Any guess? Thanks, Peg

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Ooh, that's pretty, Peg! Love the serrated petals.

• pcput
    11 years ago

Thanks Jen, I'm wondering if they will all look like that or it's just a stress thing. Time will tell. She also picked up a divine for me. Bad part, they will most likely be all done blooming when I get there in Nov. I'll be happy with pics for now. Peg

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

That really is a beautiful and delicate looking flower, enjoy those photos and I'm sorry you can't enjoy them in person!

• pcput
    11 years ago

Well the new blooms have lost the serration. Here's what it looks like now. Still don't have any guesses. Peg

11 years ago

That looks like California Sunset to me but then Jenny kind of looks like that also.

Mike

Original Author
    11 years ago

I would go with Jenny but of course colors change with heat and all.
    You could always email Jungle Jack's. That's what I did. He quickly gave me an answer. :)

-Robert

• pcput
    11 years ago

Thanks, Mike and Robert. I guess that is the only way to find out what it is. Peg

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County