Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
labland

Found cheap Desert Rose

labland
12 years ago

If anyone is interested in buying a Desert Rose, I had stopped by Walmart ( mine is in San Dimas) and found about 6 Desert Rose each were 15.95 or there about They are not yet in bloom, and some of the leaves had died, but nicely formed and healthy!

I digured considering I paid about 35 bucks for my first one ( which I lost this winter) I wouod be happy to try another at t $16. At the Spring Garden show one of the vendors said they need to come inside for the winter, which I didn't do.with my first one,until it was too late.I figured it will stay inside with my orchids instead. Athough if I lose this one, then that is it!

Hope this helps someone. Jennifer

Comments (7)

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Yep, I keep seeing good-looking adenium with nice, fat caudices at Lowes for about $15. I've also seen some very large ones in the tropicals sections of local nurseries for under $30, too. If you don't want a named variety I think that's a great way to go for a difficult-to-grow plant. Well, difficult for me, anyway.

The Other Jennifer ;)

• mystwitch
    12 years ago

Jennifer & Jennifer! Grow adenium just like you do your plumeria (same family). Water when dry, feed as you feed your plumies and when the weather begins to cool, bring them indoors to a bright window, they will sometimes bloom indoors during winter. I have had several bloom several weeks after bringing them inside for winter. Hope this helps. they are fun to grow from seed as well, if you find someone with seeds.
    kb

• labland
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! I think my problem was that I left it outside with my plumerias (in So. Cal. You don't need to bring them in). I think I will keep this one inside by my orchids. I had left it outside, and then when I brought it inside, I noticed it had gotten all mushy! Annoying because I spent $35 for it! This is my last attempt at it! Jennifer in California

• mystwitch
    12 years ago

Jennifer in Cali., you are lucky not to have to move your plumies. Living close to the Texas Gulf Coast, you'd think I didn't need to either but we have had 20� weather the last 2 winters! Not good for plumies and I even lost tips year before last in the garage!
    kb

• labland
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow! We did have some freezing weather, but that is fairly infrequent, I just covered my plants and seemed to have little damage. Other then 3 of my Singapore Whites, which had damage earlier in the winter, it must have been colder than I thought. I had to cut off all of the limp and blackened leaves, they have been slow to come back, but they are slowly coming back to life. Suprisingly, the one that I had in a pot, right next to the ones in the planter, was not damaged at all!!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    12 years ago

OK, so I broke down and bought another desert rose to kill. LOL! This from Lowe's for about $15. Nice plant and blooming deep red so couldn't pass it up.

I do think these plants are not as tolerant of difficult winter conditions as plumeria though. They like a bit more moisture and warmer winter conditions. Is this true? I'll keep it in our sunny bay window over winter rather than in the heated garage.

• labland
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Keep us posted! So far, I am leaving my new one in the bay window with my orchids.

Funny, in Hawaii, I saw them all over the place. A lot taller without the thick caudex, in fact it looked like they had more blossoms then leaves at the time. They were planted in the ground like the plumerias and they were a good 1- 1 1/2' tall.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH