Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rox146

C Star Nursery

rox146
9 years ago

Please help with list of Cstar names they give their plumerias.... have heard they tend to re-name things. I bought only C stars when I first got into plumerias (had 5 at the time...hahahaha). The ones I have that do perform well I would like to know if they re-named or hybridized themselves. I do not find a website for them with nice photos listing all of them. At the nice nursery in our area they have let me look at their poster with names and I have special ordered in years past... Goldmine and Inspiration for example. If anyone has insight, many mahalos, roxanne

Comments (10)

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Are you a member of the Plumeria Addicts group on Facebook? If you are, there's a C-Stars AKA list in their files section. I'll see if I can paste it here.

• rox146
    Original Author
    9 years ago

no Facebook here, sorry. Wonderful if you could post it....

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    9 years ago

Ok, here goes ....

(this list was compiled by Dianna Donnellan through the Plumeria Addicts group on Facebook)

C Stars Nursery -- Reference and Paint Codes

Angelica AKA Guillot Sunset. Strong red band on front and back of pink flower with small brilliant yellow center. Wide round, highly overlapping petals. Sweet fragrance, good keeping quality.

Armina blooms light brown/tan, seedling from Marmalade

Blood red aka Irma Bryant, Tahitian red, Suva red. Medium sized very dark red flowers and spicy perfume. Slow growing variety, leaves are light green with dark red anthocyanin, flowers are deep blood/wine red color, scent is stronger when picked, late season bloomer. Brilliant dark red flower with long narrow petals. Very nice flower shape, great looking plant. Long lasting blooms, sweet fragrance. Young foliage and mid-vein have red tint.

Breath of Heaven - Smells like kool-aid. Light pink that fades to an even lighter pink. The petal shape is similar to Singapore.

Bronze Star turned out to be stunning not a heavy bloomer but color was of a true brown

Cancun Dreams - mix of reddish tones that fade after a day or two which gives the clusters an interesting two-tone effect. Interesting mild spicy scent which reminds one of the women's perfume Samsara by Gerlaine. Deep red flowers with darker red center, maroon red stripe on reverse, round petals. Sweet fragrance. Recommended for the coast. great red and a great spicy smell. Deeper pink/almost red w/ heat when it first opens then fades to exactly as you have pictured. also has almost spicy cinnamon scent. dark pink band on back side as well as on top side of petals. red/orange/yellowish center depending on heat.

Cancun Pink AKA Playful - 3" pink and yellow flower has a nice sweet cinnamon fragrance. A rather tall, spreading tree. Nice looking pink, 3” with very pleasant citrus fragrance. It has a very good keeping quality. The plant is a very strong grower and can get tall. This is another plant great for a beginner. The blooms become the size of your hand and bloom all season long. Cancun is an excellent performer that also has very nice growth for landscaping purpose.

Candy pink - Very nice pink flower with a little orange gold center, round petals, pointed tip, star shape. Nice sweet fragrance. Upright and open branching variety suitable for landscaping, flowers are moderate to light pink with small brilliant yellow centre.

C-Star White

Fullmoon - yellow flower with slightly round, pointed white edges. Overlapping petals, very unique flower shape. Very nice citrus scent.

Gold Mine - Recommended. Largest individual flowers. Large multicolor golden yellow flower with orange center. Petals have radiating orange pink lines, round petals, pointed tip. When hot the flowers open up and look more of a solid red, then fade to a yellow rainbow but grainy looking.

Heaven

Isabella - Yellow with pink bands on the back and dark center

Karina White

Lady in Red

Lavendar Splash AKA Lavender Pink Blush, Princess Victoria (close). Sweet frangipani smell, Pretty but not a knockout to me. Scent is almost nonexistent. green tip is very fuzzy, unlike PV.
    Lemon yellow soft yellow, large flowers with lime yellow center. Citrus fragrance.

Lilyana AKA Lilliana, Vera Cruz Rose. It looks identical and the scent is so strong it borders on being overpowering. Large flower with overlapping, round creamy yellow fusing into pink reddish rainbow petals, red band underneath. Very nice strong fragrance. First to drop leaves.

Lipstick - vibrant rose red flowers with golden yellow center and very unique star shape. Sweet spicy fragrance. New growth has red-orange cast. Yellow 4" with pink and white edges.

Lollypop looks like a pink and yellow shell

Luna - magnificent large flower clusters. Brilliant gold center with wide round and overlapped petals. Lovely plumeria scent.

Madeline - star shaped, vibrant hot pink with gold center. Narrow elliptical petals, heavy spicy scent.

Marmalade looks like 'Angelica'. looks like a mix between J-105 and Penang Peach. Leaves are very different and round. Has a Thai look. Possible PP seedling. dark star running down the center of the bloom. Incredibly nice large salmon/orange/pink round flower. Overlapping petals. Absolutely beautiful and smells like peach. Salmon orange & dark pink, overlapping & the texture is thick & waxy. Also appears to be a compact grower. It almost looks like Penang Peach or a relative as it shares the same leaves with the hook. Color is really nice & its scent is cocoa butter coconuts peachy cream. Petals are waxy and thick. Scent has notes of singapore along with fruit & vanilla

Mazatlan - brilliant yellow flower with red bands under round petals. Recommended for the coast.

Pacific Pearl - Small white flower with a small yellow center. Scent is one of the best I’ve ever smelled; very classic frangipani. Most desirable plumeria for fragrance It also has wonderful growth habits, always first to bloom. Wide petals overlap moderately, good keep quality. Good graft host. great white very fragrant plumeria. 3" flower, blooms large cascades all summer. A pure white with yellow center but so fragrant, is a healthy grower. Almost 3” & waxy white & the scent is strong & wonderful. Cooler nights makes buds drop.

Pacific Star - C Stars Large white with yellow center, long wide pointed petals.

Picotee - nice dramatic pink bloom with orange center and pink freckles. Hot pink edged petals. Prolific blooms, sweet fragrance.

Pink Pearl - looks like Gardena, strong scent
    Pink rainbow pink orange flower with gold yellow center, round overlapping petals, very good keeping quality, good bloomer. Spicy fragrance, highly recommended.

Pink Serena

Pixie - semi fluted flowers with soft blush pink, and vivid golden center. 3.5 -4” with long over lapping petals and frangipani fragrance. Inflorescences are huge and flower production is extremely generous. Easy to flower, and sets seeds readily. large flowers, large bloom heads, and nice symmetrical growth.

Playful aka Cancun Pink. - light bubblegum pink, large bright pink flowers with gold center, very sweet baby powder scent. Flowers easily, but poor keeping quality. The flowers have a sweet fragrance.

Princesa AKA Tropical Treasure? splash, large red flower with gold center, round petals, slightly overlapping. Vigorous plant, fragrance is strong and pleasant. 2 ½” and the scent is very sweet. 3 3 ½” very nice sweet strong scent, and a short growth habit.

Princessa Maya - wonderful hot pink rounded petals that become pendulous like Japanese Lantern. The scent is really nice also. This plumeria looks very delicate. Very nice rose red with brilliant yellow center, round overlapping petals. Clusters hang like a basket when mature. Spicy fragrance.

Rainbow star - Unusual tricolor flower with distinct star pattern in center of flower. Rainbow blend of pink, red and white, round petals and gold center. Produces lovely 3-3.5” rainbow flowers of red, white, and gold, with a captivating orange-red star in the very center.

Rainbow Treasure - wonderful blooms and still fragrant. its hard to describe fragrance, almost peachy, not cinnamon like most reds. i wish it had a stronger fragrant but the flowers are more than worth it. blooms last pretty well. Recommended. Brilliant yellow with strong red bands on front and back of narrow, pointed tips. Slightly overlapping petals. 4.5''. Long lasting blooms, mild lemon fragrance

Red Lady - Fades to Purple. Beautiful 2 2 ½” butter yellow eye and shaped like Calcutta star.

Red Sparkles - smells like a bakery. Rose red with overlapping round petals, good keeping quality, sweet fragrance.

Ruby Star - deep fuchsia / red flowers with gold center and long round petals. Sweet fragrance. Tall.

Scarlet Red - red flower with darker red eye, actually a deep pink, poor keeping quality, long bloom season.

Sierra Madre AKA Zacatecas. Mexico. white 2 ½” with small yellow center. The limbs are thin and flexible. One branch is 3’, the other one is about 2 1/2’. It's supposed to be a heat tolerant and cold hardy plumeria. Collected in the wild by Bill Baker @ 6200 ft elevation near the town of Atolition, Puebla Mexico June 1987. It is hardy and will grow in snow and temps down to 10 degrees Fahrenheit. Will grow in the ground and thrive in snow. A white variety and typical Plumeria smell and look. Very long bloom season.

Wonderful Pink

Yellow aka Celadine. 3-3 ½” yellow with broad white margin on firm textured petals. Good keeping quality. Strong fragrance. Brilliant Yellow with white tips with a lemony citrus fragrance. Good Texture to petals.

C Stars color codes - Not certain there’s a difference between dot and dash of paint.
    Angelica 2 blue vertical dots
    Aztec Gold 4 vertical orange dots
    Blood red 2 red dots
    Cancun Dreams 2 red vertical dots
    Candy Pink ?
    Cerise ?
    Fullmoon Yellow ‘X’
    Gardenia three green dots forming a triangle.
    Goldmine Orange dot
    Hausten White
    Heaven 1 pink dot
    Irma Bryant 2 orange vertical
    Isabella
    Kaneohe sunburst 3 orange dots vertical
    Karina Pink vertical dash
    Kauka Wilder red over yellow dots
    Lavender Splash 3 pink in triangle
    Lemon Yellow 2 vertical green
    Lilyana red ‘L’
    Lipstick 1 red dot
    Lollypop ? and white vertical
    Luna ?
    Madeline ?
    Marmelade orange and green dot
    Mazatlan ?
    Mely’s Pink one pink dot
    Nebel’s RB 2 vertical orange dashes or orange ‘R’?
    Pacific Pearl White dot
    Picotee ?
    Pink Rainbow Pink and red dash
    Pink Serena 3 blue in triangle
    Playful 1 pink
    Princessa 1 red and 1 white vertical dots
    Princessa Maya Orange circle, red circle
    Rainbow Star 3 orange dots in triangle
    Rainbow Treasure Yellow orange red vertical dots
    Red Sparkles 4 red dots
    Ruby Star 3 red dots in triangle
    Samoan Fluff 3 white dots in triangle
    Scarlet Red Red and pink vertical dots
    Sierra Madre ?
    Singapore White ?
    Yellow 1 yellow dot

• Kimo
    9 years ago

Cstars has some of their own crosses like Marmalade and a few others. The sisters have a ranch/growing grounds in Mexico, this is where they get their cuttings from to import back to CA. Armida told me that most of their varieties are from Mexico, but that some like Japanese Lantern was gifted to them by someone in Gardena. I was also told that Cstars does get gifted plumeria from regulars from time to time, so only the sisters know what was Mexican and what was gifted.

• rox146
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is all so helpful..I did order Marmalade, Goldmine, Fire on Ice, several Rainbow Stars and 1 other I cannot find right now. Atleast I know I can gift off the Cancun Dreams....too many Playfuls already....thanks you guys, roxanne.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Great list , Daogirl!!

Laura

• toomanydogs
    9 years ago

Cstars plants were the first plumeria I bought 3 summers ago. They were all one gallon plants and not a single one has bloomed yet! How old do they have to be before they bloom? Most JJ plants come with an inflo or bloom the next year, what's up with these Cstars plants?

• rox146
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Same thing with most of mine. The 1 inspiration that I special ordered as well FINALLY has 2 inflos on 3 tips. WOW, you sure went in head over heals if you just got into them a few years ago.....:-))) roxanne

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    9 years ago

toomanydogs, this may be why Jungle Jacks is so popular. They have selected many outstanding varieties, not just visually, but for their propensity to bloom and dwarf or compact nature often inherited from Penang Peach. A lot of the older plumeria varieties which Cstar carries are tall lanky plants.

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    9 years ago

Marmalade and Cancun Dreams are the only C-stars plumeria I have that have bloomed more than one season. Granted, some of mine were 1 tip when I got them, but I agree about the tall and lanky part for sure.