Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shellysplumies

Water rooting

ShellysPlumies
10 years ago

Hey guys I would appreciate it if some one can advise me on what to do next ?
There are bout 3 or 4 root nubs(popcorn) but my question is, does that mean the cutting is consodered rooted ? Or is there still a possibility that it might not grow roots from the nubs.

Comments (14)

• ShellysPlumies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a picture of the bottom

• derft1
    10 years ago

Here is a Siam Lavender that I water rooted for 7 days. It had about 7 or 8 nubs on the bottom and sides. I then planted it in gritty mix on April 6th about 6 1/2 weeks ago.. The picture was taken today. I do not consider the plant rooted until it has at least several 6" leaves. Still needs two or three more weeks is my guess. My opinion for what it's worth. Hope this helps, Fred

• elucas101
    10 years ago

I have heard as soon as they have popcorn nubs to pot them up and 3 weeks max in the water. However, I have not personally tried water rooting - many on here have first hand experience though and there are some good threads you may be able to find by searching.

Fred, that picture is really pretty! Very unique looking with the background & everything!

• ShellysPlumies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Fred thanks for the feedback. Has your Siam lavender bloomed yet ? I don't have that one, but I've heard it's so beautiful!! Thanks for the picture too

Elucas, well I've kept this cutting in water for over 3 weeks now. I'm guessing its time to put in perlite and soil. :)

Michelle

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

Michelle - your nubs are on the side. According to George, aka Citizen Insane, you will only get roots from the bottom cambium layer. However, though it may be rare, I have seen photos with roots on the side of the cutting.

• derft1
    10 years ago

Michelle.

I bought two Siam Lavender cuttings. So no blooms. One I water rooted and the other I potted up just to experiment. Even though the one that was not watered rooted has been potted for one week longer it has no leaves yet. So I guess the water rooting helped get the process started. Not much of a sample though. I think you should pot it up too.

elucas101.

Thanks for kind words on pic. The background is my Magnolia tree out of focus as the camera was set to f2.8 for a small depth of field (focus area). I planned the blur.

• ShellysPlumies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Moonie , I just hope it will root.. It's a mahaka sunn cutting. I would be really let down if it rots or just doesn't root. Little leaves are starting to peak out so I think that's a good sign. :) I too, have also seen pictures of plumeria growing roots a long the side them..

I wonder why plumeria grow root nubs if roots don't even belong on the side ? Do you think the root nubs take in any water ? Do they even function as normal roots ?

Fred, so water rooting is basically the speedier process huh? I personally like leaving them in water because I always get the urge to pull the cuttings out of the soil to check the progress. I now know that that disturbs the rooting process and isn't really smart to do lol..

Thanks again
    Michelle

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Most of the roots are formed on the bottom from the cambium layer but they also will come from the side of the cutting.
    I have a 34yo Celadine, when you look at some of the branches you can see aerial roots growing from the sides on their own. Ive also seen it on my old Samoan Fluff, Guillots, Bali Whirl, Ruby Gold.
    Here is a pic where you can see the side roots, they are dried out so they had been there for a while

Side aerial roots

Cheers

This post was edited by freak4plumeria on Wed, May 22, 13 at 22:36

• derft1
    10 years ago

Michelle.

I don't know if it speeds the process. Way to small a sample to say for sure. In this one case it seems like yes. Although it could just be the difference in the cutting even though they came from the same tree.

• DelWH
    10 years ago

Michelle, that cutting looks like it's ready to put in the potting soil. Just keep the soil moist since that is the environment it has been in. I have water rooted a couple and they both took. I had another one that started sprouting roots from the bottom, but the roots were so fragile they broke off, so I just potted it up and figure that more roots will continue to grow.

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Shelly,
    How long have you been water rooting it for? I never leave it in water for more then 3 weeks max. The side nubs look good but your bottom might need a bit more swelling

Here is an example of what the bottoms can look like, look at how the bottom swells and the side curves outwards slightly.

I have also potted up cuttings that look like yours with only a few side nubs after 3 weeks.

As for Siam Lavender aka Violet Queen I think they are the same plumie. I got mine as a grafted plant as a gift with purchase from Noam Champa back in 2005 and it only bloomed for the first time for me in 2011, then last year 2012. The flowers were small but very pretty and the halo/eye in the center is gorgeous. A def must have for any collector...

Cheers

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Hi Michelle,
    Makaha Sunn is very hard to root; you are better off having it grafted. If you know anybody who can graft it for you I would have it grafted.

The roots you form from the side of the bark when you water root cannot absorb nutrients. New roots develop at the cambium line when you plant them.

George

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Good luck Michelle !!

Makaha Sunn is a beauty!!!

Keep us posted on your progress...

Laura

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA