Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can i grow my broken branch???

Posted by oomjayeoo CA (My Page) on
Sat, May 17, 08 at 11:38

I'm a new plumeria owner. well relatively. I've had my plumeria for about 2 years now. They were cuttings that have rooted and one plant has inflos on the branches. One of the branches on my young potted plumie was broken off by accident by the mailman. Can i grow this branch???? i cut the rough broken end into a 45 slant cut and I don't know what to do next. There's an inflo on the tip with some leaves. Its about a 10 inch branch that was broken off. Do i let it dry? Do I put it in hormone and plant? Help?! I want to save the broken branch...any advice? =( Do i treat it like a cutting? HELP !!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can i grow my broken branch???

remove all the leaves and the inflo now as they are draining energy from the cutting. Let the cut dry 5-7 days. I soak my end in B-1/superthrive and water for about half a day then dip in a rooting powder with fungicide (but you can start most common plumie without this at all) Plant in fast draining soil in a one gallon black pot and water once. Put on warm concrete and let it dry completely. I mist the top lightly but no water until leaves are 6-8 inches long. Reds or difficult to root you might search for my bottle method in this forum and do not water the center part at all. Hope this helps. Bill

o

I accidentally broke a branch off a bush/shrub growing beside our house. I want to know how to get roots back on it to create another plant. How..but easy because of limited finances..

o

Bill, the bottle method works really well. I used this with the large cuttings that I got this year.

I had to put the large cuttings(or should I say branches), in a bucket to support them.

I also wanted to say that the raw egg did not always produce roots faster but once they rooted, the roots grew really fast.

I think because the clear plastic allowed light, and heated soil faster, it created a much more ambient enviroment for rooting. Today I rechecked soil temps. Soil thermometer read at 90 degrees! Without the 600 watt HPS light, soil temps would have been much cooler, probobly around 70.

Soil temps were 86 in my 1 gal plastic milk jugs.

Kaneohe Sunburst(I broke off the inflo today), 1 Samoan Fluff, Red noid cutting, and Kimi Moragne are the only cuttings I got this spring that have yet to root.

Andrew

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here