Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stormys_mom

i am full of questions

stormys_mom
11 years ago

Anyone here from maryland or close by? Where can I get seed heat mats around here. I am assuming a reptile mat wouldn't work and also who can give me the soil recipe for plummies. I saw a post from laura and she is in va beach kinda close, so laura where do you get supplies other then ordering online. I am in the northeast corner of maryland if that's any help. You all are so knowledgeable and I am so much a rookie. Thanks for your help in advance

Jackie

Comments (11)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hey Jackie,

You can usually find Seed heat mats from the big box stores, especailly noww with all of the seeds annd spring things in stock. You can always look up your local Hydroponic store and they have them there as well. If that doenst work, you can always go on ebay and find them there.

Jackie, let me know the closest city you are near. Do you want to find Turface and Granigrit for the gritty mix? or are you just looking for a basic mix? If you want the Gritty Mix tht i like to use, i will be more than happy to help you find it here. If you have a ahard time locating them ns you need some now to pot up. I can send you some while you find your suppliers. We just need a city close to help you!!

Glad you are here and i am glad you love Plumeria!!!

We try and help...i dont know about me being knowledgeable... i just try and learn from others and hopefully help someone else along the way!!!

Def not an expert here... : ) But i have fun learning as we go!!!

We will help you as much as you need us!!!

Welcome!!!

Laura

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Jackie, for starting seeds you can just use a bagged sterile seed starter mix, like Miracle Gro, from any nursery or big box store. That will work very well for seeds as the light airy mix allows rapid new root growth.

Then when your seedlings are about two inches tall (or you get cuttings) you can make up Al's gritty mix for them.

• dpolson37
    11 years ago

Here is the heat mat I bought. It's even cheaper than what I paid for it.

Not very large, but you can buy in different sizes.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon Hydrofarm heat mat

• stormys_mom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for all the answers and the link for the heat mats! Laura I would like to find the ingredients for the gritty mix. I read a post you wrote and of course now I cant find it again. It refered to bark from petsmart and somethig else from a auto parts store. I live in the northeastern part of Maryland. We have home depot, lowes, lots of petsmart and autozone etc. Not really any garden centers. The closest one for me is an hour away, Valley View Farms in Timmonium md. I am however going to a garden center in Delaware tomorrow and I am soooooo excited. Its called Ronnies Garden world and they have tons of supplies there. Everything from plants to soil to fountains and pond buildig supplies. Cant wait. But I woud like the gritty mix recipe. I ordered plumie seeds and am waiting patiently. Well not really :) Just waiting. But the gritty mix is what I would like to try, once they sprout and are ready to be potted.

Thanks again
    Jackie

11 years ago

Hi Jackie,

The Gritty Mix consist of Pine BarkFines or Fir Bark
    Turface
    Gran-i-grit or Cherrystone #2

Here is a link that will provide the information that will help you.

I will be more than happy to help you find the ingredients that you need. Southern States usually sells Gran-i-grit (growers size) and some stores carry Turface as well

Napa Auto Stores carry a product Floor dry #8822 that can be a substitute for Turface.

Gran-i-grit (growers size) or Cherrystone#2 at some feed and seed stores. i would also call Tractor Supply Stores too. Give these stores a call before you drive everywhere looking for the ingredients because it can be a challenge finding these items sometimes. You mentioned about the Fir Bark that i use. You are correct, i buy ZooMed Repite Bark at Petsmart. I also screen it to use the smaller 1/4 inche or smaller that is used for the gritty mix. Some places carry small Pine Bark Fines, but i have a hard time finding what i need.

I will send you a link that AL wrote for us all to understand how the works and why. I really enjoy using Al's Gritty Mix. Some like what they use, some like this Mix. I found this mix when i was looking for another recipe that i could only find out West. The cost to have these products sent to me was way to much. so i started reading other post and found Al's post on his Gritty Mix. I really like this type of mix and i hope you will enjoy it as well.

Please send me your address so i can at least help you with a bag of this mix. The you can see how small the pieces are and then you can see it with your own eyes.. But i will leave that up to you if you would like for me to send a sample.

Sorry that i havent been around..My son graduated from Virginia Tech this weekend, so we have been very busy!! GO HOKIES!!! :)

I hope this helps...send me an email if you need more info Jackie!!! I amm so excited for you too!

Take care,

Laura

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Soils and Your Pants Nutrition

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Laura, what a nice way to celebrate Mothers' Day! Congratulations!

• stormys_mom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Laura, I sent you an email. Congrats on the graduate!! I bet your so proud. I agree what a wonderful mothers day!!

Jackie

11 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Thanks Jen and Jackie.. I am very proud of my son!!

We had a wonderful time at Virginia Tech!!!

Jackie..

Sent off your pkg today!!! : )

Ill check right now about places to fine Turface for you!!

Have a great day!!

Laura

11 years ago

Jackie,

I called Southern States in Jarettsville. The nice lady refferred me to the "Mill" next door. I called them (410-692-2200) and spoke to a lady named Brittnay. They carry Gran-i-grit (Growers size) That is what you want. Remember to ask for Growers size...They sell it by the pound and also you could by the 50 lb bag for 9$ (great deal!!)

I found Turface at John Deere Landscapes in Abington, MD. I think this is the closest to you. You want the "Allsport Turface"

410-679-0701
    John Deere Landscaping
    1304 Govenors Ct.
    Abington, MD

They carry the Turface in 50 lb bags for 11.50 (great deal!!)

Good Luck!!!

Laura

• stormys_mom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Laura,
    Thank you sooooooo much. I will go to both this weekend! I am so excited. I know where the Mill is. John Deere landscaping not so much, but I will find it. I have a general idea where it is. I am so excited to see this gritty mix. And cant wait to get started. Can you believe I am excited about soil? lol I think I may be starting an addiction already.

Thanks again

Jackie

11 years ago

Hi Jackie,

You are more than welcome!!! So glad to help you!!!

Remember when you sift the Turface from the larger pieces, some collect the little pieces and collect them to start seed in..It works great. I use a sink strainer to use to get rid of the finer particiles in the Turface and Granite.

Let me know if you have any questions!!!

Take care,

Oh...it is normall to get excited about soils and such...it shows us that you will fit right in with this group!!! Whhhoo Hoooo! : )

Goodnight,

Laura