Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Fuzzy's Red Rose

Well it's time for me to get off eBay!

I've bid on Fuzzy's plumerias (bloomingplumerias) several times and always get out bid (normally at the very last moment) so last Friday I decided to get crazy and bid on 5 trees. I ended up winning 3!!!
My partner is going to flip out when they come in the mail.

I got Duke, Kimi Moragne and Fuzzy's Red Rose.

Does anyone have Fuzzy's Red Rose? He says the fragrance is like sambac jasmine (pikake) and roses.
I love the red flowers. Hoping it smells good too. :)

Thank you,
Robert

Comments (16)

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

I've gotten a few the past month from Fuzzy...I won Donald Angus yesterday and was outbid on four others... I hate paying shipping on just one plant. I didnt bid on any of yours though. Congrats!

• Kimo
    10 years ago

If you Email Fuzzy directly or via Ebay you can ask if he will sell to you directly, thus avoiding the Ebay game and getting the plant at a reasonable price.
    Cheers

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks disneyhorse and freak4plumeria!

I probably should have just emailed him directly but I now have 15 plumies. Pretty sure that's enough. Laugh.

Hope you enjoy your Donald Angus, disneyhorse! :)

-Robert

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

That's a good idea. I just sent an email to see if I can throw in a couple more to the order. Only 15? I'm up to 15 and then about 40 seedlings so far... Going to have to sell or give some away soon at this rate...

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Robert, I came thisclose to bidding on that one! But I didn't, so I'm very glad you're getting it. Hope it turns out to be a winner for you! Keep us posted.

I was given a great Rose Red cutting at our last plumeria meet-up and hope I can root it. This is the Mexican variety (I think), but it really looks a lot like Fuzzy's.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Ha! I just confessed my blunder to my partner. He might as well start yelling at me now instead of being completely clueless and yelling at me over the phone when they come in the mail. :)

Jen,

I hope yours roots and smells good!
    I love red and of course if it does smell like jasmines and roses I have to have it, right? ;)

-Robert

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Robert !!

I bought one from Fuzzy last year and still no inflo ;-(

Hopefully , one day....

Take care,

Laura

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Laura!

Thanks for the info. Mine should have 3 tips (unless some get broken during the trip) so hopefully it won't take too long to gets blooms?

Looking forward to someday sniffing Kimi Moragne as well.
    I still remember you going out with your flashlight at night just to give me a scent report. ;)

-Robert

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Anytime, Robert ! ;-)

Laura

PS. I always have my flashlight handy... All you have to do is ask!!!

Inflo report... Hong Kong, Kapalua , University of Hawaii Orange, Thornton Lemon Drop, Samarie, Divine, Royal Hawaiian... Charging those batteries!!! ;-)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Awesome! Congrats!

I expect pics and scent reports when you get blooms. :)

-Robert

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

Robert - I love Duke and hope you will too! Good score! Hope you didn't get in too much trouble. ;)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Moonie! He actually took it fairly well...just said he was speechless. Laugh.

So do you love Duke for his color or fragrance or both or what?
    I've read the scent increases after being picked which I thought would be a nice change. :)

-Robert

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

Robert - I love Duke for color -and- fragrance! It's true what you read about the scent getting stronger after the flower is picked. Not only is it true, but the scent stays with the flower even when it's beginning to get all brown and crunchy. And yes, I have been known to sniff brown crunchiness! LOL

Original Author
    10 years ago

Yay! I too sniff browning blooms. ;)

-Robert

• Kenny
    10 years ago

Robert,

You only have 15 plumies??? You and Mike make me feel like a really bad addict. Need to quadruple your collection soon so I don't look like the odd one out lol

I bought Duke from Fuzzy back in March, it should be blooming soon if I can get these darn thrips off my inflos. They're responsible for a lot of my inflos aborted prematurely. So far I've tried everything and none seems to work, I guess I have to be more aggressive with my thrips prevention treatment. Do you guys have thrips problem up there? I'll post pics when my Duke blooms

Kenny

Original Author
    10 years ago

Only 15 plumies...that's not counting all the jasmines, passifloras, brunfelsias and countless other fragrants I have in pots. Laugh.

Hmm...interesting that you brought up thrips. When do your buds abort? Or does the whole inflo drop off due to them? My Dwarf Deciduous White keeps dropping buds even before they open. It's been maddening. Never thought about thrips...though I guess I'd have to get out a magnifying glass and unfurl/cut the buds to find the little suckers.

Last year I printed off a recipe for Al's thrip spray courtesy of Laura that you might want to try. Don't know if you've tried it or not. :)

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Thrip spray recipe