Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sflgplume

The good, the bad, and the ugly...

sflgplume
11 years ago

Happy Saturday, all,

As the title of my post suggests, I've got a little bit of everything to share with y'all today. First, some good :) My Kelly Moragne inflo is now fully developed and absolutely gorgeous...even my "eye-roller" had to admit it ;)

By the way, as a child of the 80s, I have been a Beastie Boys fanatic for most of my life, and Adam Yauch's sad passing yesterday leaves me feeling like I've lost a friend...so that one above is in his memory. RIP MCA.

So, also from the Terrace of Too Many Plumerias, my Kona Candy is starting to bloom. Whoever named it got it exactly right--doesn't this unopened bloom look like a confection? Like it's made of sugar? I think so:

I'll post another photo of KC when the inflo gets going, but that flower went on to open yesterday while I was at work:

The colors are amazing! Just like cotton candy.

Meanwhile, downstairs on the dock, we have the bad and the ugly...

Sigh. It became apparent to me over the course of the past week that, in addition to my iguana problem, the dockside trees were infested with a tiny black insect that leaves little specks of poo behind. I'm guessing it's thrips, but who knows? It can be so hard to tell. Most of the plants have malformed leaves, which I've read can be a sign of thrips damage.

Whatever it is has left my magnificent Haleakala inflo completely devoid of flowers. It's sad--it looks like an abandoned skyscraper:

And, insult to injury, notice the adult spiraling whitefly laying its eggs on the underside of the one leaf...yeah, thanks for that, SUCKAH. The only happy note in this picture is that the tree already popped a new inflo, which you can see behind the first one. I have high hopes for it!

On the iguana warfront, the news isn't much better. After reading that iguanas don't like the taste of neem, I sprayed them good. That didn't seem to work, so four days later I sprayed the underside of the leaves with garlic-serrano spray, but I must have burned the leaves, because as of today the trees are dropping their leaves like flies:

There may be a bit of good news here. There seem to be a lot of half-eaten leaves, as though the iguanas started eating them, but then (muahahahahahaha) their mouths started burning:

Lastly, although my trees are enduring regular iguana abuse, they are tenaciously holding on to their inflos. Let's hope that these inflos don't end up like my sad Haleakala. Here's Lilikoi (the tip on the right is now deformed from multiple occurrences of iguana attack):

The Lilikoi's new growth is badly malformed from the thrips or whatever the hell it is that's eating it. Here's Julie Moragne, also with a bunch of half-eaten leaves:

Well, to borrow from Garrison Keillor, that's the news from Lake Iguana-Thrips, where all the trees look like crap...LOL

Enjoy your weekend, everyone--I hope we all have lots of sun and warmth.

Greg

Comments (42)

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Greg,

Love your sense of humor. What a mess you have on your hands! It's like watching a daytime soap on TV to read this story.

I wonder, maybe you can get one of this specialty trained German Shephards to keep watch on the docks, a trained iguana hunter, lol.

Good luck and hang in there.

Wendy

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Oh, Greg, we would get on like a house on fire! I'm also a big Beastie Boys fan and was very sad to hear the news.

Also sad to see the leaves fall off from the spray! Was it just on the one plumie or did all of them lose some leaves? I hope the iguanas got the message from the half leaves they ate.

DARN IT! I DO need to get Kelly Moragne! Gorgeous!

• animalcraker
    11 years ago

Aww your poor babies. I love the yellow pots that you have on the dock. Where did you get them?

~Jen

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hey Greg,

Beautiful pictures as always!!! soooo beautiful..

I hope those critters still have heartburn!! ;)

Thanks for posting the pics....

Glad the "eye roller" likes the blooms.... That always helps.. LOL..

Have a great evening.

Laura

• sflgplume
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey all,

Well, yesterday I went out in the afternoon for a few hours and came home to find my 3-tip Veracruz Rose was now a 2-tip :( I'm so discouraged. The one limb had been broken off right at the junction...this confirms that the iguanas can just climb right up the trees themselves. I'm so weary of all this.

But thanks, all, for the compliments/suggestions/laughs.

Wendy, you're not the first to suggest that--one would NEED a German shepherd to tangle with these things...they're huge.

Jandey Jen: I have thought the same many times in the past :) I'm sure the B-Boys and plumerias are not the only things we have in common. In answer to your question, all of the trees had at least some leaves yellow and fall off, but a few, like Haleakala, had most fall off. I tried to do just the undersides with the chile spray, but that's hard to do.

And, good luck finding a KM! If you can't locate a cutting, talk to me in a few years ;)

Animalcracker Jen: Thanks! The pots are concrete urns, like the kind Home Depot sells, painted yellow. They've been on the property for probably 20 years, so they do last.

Laura: I too hope that they have heartburn! Really BAD heartburn! But if they eat plumeria leaves in the first place, they probably don't know what heartburn is.

The bottom line is that I don't think I can put anything on the leaves to keep the iggies from eating them...some kind of extermination is the only option, I think...

Greg

• labland
    11 years ago

Greg,

I don't know if it would work,not having an iquana problem in So. Cal! But I know people wrap tin around the trunks of trees and palms to discourage squirrels and rats (they do it in Hawaii too). Would that work? I kind of doubt it becuase of the size and length of the critters! Barbed wire? :-)

Paradise does have its down side! Keep up with the good humor! I am happy to see blossoms, as mine are deceloing many many inflos, but still have a couple of weeks before I see any color!

Jennifer in La Verne aka the labrador retriever nut!

• sflgplume
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jennifer,

Thanks--you've actually given me a few more options to consider.

This morning I caught another iguana munching, and it was sitting in the pot, on top of the gritty mix, on its hind legs. So you're right that the small size of my trees plus the length of the iggies equals tin wouldn't work...but perhaps I could modify this idea somehow...I'm going to think about it.

Barbed wire is not a bad idea either! They have really spiny, thick skin, though--anyone out there have an idea whether something like that could repel an iguana due to the sharpness?

Jennifer, can't wait to see your photos. Thanks again.

Greg

• nativec
    11 years ago

Greg,

I was glued to your story and subsequent follows ups...I laughed and then felt horrible reading about the further iguana destruction.

I wonder about trapping? I know here in So. Cal we can rent traps from the local animal shelter to capture naughty critters(except here its skunks, rabbits and such) On a very bright note your Kona Candy bloom is gorgeous!! It made me thankful that I added it to my collection:) I bet my "eye roller" will love it too! Yes, I have an "ER"...LOL

I continue to send up happy thoughts of iguana destruction to the Plumie Gods so that your trees can be restored!

P.S. a very nice tribute to the loss of one of the Beastie Boys :(

• peeweelovesorchids
    11 years ago

Your plumerias are gorgeous!

Have you ever thought of trying a cinnamon oil wash for your leaves? I clean my orchids with a combination of cinnamon oil and dawn dish soap. Not only does this resolve the problem of critters, but it prevents said critters from chewing on leaves.

Maybe that's a solution.

M.

• pcput
    11 years ago

Oh Greg !! More bad news. I'm so sorry for your beautiful plants. What happened with the vicks and moth balls? I thought the smell would work. I even asked a reptile suppier if they could think of anything. They suggested growing other plants. They just don't understand :( Peg

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Greg, I've also been following the horror story of iguana VS. plumie. I'm so sorry they're doing this to your plants!

I read a little about this and Greg, I'm sure you already know, but here's what people and plumies are up against - due to the popular reptile / exotic animal hobby in Florida, many (most) of these iguanas are not native to the area. A huge population of these are pets people couldn't handle or didn't want anymore that got released and then reproduced like crazy. THEY ARE PROTECTED BY THE STATE OF FLORIDA. You are not *LEGALLY* allowed to kill them. If you trap them you cannot *LEGALLY* release them ANYWHERE. You are supposed to spend $$$ having them trapped / removed / humanely euthanized. The risk in that is that most likely there are a ton more iguanas waiting to take their place.

They are territorial and destructive, to put it mildly, wreaking havoc on things like sea walls, retaining walls, etc. and as an added bonus their feces carries bacteria like salmonella, and more. Oh, and they like to crap in the water as well as on land, so water can be contaminated too.

Greg, unfortunately I think you have to go outlaw! LOL! Or vertical like someone suggested earlier. I'm thinking tall, tall pots that will allow you to put the metal band around them. Again, I'm so sorry you're dealing with this, keep us posted!

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Ugh! Okay, clearly now that they know they can eat the leaves I don't think anything is going to work as a repellent. Same as the deer here; once they learn to eat something they will ALWAYS eat it. Btw, woke to find my only plumie out front had most of its leaves eaten off in the night by the $%#&@ deer!

Anyhoo, I think nativec is right: trapping is going to be your best bet. You've invested too much in those gorgeous plants to not at least ask the question of a pro pest control company. They're most likely the same few iguanas that keep coming back for an easy meal.

We're all pulling for you, Greg!

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Oh NO Jen!!! I'm SO sorry to hear that. BOOOOOOO!

I thought plumies were poisonous, not delicious!!!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I almost think you need to make a tacitical withdrawl from the waterfront until you can come up with new protective methods. Since we are talking The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly...its officially the best spagetti western ever produced.

"when its time to shoot, shoot...don't talk." -Tuco(the ugly)

• irun5k
    11 years ago

Greg, I think Jen is probably right- I bet you have a few living around there and it is the same ones over and over. They will, however, breed and the problem will get worse over time.

You might try someone who specializes in removing these. For example, these guys are in Boca but I'm sure you can find someone in your exact neck of the woods:
    boca raton iguana removal

• sflgplume
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey all,

You all are so nice! There is obviously something special about people who love these flowers...

Anyway, it's crunch time at work right now, and I don't have much time-- will update and respond more later. Fortunately, I've been able to work from home for the last few days, and so I've set up a watch-and-work station and have chased the iggies away when they appear by shaking a broom at them! LOL call me Old Mother Hubbard.

Today was a very stormy day here. We had a pair of thunderstorms move through--it didn't clear up, really, between them, but the sun peeked through the clouds for about 10 minutes in the mid-afternoon. I thought the light was interesting, and so I ran and got my camera.

Here's Teresa W, starting to show its summer color:

Here's Kona Candy. These petals were in the middle of ROLLING open. I have to say, I'm in love with this bloom:

Finally, another of Kelly M, glistening in the sun for a moment:

More soon. Hope you like these photos!

Greg

• nativec
    11 years ago

Dying a slow death here in CA! LOL I love those blooms!! Torture! Torture! My trees are barely waking up :( Guess I'm stuck living vicariously through everyone else's blooms.

Thank you for sharing these!

• sflgplume
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey all,

Update: no more major damage--minor victory! It's been a very rainy week down here, and iggies apparently aren't fond of the rain. When they have come out, I chased 'em away with the broom...and so I think harassment works, to an extent. I can't work from home ALL the time, though...

M- your suggestion is interesting, because I went to Home Depot last weekend and found only one product whose label said it would repel iguanas...the listed "active ingredient" was cinnamon oil...and the price tag: $17!!! LOL (are they KIDDING?)

I didn't buy it, but mixed a good tbls of cinnamon in with my serrano-garlic spray last weekend, which, sadly, didn't work. Nor did moth balls and VapoRub, Peg.

So, I've pretty much given up on trying to "flavor" the leaves to keep them from eating them...when you're as ugly as they are, I guess you'll eat anything...

And speaking of eating, Brian, to your point--a few months ago I brought my cereal out on the terrace, which overlooks the dock, to eat my breakfast...this was when the trees were dormant...and as I chomped on my cereal, I glanced out at the dock...and there was a pair of them MATING...omg...needless to say, breakfast was over at that point LOL. It was probably the vilest thing I've ever seen (my stomach just clenched again remembering it).

Elucas, you're right--they're a total nuisance. They destroy landscaping, seawalls; they drop salmonella poop bombs everywhere (if they ever poop in our pool, that's the day they'll hafta cart me off), they multiply like rabbits. They also are kinda scary--the ones that hang out here are BIG and look at you like they're thinkin' about attack instead of retreat. I HATE them. The only thing you mentioned that I wonder about: from what I understand, it's only illegal to kill them if one does so inhumanely.

Several years ago all of the owners in my building agreed we'd use trappers. They were very expensive, and after they took our money and promised that we were rid of them...within days, we were seeing them again. It's just a miserable situation.

So, outlaw, you say? I think you may be right, elucas...let's just say that some plans have been made behind closed doors over the last few days...

Anyway, happy weekend, all. Kona Candy's blooming strong--it's a beauty:

Coming soon: Tropical Dream, Sally Moragne, Cal Sunset.

Greg

• irun5k
    11 years ago

Greg, hypothetically speaking, a solid air rifle is very effective especially if equipped with a scope. Recommend aiming for the leathery head and I think you'll find they drop very quickly. Just speaking hypothetically, of course.

I think the iguana intercourse that you witnessed would have scarred me for life. I am sorry you had to see that. I saw a couple babies for sale today at the flea market- to each his own I guess, but I can't imagine having one of those as a "pet." It sounds like a lot of people change their minds after a couple of years and release them outdoors which is highly irresponsible.

• sflgplume
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Brian-

As a good friend of mine would say, I'm (hypothetically) smelling what you're (hypothetically) cooking... Yeah, it's not my idea of a pet, either. I am a true animal lover, but I can't muster any feelings of warmth towards an iguana--especially when they're destroying my plumeria.

And, you're exactly right as to idiots who think they'll be great pets, then think otherwise, and then release them...I was talking to an old-timer in my neighborhood the other day, and apparently, those who have been here for a long time know exactly who is responsible for our problem locally. I should send him a thank-you package with some of the iguana poo from our dock LOL thanks a lot, bud.

G

• peeweelovesorchids
    11 years ago

Greg,

I buy cinnamon oil only, and mix 1-2 tablespoons of that with Dawn Dishsoap. That makes about 24oz of mixture (in a spray bottle) I use it to clean and disinfect my orchids whenever I'm dividing/repotting, etc. I've yet to meet something that likes the flavor. I've been using this for 5 years and have yet to have any critter attack my orchids. I use it on other plants...and the cinnamon oil seems to dissolve insects. Sort of sick but fascinating to watch--especially on slugs.

good luck with the iguanas....in my country..people eat them. Although I have to say I was spared the disgust of doing that....

11 years ago

OMG...You have all of this happening and then you have the unexpected pleasure (NOT) of watching them mate!! YIKES!!!

Greg, I think you and your other friends are being challenged by these "beast" I like what Brian had to say... He has some good ideas!!

I also like peewee ideas.. I have slug issues and i am contantly pulling those nasty things off of my new growth. When i am on "patrol..." I noticed them on almost every tree at night. They are nasty critters, but not as nasty as the ones that you have to deal with.. UGGG!!! Please keep us updated aout the trees...

I cant wait to see new pics of your blooms!!!

Take care Greg!!!

Laura

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Ack! Eye bleach! Just seeing photos of the ugly creatures on the removal guy's site was bad enough, I think if I had to witness mating I'd just move...to another state!

Yep, after reading that post, Greg, two words came to mind: 1. Guns. 2. Ammo.

They really do make my deer/squirrel/rabbit/caterpillar problem seem pretty mundane. Good luck to you, friend.

• sflgplume
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This morning is the last straw--a little while ago I found my Julie M torn up and bleeding sap. The inflo is still intact, but after they did the same thing to Lilikoi, that tree basically dropped its inflo. I suspect they also give the plant cooties of some sort, because they just don't recover normally.

Peewee- thanks for the clarification and I am going to pick up some of that oil as a preventative in the future.

But these beeatches need to go. Thank you all for your support. I know you all understand my pain! Laura, good luck w/ the slugs! Maybe cinnamon oil will work for them.

It's time to do what I gotta do.

Have a great week!

G

• Woman_of_Paradise
    11 years ago

I can't imagine having to protect my plumerias from iguanas- we've got deer where I live, so I don't leave my plumerias outside overnight. Mostly they just live indoors- where the only critter determined to eat them is my pet rabbit. She's only snatched a couple bites in the lifetime of the plant, but when she does I worry for both the plant & my rabbit. I had also heard a rumor that they might be poisionous!

• irun5k
    11 years ago

All I can say is you are lucky... any missed shots will just end up on the deck or in the water. I wish I lived closer to south FL, I would definitely lend a hand.

Someone chewed up all the mangos on my tree in my front yard this year. However I don't dare fire off any rounds because if I miss it would go through a window or a door across the street (and I happen to like that particular neighbor.) For whatever reason another neighbor feeds the squirrels peanuts, so they have no interest in going away.

Look forward to hearing that your problems have been resolved...

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Greg,
    What about a paintball gun or an Airsoft? They shoot multiple rounds at about 3-400 feet per second so its enough to sting and drive off but not kill. Probably a $100 investment at a sporting goods store and you would not get into trouble with FL FWC since its not a firearm (assumption but probably a fair statement).

Personally I would use the paintball between the two. Its a heavier round and bursts on impact so a near miss will have a scare effect but i think an airsoft is half the price.

• elucas101
    11 years ago

I wonder if Spinosad would kill them since it affects most when ingested? I know it says supposedly very low impact on mammals and birds but doesn't say much about reptiles?

I'm not entirely sure if I'm being cruel or not? LOL! If so please pretend this statement never happened.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Emily, at this point I don't think ANY of us could think of something more terrible than Greg has already contemplated!

WoP, your rabbit may experience some, uh, purgative effects from the plumeria latex. Not a good thing to eat, but probably won't kill it.

K, your Mad Max streak is showing.

Brian, I have the same problem with my persimmons, tomatoes, and, well, any fruit really. I found that putting small paper bags over each piece of fruit well before they ripen is enough to deter any critter around here. I tighten the open end of the bag around the fruit's stem and tie a twist-tie on it and they stay on through rainstorms and wind. Looks awful, but at least I get some unscathed fruit.

• joanr
    11 years ago

Greg,

Saw this and thought maybe you can try it:

An email came in September 29, 2010 from Ruby in Florida. Ruby says "I get rid of Iguanas easily. I play hummingbird sounds from my iPod where they are munching and POOF, they take a powder and do not come back. If others come, I play the sounds and they go away fast. The reason this works is eagles and hawks are natural predators of Iguana. Hummingbird singing is the iguana's alert signal that hawks are close by. WORKS FOR ME."

Might be worth a try but not sure where you can record hummingbird sounds. Or maybe you can get a few HAWKS!!!

Joan

11 years ago

Greg,

I like the idea of Airsoft. We have a few things around the yard that my son with give a little tap when using the Airsoft on... We also have used a Pellet Gun on certain things that need a tap to get their attention. Might give that a thought... It does work well. Doesn't kill, just gives them something to think about...

If you decide to use other methods... I would understand. You have tried everything to get rid of these pest. I think you have been very patient.

I think you deserve to have your trees and not let them take over your living space...

Just my thoughts..

Take care,

Laura

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I was also going to recommend using a motion sensor sprinkler but that may inadvertently hose people walking along the dock. How about a device that produces hawk sounds?

Sheet metal and (toy) guns. How much fun will this be. they are pretty fast when startled so get within about 50 ft then put one airsoft round on target and a few more in quick succession about one body length in the direction they will most likely try to escape and those oversized lizards will think twice about it.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Greg, I gotta say that even if you can't, ahem, eliminate your pests, shooting at them with a paint gun will sure make you feel a lot better!

I can't believe I forgot to ask you: how does Kelly Moragne smell?

• sflgplume
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone-

Sorry, the last few days have been nuts...

You all are too kind. Jen, to your question first: Kelly Moragne has a strong frangipani smell. It's absolutely gorgeous.

With respect to my "pest" problem:
    Here's the deal, as I see it, at least... I have been using intimidation to keep the iggies away. I have chased them with a broom every day for weeks, except for the last few, during which time I haven't seen them at all. That's great, and would lead me to believe that the tactic is working...

But it's not. Over the past two days my Hawaiian Coral and Lava Flow have sustained horrible damage: leaves picked clean, tips mangled. They seem to have figured out that when they move in for a meal, to do so quickly and then make a quick retreat. I'm making a quick trip out of town this weekend for a wedding, and I'll be worried sick about the trees the entire time.

Perhaps the pain associated with Airsoft or paintball shots would have a more lasting effect; but in the end, I think a quiet, discreet air rifle is a better solution. When I look at my HC and LF, I turn stone-cold on the inside--it is absolutely infuriating...especially when there's a steamy pile of iggy-poo (a salmonella pie, if you will) on the dock next to the urn.

Not a fun topic, for sure, so to cheer myself up:

I LOVE PLUMERIAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

Greg

• nativec
    11 years ago

I'm going to repeat myself and say, Oh, the Kona Candy is gorgeous! Mine is pushing up an inflo but given the less than ideal temps here I may not have blooms to show off until say, um December! :)

Here is a morbid thought regarding your iguana problem. Huge rat traps! LOL you could hang from the pots and bait with plumie leaves.... :). On second thought nevermind, I just had visions of huge iguanas running around missing limbs and with rat traps stuck to them. Well I bet they couldnt climb your trees so easily then! LOL. Okay...lizard belts! Just sayin'

Thank you for sharing your blooms! I'll try to contain my envy!

Nicole

• jandey1
    11 years ago

NOOOOO! Not the Hawaiian Coral!! Those ^%@*s! Dude, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Thanks for the fragrance info, Greg. Now I HAVE to have it. And btw, that's the prettiest pic of Kona Candy I've ever seen. Gorgeous! I can't get over what great inflos you're getting on such young plants!

Have a fabulous time at the wedding!

• pcput
    11 years ago

Greg, send me an email as I have a product I'd like to send you to try. Peg

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

I would try to set up some kind of electric fence.

• sflgplume
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Peg- you're too sweet. I will do so before bed tonight.

Dave- personally I don't know much about electric fences (I mean, I get the general principle and all, but beyond that I'm entirely uninformed), but I googled "iguana" and "electric fence" and found that others have used them for that purpose. As far as I can tell, those who have report mixed results. It seems like a good idea if it could be done fairly cheaply (apparently, the condo association is low on funds right now). It's now on my research list-- thanks.

There's this fellow up the coast about 40-50 miles from me, somewhere in Palm Beach Co., I believe--he has a website on which he talks about his trials and tribulations with iguana infestation on his property. Evidently, the iguanas scoffed at HIS electric fence...anyway, he now advocates this control method (which gets a huge OMG from me!):

He sets up snares where they travel regularly, and when they ensnare themselves, he removes them from the snare with his bare hands, and then throws them in an old freezer!!! (He says that FL authorities have confirmed to him that freezing is considered humane.)

I take no position on that last statement, but, I could just never ever do what he does. Call me a wuss, and I will accept the label LOL...I COULD NOT DO IT. Iguanas give me the heebie-jeebies!!!!

At any rate, I know that this thread is probably making you all pretty weary. I understand--who wants to read depressing news (and there's more, but I'm sparing you all)? So, I'll stop, I think. I do want to say that there are more kind suggestions in this thread than I've been able to acknowledge or reply to, and I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and ideas. What is very clear to me now is that I will probably never solve this problem completely...but I'll keep trying, and when I find an effective solution--whenever that might be--I'll update everyone.

Take care, and may your backyards stay iguana-free.

Greg

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

So here's what I am wondering, what does this guy do with a freezer full of iguana? Stew? UGH! That's right up there with reptile fornication.

I shudder every time I see this thread light up, hoping you haven't suffered another loss. Can't you just put out something more tantalizing in the yard next door??? I'd hate for more to arrive, but maybe if we consider 'training' them that better food is to be found elsewhere, maybe its worth it?

Gotta say, I'm so curious about Peg's suggestion, I hope it is the winner!

Good luck!
    Wendy

11 years ago

Hey Greg,

I can't even imagine what has happened now to your trees.. I can tell they did something else tho.. I hope they didn't really destroy any more of your beauties..

This guy really takes them with his hands and puts them in the freezer? You get another "OMG" from me...

There has to be a solution to this mess...

I would love to put on my "NRA" hat and come down and visit you for a while.. : )

Wendy has a great suggestion... feed them something else and then keep taking the food farther away...

Hopefully Peg has an idea!!

I am so sorry Greg, I know this is so frustrating. Please keep us updated. We all are truly sad about the damage of all of your trees...

Laura

• pcput
    11 years ago

ok! ok! I see I've got your curiosity up. I use to work for a large wholesaler of bird supplies. We sold a product called "better bitters" that was used to keep birds from plucking feathers. It is 100 times more bitter than "bitter apple" used on dogs. Birds don't have saliva so eating things that are hot doesn't bother them and than is why it is so much more bitter or it wouldn't work. Since I've done volunteer work at the local zoo (11 years) and did work some with the reptiles there I think it has a chance of working. I wouldn't want Greg to go out and buy it to see if it worked and waste the money if it didn't. I did have lots of birds and had to get rid of the last of them 3 years ago when they found I had asthma. I still have lots of things around here for the birds and found a bottle of the BB so want to send it to Greg to try. If it works he can buy more. If not nothing lost but a little time. So Greg I need your addy so can send it down for you to try. Got my fingers crossed. There has to be a way to stop them and save the plants. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Peg

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz