Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desamecyra

Does anyone know where I might find Makaha Sunn

desamecyra
10 years ago

Hi. Does anyone know where I might find this fragrant, and lovely cultivar? I'm hoping to find a rooted cutting. Someone mentioned FC had it, but I looked there, (twice), and didn't see it. My budget limit is $45.00, before shipping + tax, and I'd rather not look on Ebay for it. Thank you all so much...!

Comments (49)

• rox146
    10 years ago

I believe Makaha Sunn is AKA Inferno....try Derrick at Piece of Paradise? roxanne

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

I got mine on Ebay and I know I paid twice your budget and she's tiny! Barely grew last summer... but finally she's waking up. So I'm hoping she'll grow more this year and maybe I'll get flowers next year.

Good luck finding yours!

• plumygirl
    10 years ago

Hi,

I have one Makaha Sunn, 12" single that is putting out a very nice set of roots. It is a real fatty and had already bloomed before I cut it back in November. $ 32 with $ 7.50 shipping. Please let me know if you are interested.

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

Well I'll take it plumygirl!

• plumygirl
    10 years ago

You should be receiving a private mail just about now. Please let me know if you don't receive it!

• ShellysPlumies
    10 years ago

Plumy girl I would also be interested in a cutting as well. Is there any more ?

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

I got your email but not forum message. Please just email I guess?

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Matt aka 1stopaloha on Ebay has a rooted Makaha S for sale but its already over 70.00 Here is a link to the auction and his store.

Here is a link that might be useful: M Sunset Matt

• plumygirl
    10 years ago

Hi Shellys Plumies

Re: Makaha Sunn:

Have not heard back from the first member who had said he wanted it so if I still don't hear from him tomorrow, would you be interested in the rooted Makaha @ $ 39 (same as I quoted earlier)?

• plumygirl
    10 years ago

Disneyhorse,

Just sent you a private mail regarding Makaha Sunn. Hope you receive it ;))

• tdogdad
    10 years ago

It was a cultivar brought to the market by Jim Little via Bud Guillot. Because of the great number of failures and / or how easily it gets black tip, Bud wishes he did not bring this plant out. Mine started healthy but went through several black tip bouts and is now a fairly weak but still alive plant. Be aware, that this is a very difficult plant in temperate climates. Just a heads up.

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Oh wow Bill no wonder mine is so slow to wake. Two tips but hardly grew at all in a year! No black tip here bc I took her inside which only about a handful of my young plants such as Mettalica, G Viola, etc get babied. At this rate not sure I will ever see her bloom. :(

• ShellysPlumies
    10 years ago

Hi Plumy girl I would be interested in a rooted cutting for that price. My email address is Michellecoronado47@yahoo.com

I have a cutting of makaha sunn but I'm afraid it's going to be hard to root. So I'd rather buy it already rooted just in case ;) do you have any pictures of the bloom ?

• desamecyra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Plumygirl, I just saw these posts and am very much interested, but have arrived late to this post...is you MS cutting still available? (And -thank you!)
    Cyra

• desamecyra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Plumygirl...I didn't receive a mail from you....maybe I'm not set up properly for notifications, am trying to sort it out. Notice Disney has responded in the meanwhile, so if you two are engaging in the sale of your Makaha Sunn, I'll do the polite thing, and say "thank you" for the offer..and bow out:( If Disneyhorse 's transaction doesn't go through, please remember me? TY

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

Hey you asked first... Go for it if you want, I haven't paid yet!!!

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Bud's comments are very interesting; it explains why we see so few photos of them, or plants for sale. I have two grafted Makaha Sunns and they have grown very quickly here in Texas, but mine are thin and tall so far. I may just be lucky and be in a decent climate range for them.

I was told by a PSA member that they will do much better as grafts and my experience has been that my grafted plants have never blacktipped, so I was grateful for the advice. Good luck, whoever gets this plant from plumygirl!

• desamecyra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm glad GW has finally resolved their login issues, and I can finally access the site again. The timing on their login problems couldn't have been worse!!
    Plumygirl, who ended up with the Makaha Sunn? Or is it still available?
    I was so frustrated by my inability to log in for the last two days that I contacted GW.
    Here's their response :
    We are currently experiencing some issues with our authentication server,and it is resulting in login issues. Our tech team is currently working to resolve this problem and we anticipate that it will be resolved shortly ...(There's more, involving patience, and such, won't bore you) Also, there was a notice posted on the GW site's home page,which I hope you saw.

• desamecyra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Btw, thanks to both Fox and Dogdad for the helpful info; it's much appreciated!
    Cyra

• plumygirl
    10 years ago

Hi Guys,

I have MS tagged for the first member who requested it but she also indicated an interest in a couple of others. I'm waiting to hear back so right now MS is taken unless I hear differently. Future mail can be sent to: SeaSidePlumeria@cfl.rr.com Just makes things a bit easier.

Thanks to all who have expressed an interest in Makaha!

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    10 years ago

Oh, wow, I'm glad I read this post. Thanks Bill and jandey for the additional info. I always wanted a MS (it's beautiful and named after Rell!), but the prices from Matt were usually too high. With the info about black tip and general health, though, I'll just admire from afar!

• desamecyra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The matter is, or will be resolved. I think the ball is in Disneyhorses court; GWs tech -issues are hardly her fault.
    Cyra

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

Where do you live, Cyra? We could have joint custody.

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

Where do you live, Cyra? We could have joint custody.

• desamecyra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

North of you in CA 's Central valley. Actually, not a half bad idea. We could wait til there's. some appreciable branching happening,, and then dispense a sort of Solomon's justice?
    (Dibs on the top half...!)
    Just kidding, but beauty like that should be shared. I see no reason we couldn't work something out...put your mind to it and let me know what you come up with...just got in from work, and am brain fried, at the moment....but I'm game..:)-Cyra

• desamecyra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

North of you in CA 's Central valley. Actually, not a half bad idea. We could wait til there's. some appreciable branching happening,, and then dispense a sort of Solomon's justice?
    Just kidding, but beauty like that should be shared. I see no reason we couldn't work something out...put your mind to it and let me know what you come up with...just got in from work, and am brain fried, at the moment....but I'm game..:)-Cyra

• desamecyra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

I haven't had any issues with MS. It made it through the winter here just fine and was not among the 35 or so that I lost. I got it from Matt in 2011. It was a single tip. I believe it bloomed last summer when I was away or either it just branched. It's doing great, no signs of a bloom spike yet. It's not grafted and had plenty of nice roots when I planted it in Al's Gritty Mix in April.

I don't think it's a compact tree, it's now about 36 with 2 tips and it was only a single tip 12" in spring of 2011.

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

Well Cyra, when its a big tree send me a little piece!

• desamecyra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Like I wouldn't? But if you ever take a vacation from this forum, forward me an addy to send it to, ok?

• desamecyra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And, why are our posts appearing ..in multiples??

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

I think the forum is having issues...

• beachplant
    10 years ago

listed one vendor for the PSA sale this Saturday. It looks like it is Emerson who has it. I`ll ask him how it does here. If he has them I can always buzz up there and pick one up. I will find out prices.
    Tally HO!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

I got mine from Florida colors for $35 last year, and it bloomed beautiful. This year I put it in the soil, it has 3 tips all are dark almost black, but hard. No leaves yet, all my other plumeria are putting on leaves. I had the same thing happen with Leona Hoke, one tip I had to cut down, but the other black tip, never got soft, and then sprouted 5 new tips under the black area????? I am waiting to find out what this plant will do. I will let you know when I go down next week. Barbra

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

Barbra - is your MS grafted? And, while on the subject, I'm interested in a post you made earlier regarding a graft you got from FC recently. You were unhappy with the grafting job? Do you know who performed the graft?

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Yes Moonie, the graft I got from Florida Colors was horrible. I took a knife to it and trimmed it down gradually until it was in line with the root stock.. My thinking was that is was so horrible, that I didn't have anything to loose. But it worked, and I am happy. I don't know who is doing the grafting now, but if you are patient, you can correct it. I have to tell you that grafted plants do so much better than original plants here in Texas, my yard is living proof. Barbra

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Barb, Tex (Norwood) moved to Florida and is at Florida Colors now. I wonder if he is doing the grafting? I`ll ask tomorrow who is doing it.
    Tally HO!

• jandey1
    10 years ago

From what I saw, I think they're importing a lot of their grafts with dear Luc now gone. But, they're also selling a lot more rooted, too!

If anyone wants something, call Florida Colors first and see if you can get it rooted if that's what you want. Really great plumeria nursery run by wonderful people!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Everyone..

I have two Makaha Sunn. One was grafted by Luc two years ago and the other is not . They are both doing great and are very healthy... Don't want to jinx myself by saying it.. Wanted to share because this is a beautiful tree. I hope it will bloom sometime soon...

Good luck with yours....

Laura

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Laura, is yours Makaha Sunn putting on leaves? Last year my plant bloomed and was just great. Mine has 4 hugh tips, but just wasn't putting out any claws or leaves this year, the tips were almost black in appearance. Finally one tip started to get alittle soft, so I cut all 4 tips off. I think all this plant needs is more sun. Last year I had it in the middle of the bed, full sun all day long. This year I moved it so it would be the first plumeria you saw when you drove into my yard, it has a hardy hibiscus on one side on steroids. I am going to move it to full sun this week when I go down. I think both Makaha Sunn and Leona Hoke, just need to be in full sun all day long. This plant has beautiful blooms, it should be able to be grown it in Texas with no problem. I will let you know how this turns out. Barbra

10 years ago

Hi Barbra!

Mine is putting on leaves and is in full direct sun . I treat it just like all of the others and it seems to be fine. The only one I give limited light to is my Maya because it is variegated and doesn't like the full sun like the others.

I hope yours continues to gain strength because I know you had beautiful blooms last year... Do you have any pics of those blooms? Hopefully, the change in the garden will help it grow. You have such great temperatures in Texas.... Lucky!!!!

Please keep us posted!,,

Take good care and I hope your feeling better! ;-)

Laura

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Laura I planted the Makaha Sunn in front of that lime green shrub, so I know that is the correct bloom. In the picture it looks hot pink, but in actual life, it was more coral-neon orange. It was beautiful, these blooms were just starting to open. This year I have a new camera, I am just waiting to get down there this week, so I can take pictures. We are having the stranges weather this year. Strong winds, that change direction followed by heavy rain storms with hail. This has not been good for my plumeria blooms. Barbra

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Barbra,
    Your MS is to die for! I hope she recovers soon. Mine has two small tips and some small leaves but she barely grew an inch in a year! At this rate who knows when I will see any flowers. :(

10 years ago

Hi Barbra,

She sure is a beauty!!! So was Rell....

The pictures you have are gorgeous, but I know they are even more vivid in person. You are so lucky to even see blooms from this beauty! You have such great blooms from all of your trees! Thank you for posting this glorious picture of Makaha Sunn. I love mine and even if she takes another few years, it will be worth the wait. Same with Metallica... Some things are worth waiting for!!!

I hope you get to the coast soon with your camera ! ;-).

The weather seems to be acting up for everyone lately... We are having strong lines of rain and thunderstorms heading our way and I'm still working, so it will be fun in the air.. Argh!!! " Grab your seats... Squeeze your cheeks.." Sorry.. Had to do it!!! LMAO. !!! We always want to say that, but can't. Lol!!!

Please get some rest and I hope the hail, wind and rain are kind to you and your beautiful trees!!!

Take care, Barbra!!

Laura

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Just an update on my Makaha Sunn, I had cut back the 4 tips on my plant due to black tip. Now I have 16 tips on my Makaha Sunn. . It is leafing out and sending out 4 new tips for each original tip, that I cut off. The problem was it was not in full sun, this plant has to be in full sun. Barbra

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Wow Barbra that's amazing!! Sounds like she will make it after all. What a beauty you got!

Well that's good to know she likes full sun. I was going to pull her into the shade after 2pm just to avoid the afternoon sun from burning her leaves. Now I am wondering if I should just leave her be? It's in the 90s today. Burn my leaves so badly! :(

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Lynn, Just leave her be. My plant was shaded by the branches of a hardy hibiscus. Once I cut it back, and removed the branches from the hibiscus, it is thriving. Gladys O'Neal, and some other plumeria love being shaded by a large bushy plants, their tips just poke out in full bloom, but not Makaha Sunn. Barbra

• jasonindallas
    8 years ago

Wow.....I am super late with finding this thread, but Matt really does have some great Makaha Sunn for sale. I just purchased a 23" with 4 tips from him. He has NEVER let me down.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz