Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dave_in_nova

Highly recommend Piece of Paradise.

Just got an order from Derrick at Piece of Paradise.

Heartily recommend!

I just ordered one unrooted cutting -- a 'Pink Pansy' -- for $7 -- and he threw in an extra 'Maui Rainbow'! The two-tip Maui Rainbow had one small tip broken off unfortunately, but I'm not complaining too much!

The Pink Pansy has 5 tips.

Really nice beefy cuttings. For those just starting out, he has a fair selection and really good prices. Order came in about a week and a half, so not bad.

People, now's the time to start those cuttings!

Comments (18)

• DelWH
    10 years ago

I agree. I have ordered many from Derrick. They are always multi-tipped, in fact, an Aztec Gold I got from him had 10 tips! Can't beat the prices and the always fat cuttings.

• rox146
    10 years ago

ABSOLUTELY!!! My orders have been remarkable. If you have the tip in the box, try using tape and putting it back on...we did that once and it worked, but maybe the tip was more recently snapped.

regardless, you sure cannot beat what he sends and how honest he is....aloha, roxanne

• krismast
    10 years ago

I agree completely. He is so generous with his cuttings, I ordered two and he sent four, and they all had a good callous. He shipped very quickly too!

Kristopher

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

Searched for it, nothing came up. Do you have a link to his website?

Edited: Never mind, I found it. It said candles so I didn't look at that one. :P

This post was edited by powderpuff on Sat, May 4, 13 at 18:19

• Minderella
    10 years ago

I ordered 4 from him on the 26th of April. I am thinking they will arriive in the next couple days.

Mindy

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Piece of Paradise Candle Co.

He wrote my address wrong, but it still made it to my house.

• Minderella
    10 years ago

That is wonderful, Dave

I am anxously awaiting mine from them.
    Mindy

• DelWH
    10 years ago

I just got a Nebel's Rainbow from Derrick and it has 12 tips!!

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Oh my, Del! So you got an entire tree? ;)

This post was edited by SagoLover on Sun, May 5, 13 at 0:58

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Wow. Thanks for the info.... Will have to take a peak. Sounds like a deal and very generous as well.

Chuy

• DelWH
    10 years ago

Well, not quite. LOL It's maybe about 16" or so. I guess you could call it a mini tree...It's still nice as there is a good chance 1 or more tip will have an inflow. He sent me a UH Orange cutting last fall with 4 tips and 3 of them pushed inflos.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Does he have other varieties that are not listed on his website?? Same good price?

• desamecyra
    10 years ago

I can't say enough nice things about the folks at Piece of Paradise, they really go out of their way to leave their customers smiling:) I recieved my first order from them yesterday, but my son ties up the computer on weekends, so I couldn't post, until now. My vision isn't the greatest, so I tend to look for plumeria varieties that are strongly fragrant, before I even consider flower forms, colors, or the tree's growth habits. I'd heard that Singapores (Plumeria Obtusa, and the Aztec gold variety of Plumeria Rubra were very fragrant. I had recently been laid off, so I was surprised to be able to afford two cuttings from Piece of Paradise, for what I normally pay for one, anywhere else, I chose those two varieties, in my order. When I opened my package, I at first thought that I'd rec'd someone else's order, as there were more cuttings than I'd ordered. It wasn't until I read the labels on the cuttings that I realized that it was indeed, my order, with a present, and a very lovely and generous one at that. The bonus cuttings included are of named varieties, not culls, or damaged stock, btw. My gift cuttings consisted of a second Singapore, (to hedge my bets on rooting the one I'd ordered?) and a variety that was on my wish list, but not affordable, just yet. Best of all, it seems to be a fragrant cultivar, too, and one with large flowers, from what I see on the internet. It's called Jeannie Moragne, though I'm not sure if it's Jeannie Moragne Jr. or Sr., but either will be gorgeous, I'm sure:) I'm new to growing plumeria, and thanks to these awesome folks, now have a gold, a white, and a rosy-pink/red streaked type, pretty much a complete pallette of color. Incredibly nice of them I think.
    I hope they read this forum. (If so, please allow me to say Thank you, for the highlight of my weekend!)

P.S. These cuttings have all been lovingly potted up and are outside, against a warm wall, basking in our 80+ degree temps.

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

Okay, you guys inspired me to order a couple cuttings from him even though I'm a little afraid to try.
    I hope he reads this forum, your reviews are great!

• DelWH
    10 years ago

I don't think Derrick is on here, he is very active on the Facebook Plumeria Addicts group however, posting several pics of his stuff almost daily. He is very approachable however and you can always call him on his cell and talk to him directly. BTW, on my last order, he threw in 20 or so Hilo Beauty seeds as a gift as well as an Englewood cutting. Great guy.

• desamecyra
    10 years ago

(Embarrassed smile)
    I sort've emailed the contact address listed on my paypal notification form, and mentioned the thread. It's so rare to hear good news these days, thought I'd pass it on...;

• barb13_gw
    10 years ago

I ordered from Derrick at Piece of Paradise in March because I read that everyone was happy with their order and I was very unhappy with the cuttings that I got. I ordered 4 and got 5 but one had a broken tip, and two were rubbery. I used the egg method and they have not rotten or anything like that but don't seem to be growing yet. I had also got a couple of orders from Matt at the same time and those cuttings the tips are shiny and you can tell that they are doing well. To be fair I did email Derrick when I received them and he said that he would replace them if I paid for shipping. But since he did bend the one to get it in the box he had to know that it was rubbery when he send it. I am not new at this and have been growing them for 16 years and have almost 400 of them in my backyard in pots. And these are only 5 of about 60 that I have started this year. I only use the egg method on ones I spend more on so most were started in bottles or pots. But all of the ones I got from Derrick and Matt were started with eggs.

• desamecyra
    10 years ago

Just a quick note, while the nice folks at Piece of Paradise (POP) are top -notch, I wanted to mention that Upland Nursery also has an online sale right now, for cuttings.....:)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions