Duvauchelle ...
;-)

Take care,

Laura

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Sat, May 31, 14 at 14:13

Comments (37)

• Kimo
    9 years ago

Looks good. Id be prying it open with my fingers by now..
    Congrats

• rox146
    9 years ago

beautiful....Laura! What is the scent? I have it on my wish list (of course) and wonder if it would do well in my cooler climate, someone told me "no". roxanne

• barb13_gw
    9 years ago

Looks great Laura. I have one but so far it has never bloomed. Please share pictures when it opens. Barb

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Rox!! It is a sweet fragrance.. Very pleasant !!

James... Lol, I have been watching this inflo since I came home this early morning.. Been looking at it all day.. It's slowly opening and I was so tempted to use my fingers, but stopped myself twice.. I really did!!!

Barb.. I will post a few more !!

I'm tickled about this one.. ;-)

Mahalo!!

From Diana's notes...about Duvauchelle!!

DUVAUCHELLE aka Duvauchelle Red, Duvauchelle Special. Originated on the island of Kauai and is named for Alice Kealaula Duvauchelle of Kauai. It
    was brought to Oahu by Gloria Schmidt. Rich colored 3â velvet red with pointed petals that slightly overlap. Slight sweet fragrance with a fair to good keeping quality. The foliage is a deep reddish green color. The tree is rarely found on any of the islands and was once was thought to be extinct. extremely slow growing.

Laura

• Kimo
    9 years ago

Rox,
    I have a large 8ft tree of Duvachelle if you want a cutting.
    Over the years I have found that Duvachelle is a picky grower in cool coastal temps, mine occasionally has gotten black tip. Not a great bloomer in coastal areas, my tree actually is kind of ugly because of the issues..could be because its been in the same 25gal pot forever.

• Kimo
    9 years ago

Laura,
    WOW with 2 flowers you could pull one open..lol
    Very pretty....
    Congrats again.

• georgecc
    9 years ago

Laura, hate to be a party pooper - but I think you might have been misled, and instead of a Duvachelle, you were accidentally sent an Audrey II. Do you remember a total eclipse of the sun around the time you got it?

Now, luckily, we have an Audrey II rehab center down in Southern CA, so if you ship it to me, I will make sure it gets the treatment it needs. ;)

In the meantime, no matter how much it pleads with a deep bass voice - do not feed the plant (artist rendering of Laura feeding Audrey/Duvachelle below)!!

Original Author
    9 years ago

" Feed Me ..."

How truly kind of you , George!! I'm sure i wasn't mislead... Now, maybe yours isn't getting the attention that , well.. Audrey would give.. LOL!!!

maybe the feeding system of your Duvauchelle is missing some steaks?

Seymour would give that to his Duvauchelle.. Rehab?

" they say Duvy should go to rehab, but I say.. NO, NO, NO...."

Lol.. James, I'm sure your tree is a beauty too!! 25 gallon pot? Wow!! Thanks for the kind comments too... ;-)

I think I'm going out to gently use the finger method on her.. I hope she doesn't drop on me.. Or BITE me.. LMAO!!!

To funny, George!! Little shop... Great play, saw if off Broadway!!! Glad to know you have a few babies growing in your yard!! HA! Be careful...

Laura

• georgecc
    9 years ago

In all seriousness, Laura, congratulations. You have a challenging cutting variety and you got it to bloom first time out! Whatever you secret is, my hat's off to you. Enjoy the blooms and post lots of pics. I'll show those pics to my Duvy and see if I can get her motivated! She's not doing anything!!

• rox146
    9 years ago

I guess I am taking Duvy off my wish list....others that will be faster/happy bloomers for me from now on... roxanne

• gidgetsocal
    9 years ago

Laura, it is gorgeous! You have way more willpower than me! Like freak, I probably would have pried one open! :-)

• irun5k
    9 years ago

Nice! Looking forward to seeing that info once it gets fully cranked up!

• georgecc
    9 years ago

No update today? Can't wait to see it open!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol... I know, I have been watching it all day!!

I did use the fingers.. Had too!!

Hoping to see more blooms soon!!!

Have a great day, everyone!!!

Laura

• Kimo
    9 years ago

Laura,
    To your nose what does she smell like to you?

• georgecc
    9 years ago

Congratulations, Laura, we have to celebrate!!

• georgecc
    9 years ago

James, did you say 25 gallon? OMG, that must be an awesome tree! How are the colors in your coastal temp?

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Brian, I tried to let it open on its own, but after my friends who are so " supportive". Lol, I used my fingers to open this one up. I left today for a business trip and it will be a few days before I see her again.. We will see some " natural opened blooms" when I get home. I just couldn't wait.

Like James said, I had two that were ready to open.. LMAO!!! So.. What was I to do? Mmmhmmmm... Open her !!!

James.. If I would have let her open naturally, I probably could give you a better description ,,, but the fragrance isn't like any other red I have smelled. It had a sweet fragrance and that was when it was still cupped. I hope I can give you a better description when I get home.. I tried to open it, you can see how it wasn't ready.. But I was dying to see. ;-)

It still wanted to stay closed. So I had to really work it to open her for the pic.
    I would love to see pics of yours too !

Thanks George!! Yes, we need to celebrate!! I have waited so long to have this one open. I rooted another Duvauchelle last year, so it will be some time before that one will open as well...

I can't wait to go home to see what is happening with her!! I'm sure she is " hungry". Lol...

Take care,

Laura

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 23:04

Original Author
    9 years ago

I posted my pic on FB and Hetty Ford shared this pic of the Original tree from Kauai on my post.

Thought you all would like to see this beauty!!

Beautiful.

Laura

• georgecc
    9 years ago

Beautiful!

• rox146
    9 years ago

WOW-O-WOW!!!! roxanne

• Kimo
    9 years ago

I think on the mature tree in the Kaui weather/temps the petals take on a bit of a slight difference, thinner in shape. Mine looks like yours when it opens with a sweet scent , to me almost like orchid Oncidium Sherry Baby (Chocolate orchid..doesn't smell like chocolate to me, just sweet with a slight vanilla scent.).

Congrats again Laura.

As for color in the cool coastal temps, its the same as Kaui and Laura's.

Here's a pic of mine when it first bloomed after 4yrs(only bloomed 4x for me since in 9 yrs, plus the inflos that season were not prolific but were on the 3rd blooming cycle during a heat wave of temps in the low 90s. A lot of times the inflos just dry up and fall off...Picky plants in coastal temps:

Here is beautiful pic from Brad of Brads buds and blooms in steamy hot Florida:

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi James!!

Beautiful blooms..

Here is a picture of mine this morning. I'm talking about 1 am!! Had to check on this beauty! Had a six petal and the rest are only five, but it is doing well!!

I also had. Sherry Baby.. Loved the scent, but it didn't do well, lost it last year!! It really did smell like chocolate.. YUM!!!

Have a great night!!

Laura

• chuy415
    9 years ago

Spectacular!!! So jealous! ;-)

Chuy

• Kimo
    9 years ago

Gorgeous!! Gotta love the reds. Congrats again Laura and thanks for the show.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    9 years ago

Such a deep color. I am awe. :) Good job growing such a beauty Laura.

• texasplum
    9 years ago

Love that color!

• gidgetsocal
    9 years ago

And 6 petals to boot! What ARE you feeding her?! Must be those steaks! LOL! She's a beauty!!!

• rox146
    9 years ago

Pretty cool Laura....roxanne

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Chuy!! You have some beauties .. I have seen pics!! ;-)

James.. I love the reds too!! It is so hard to truly capture the color though. Here is a pic from today. She is looking like she needs water, which she did.. Tonight the flowers are getting ready to drop.. They don't last long. Bummer!!

Musaboru Thank you!! So glad to see you here!! I posted some on the other forum.. Our friend, H wanted the list.. Lol!! She is to cute!!

Texas .. Thank you so much!!!

Gigetsocal. Yes!! I only had one with six petals.. The rest were only five. So I will take that extra gift!! Thank you for noticing!!

Hi Roxanne!! Mahalo!!! You have some beauties.. I can't wait to see!! ;-)

Have a great night!!!

Laura

• rox146
    9 years ago

cannot wait to show you....although, it is like micro gardening compared to the land you have....put on your "munchkin glasses"...roxanne

• jandey1
    9 years ago

That's an awesome red, Laura! My little guy got a spelunker's helmet and I instantly thought of you and your late-night trips to visit your plumies :)

• mike_in_maryland
    9 years ago

Laura,

Outstanding flower. Here I am in Maryland as a rookie with no idea when I may see my first inflo and you are using your fingers on blooms. Can't blame you and thought I would let you know the first big Key West cutting that you and everyone else told me to sit tight...I read when the leaves on each branch reached about 6" it's time to repot. Could not resist and although I don't really think I'll see flowers this year (only been at this since last August), I'm pushing the envelope on the one that seems most advanced and "used my fingers" to repot. I cannot wait until I have flowers as nice. Congrats.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Jen!!

That is to funny... I'm sure I could use anything to free up my hands and to be able to see at night!! To cute!!!

Hi Mike!! Good luck on the cuttings.. Usually it's when you see leaves six inches then its time to water. So I hope they will be happy in their new home!! Keep us posted . It's possible to grow in our area and have nice trees!! It just takes a little longer than those who live in CA, TX, Florida.. So keep up the good work and it will pay off... ;-)

Laura

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    9 years ago

Things also kept in the garden shed. Head mount flashlight, ladder, and camera.

Beautiful.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Roxanne... I'm so excited!!!

Laura

• rox146
    9 years ago

Me too, cannot wait...come hungry and thirsty!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner