Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coloradogardener2009

Container Plumeria buy online

So.. I live in zone 6 just recently moved from CO to NY along Lake Ontario and I am thinking of growing plumeria in containers.. Can all you folks please send me recommendations on what plumeria (fragrant) grows best in containers (disease resistant) and what online sellers would be best to contact regarding purchase? Thanks for all of your help!

Comments (3)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    9 years ago

Hey colorado

Welcome to the group. A word or warning we give all new members. You cant have just one.

The choices are almost endless on fragrance. There are rose, gardenia, suntan lotion, grape koolaid, floral, popcorn, spicy. Each one is unique.
    All will do fine in a container with root pruning. You may want to stick with the compacts. Remember these are trees so they can and will get massive. Jungle Jacks Divine is a forum favorite for being compact, pretty and has a good scent. It is an easy one to grow so its a great starter plant. Most of the Thai varieties tend to be a bit more compact than the Hawaiian types.
    Diseases really arent an issue. Pest and cold are the biggest issues along with root rot. A good rule of thumb is, no leaves no water. They can go along time on little moisture when dormant but can rot very fast if too wet.

A few recommended places that come to mind

websites
    Florida colors
    Jungle Jacks
    Maui plumeria gardens
    Double Peak Plumeria
    BNJ exotics

I know there are more I just cant recall right now.

on ebay
    1 stop Aloha
    bloomingplumeria

Of course you can ask here if anyone has anything to sell and there is also several Facebook groups that have some great people to buy from.

There are some very shady sellers from Thailand on ebay and now amazon that are doctoring the photos to make the plumeria look blue purple and some other ridiculous colors. If you have a concern ask us here if its legit.

mike

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

Agree with Mike,

If I were to do it all over again, I would stick with dwarf or smaller growing ones. I wasted a lot of time, potting soil, space!, and schlepping on the huge monsters.

Divine, Penang Peach, and to some extent Kimo are some I have that have stayed 'manageable', and still bloom well.

Do a search on this forum for 'dwarf' and see what comes up.

This post was edited by dave_in_nova on Fri, May 30, 14 at 13:38

• jandey1
    9 years ago

Great advice, and I would only add to stick with the established recommended sellers like Florida Colors and Jungle Jack's to get rooted plants.

You'll spend more for rooted or grafted plants now, but save a lot of money and aggravation in the long run as rooting a cutting is usually very tough for beginners.

My top variety recommendations for your situation would be Penang Peach, Divine and Dwarf Singapore Pink. All are fragrant, small and generous bloomers. Good luck!