Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laura_sd

Plumeria roots growing into SW planter reservoir - Repot?

laura_sd
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have had my plumeria for about a year but bought it from a nursery already large, no clue how old. I planted it in a pot with a self-watering insert in the bottom b/c I'm not good at remembering to water and thought it would help me keep my plants alive. It has been doing well except for some insect damage. It recently came out of dormancy, now has many small leaves. I noticed the other day through the fill tube that there are many roots growing in the reservoir. Is this ok? Should I re-pot and effectively prune the roots that have grown into the reservoir? If that's the best option, when is the best time? I have an inflorescence growing on one branch and I definitely don't want to lose it. I also have an issue with some insect eating my leaves and a small spider crawling on it, easily visible with the naked eye. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help,

Laura

Branch w/ inflo and hole

Comments (8)

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Plumeria roots don't like to sit in water so I would really consider getting them out of that reservoir somehow. Also, if the roots are reaching that, is the plant possibly a little root bound?

The best time to root prune is around spring time I believe, but someone with more root pruning experience can confirm or deny that, LOL! Determine if the container is the appropriate size and then either re-pot or move / cut the roots in the reservoir if there aren't too many.

The issue I have with a self watering reservoir is that you never fully flush your soil, which is a big benefit to container plants to flush out salts in the soil. Ideally, you want to thoroughly water your plant and then let it dry out before watering again. However, if this is your only option then it is what it is.

The spider isn't hurting anything, it will not eat your plant. He may even be beneficial, as in, eating other insects. Whatever IS eating your plants could be something like caterpillars and such. If you are having a lot of your plant destroyed from this I would look into some options, otherwise keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get bad. If you overkill it can kill ALL the bugs, good and bad.

I hope this helps a little bit, let us know how it goes!

• laura_sd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the quick response. I didn't think the pot is too big, it's 3.25gal pot my windmill palm came in. I could repot and bring it to the top of the pot, or up to a 5gal. I understand your concern for the SW pot. I always water the top whenever I fill the reservoir until it flows out the bottom. could the spider be a spider mite? I thought those were too small to see. It is really small. Any more specific advice for figuring out what type of insect? The only one I see is the spider climbing in the buds. Thanks,

Laura

Full size image of plumeria

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Laura, it sounds like you're doing great with this plant, as you have many of those points covered I would see if the plant is rootbound, get those roots out of the reservoir if you can and really you don't need to do anything else. Are you fertilizing occasionally? They like that too. As far as what's eating your plant, the symptoms for spider mites are: "Leaves may become mottled and tend to curl under. Small webs may be visible." And they are small sucking insects. If you have big chunks out of it it's more likely something else. The insects can be really elusive, only come out at night, etc. so look more at the symptoms it presents if you don't see it. Your plants look really nice, keep up the good work!

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Here's a link to a few of the most common insect problems on Plumeria:

http://www.mauiplumeriagardens.com/images/pcb1_2.pdf

Luckily, they aren't really prone to too many.

• laura_sd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks for the info. So if I just take the plant out, cut off the roots I can't salvage, and put it in the same pot closer to the top of the pot if not root bound, a larger one if root bound, I will likely not risk losing my growing inflo? I can also wait until later in the season after she finishes blooming to repot if it won't like that. I will also stake out my plants at night and do some more research to find out who's eating my plants. Thank you!

Laura

• elucas101
    11 years ago

If you want to try and keep the inflo I wouldn't do anyhthing to the plant until it blooms except maybe a bit of fertilizer - the repotting and / or pruning are just for the overall health of the plant. Take note if anything starts to look weird, otherwise wait until it blooms to re-pot and get the roots out.

• laura_sd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok great. That's what I figured but wanted to be sure. Definitely fertilize during growing season. I use a granular slow-release plant food and switch between a 10-10-10 and one that has a slightly higher P ratio. Now that you mention it, what do you think about compost as fertilizer? I got some from the city landfill so it's probably mostly made from yard waste from curb pick up. I also have steer manure compost for veggie beds. Thanks for your help,

Laura

• elucas101
    11 years ago

I've read that organic fertilizers / compost are too unstable and inconsistent when breaking down. Personally I would avoid them on your plumies. What is highly recommended is Dyna Gro Foliage Pro and Super Thrive, they are very highly recommended for container plants. Foliage Pro is a very balanced fertilizer and provides everything your plant needs, nutrition wise.

This is a link, although long, VERY good information about soils but it also branches off into discussions about fertilizers. Many fertilizers with a high P content or N content are providing way more than your plant can actually use. Check it out & see what you think. Keep up the good work!

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/plumeria/msg1110423916856.html?110