Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
powderpuff_gw

Anyone want to guess at ID'ing these?

powderpuff
10 years ago

A local grower sells trees on consignment with a local nursery. He has them coded with numbers and not names. They aren't seedling. They are cuttings of his big trees. I know pictures aren't great. I took a photo of the sheet at the nursery. The trees were huge. 4-7 feet tall with LOTS of tips, many with inflos. One trunk was 10" around at the base. Prices $12.99 to $59.99 depending on size.

{{gwi:1165142}}

Comments (6)

• elucas101
    10 years ago

A3 I would guess Pop's Red or Scott Pratt, can't tell from the photo.
    C1 is definitely Pauahi Alii, I recognize the photo from MPG.
    C2 Lei Rainbow.
    C3 I would guess Charlotte Ebert - the picture is familiar but I can't exactly place it right now.
    E3 my guess would be Kimo.
    E4 looks like Miami Rose but I'm not sure.

This post was edited by elucas101 on Sat, May 18, 13 at 22:28

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

D2=Singapore..maybe.

• powderpuff
    Original Author
    10 years ago

elucas101 and mksmith, thanks! I got a B-3 and have no clue what it is. Also an E-4, E-2 and A-4. One of the other yellows is definitely Aztec Gold, it was blooming but I don't recall which number it was. Some of them were sold or he will bring the next time. I really should have gotten the either B1 or 2 just because the tree was enormous and had about 10 tips, 7" tall, huge big tree trunk. I will take pictures later of the ones I got. We just got them planted in the ground. Big, thick hard roots and lots of new roots too. They will so glad to be free of the confines of a pot. Now they can take off.

B-4 was huge but the bloom was not at all impressive. smallish, thin white. I didn't see any SIngapores, maybe next time he will bring some of the others.

One of them was so root bound the bottom of the pot was rounded. My husband leaned it up against the fence so it wouldn't fall over. The dog bumped the pot and it rolled, fell and broke off one of the branches on a 3 tip limb that had an inflo with loads of buds on it. :( Thankfully there are plenty of others so it's not noticeable, and it has another info, but still....... :(

Nothing particularly rare about the varieties but the trees are outstanding for the price. Healthy too. It would take years to grow to the size of these.

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Nice find! Post pics when you get a chance. I am lousy at IDs of plumeria.
    Tally HO!

• tdogdad
    10 years ago

Aaaaargh. Disturbing in so many ways. Selling cuttings with other people's pictures. Trying to id from a picture. Listed by code and not registered name. Buyer beware. Don't be surprised if two years from now you get a dull white flower. Otherwise, do not call a plant by a registered name unless you know it came from a registered plant, which cannot be done by photo.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Bill, you are so right. If we are to keep the registered plant true and correct we cant assume a plant is something without really knowing.

Mike