Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_first_kms2

Washed out

the_first_kms2
10 years ago

While I am never one to complain about rain considering our track record the last few years. This storm caught me by surprise. I looked out the window early Saturday morning to see about half of the back yard flooded. I went out to investigate and took a few pictures.

Lake Plumeria. Admittedly my grove sits in a low spot because that is where I have the best sun. Normally drainage is pretty good. I think this time it was just an overwhelming amount of rain. My rain gauge overflowed so it was somewhere north of 6 inches in about 6 hours.
{{gwi:1165431}}

It started to drain once I cleared a french drain which had become clogged. You will never guess with what.
{{gwi:1165439}}

The Culprit - A Singapore Obtusa Leaf. I savored the irony for a few minutes.
{{gwi:1165444}}

Here is the First Thornton's Mardi Gras which made it through the rain.
{{gwi:1165445}}

A Very wet Celadine
{{gwi:1165446}}

I really don't think there will be any significant problems from it. The smalls were on the cart, the rooters were in the greenhouse and got a bit wet. The rest can take a few wet days.

Comments (6)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Wow that is a ton of rain!! We have had our share but not all at once like that.

Mike

• elucas101
    10 years ago

K, that's fantastic that the smalls and rooters were in such good spots and didn't end up sitting in it! All that rain was really something. I'm glad it stopped at your garage. I can't believe the plumie leaf was to blame haha!

BTW, Jeannie M. has rooted beautifully, many thanks!!!

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

K - perhaps there was some conversation going on that you were not privy to and Singapore stepped forward and provided more agua they were wanting?

I'm envious of your mardi gras bloom. A few weeks ago I thought mine was pushing an inflo but that seems not to be the case.

BTW, is that canna Endeavor? I am so disappointed with the performance of mine and wonder if there is some kind of deficiency or if it is suppose to be such sparsely ugly blooms. Yours isn't ugly, if that's what it is.

I like your cart. A long while back I remember someone building a cart but don't remember if it was on this forum. Was that you?

Edited because I don't know how to spell. :)

This post was edited by moonie_57 on Mon, May 27, 13 at 21:22

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think the official number is 10 inches of rain. which is just slightly less than what we got for the whole of 2011 (the worst year of the drought so far). That singapore is obviously a trouble maker.

E, it came close to topping the greenhouse slab but I built it above the highest backyard grade just for this scenario and the house and garage are even higher.

Moonie, I bought the cannas in a box from Sam's years ago. Every few years I thin them out. Is there a Lincoln or Mr. President variety? Because that sounds familiar. That probably was my cart. I modeled it off of the lumber carts at Home Depot or Lowes which have that taller center axle to help you pivot the cart.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Geez, that's a monster amount of rain. My mother said her front yard and the streets were like rivers, and it nearly came up to her doorstep. You were so smart to put the cart and greenhouse up high.

Here we got about 4-1/2 inches, I think. My rooters got drenched but since I found a couple are rooting now I'm not too worried. Temps are high enough it shouldn't bother the rest.

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Wow! I don't think we get that much in a year! Gosh I miss rain! So much so I bought two CDs. One for rain and the other rain and thunder.

Your plants doing ok though?