Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasplum

My mom is heading to Pasadena, CA where does she need to look?!

texasplum
9 years ago

My mom his heading to CA in a couple weeks for my sisters graduation and will be staying in the Pasadena area. She is planning on taking a day to JJs but I was wondering if there were any other places in the area she should visit to find some plumies? I know JJs has been shipping to a bunch of lowes in the area ( none here in the central Texas area!!) do yall know of Lowes in the area that might still have some? Thanks in advance!!

Comments (26)

• No-Clue
    9 years ago

Upland Nursery but very expensive! I like buying from Matthew at Plumeria Island.

• Kimo
    9 years ago

My sister lives in San Marino and there are not many Plumie places other than San Gabriel Nursery, or Lowes in the area.
    Depending on where in Pasadena she is staying, Matt @ Island Plumeria is about 40 min drive away without traffic, but he will have some nice cultivars (JJ's, JL, Calif Local varities.).
    If your mom's going to JJ's from Pasadena, she could make a pit stop @ Cstars Nursery in Gardena. In San DIego County there are tons of different plumeria nursery and growers she could hit up also like Pacific Plumeria, Aloha Tropicals, Tropic World Nursery, Ampols, etc.

Hope your mom has a great trip, but sounds like there will be a ton of driving. Was going to say that if she wasnt going to buy much she could take the coaster train that goes from Union Station in Downtown to Oceanside, but if shes going to buy a lot she will def need a car.
    Cheers

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    9 years ago

She could also try going to Armstrong (www.armstronggarden.com - garden center chain) - there's one in Pasadena. They carry plumeria from C-Stars, although I'm not sure when they will get them in. They usually have a lot, though.

Upland Nursery is worth a visit, just to see all the plants and crazy grafted plumeria. After the mild winter we just had, I bet their plants are blooming early. They *are* expensive, though, unless you catch a sale.

Lowes will be hit-or-miss. They will get a few more shipments of plumeria throughout the summer (not all from JJ), but it's impossible to know when. There won't be a huge selection, most likely.

• Kimo
    9 years ago

Daogirl,
    Are you referring to the Armstrongs on Glenarm St?? I've been to that location many times to pick up flowering orchid plants for my sister, and do not really recall seeing plumies there except a few during their Hawaiian days. Its close to the Langham Hotel.

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    9 years ago

Freak -

Hmmm, that's good to know. The ones out my way (Glendora, Claremont) usually have a bunch in July. Last summer, the one in Glendora had at least 30 (1gal - 5gal) at one time ... it was nuts.

• Kimo
    9 years ago

Hey Dao,
    I know that depending on the location of the Armstrong Nursery, they can carry a lot of plumeria, the one I use to go to when I lived in Palos Verdes had a huge selection of them including Marilynns Gardens varieties. But for some reason the Glenarm location does not carry many during the Hawaiian days. Usually I see plants geared towards traditional landscaping, English cottage or some Xeriscaping plants (which would include plumies).
    So I guess its its based on demand, go figure.

Cheers

• texasplum
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the info and I will pass it on. She will be there for a week I think so she is going to have a few days to get out. She wants to pick up a few that she has really wanted since she is going to be in CA. Thanks again!!

• Kimo
    9 years ago

Texasplum,
    Since your mom is going to be in Pasadena she may also want to contact Sonia Hangs who lives about 35 to 40 min away without traffic as she sells a lot of Thai, JJ, Named cultivars. Your mom may get better pricing if she is willing to buy cuttings.

• tapapoi
    9 years ago

I grew up in the area and San Gabriel nursery is an old time and very large and wonderful nursery. They used to carry the standard plumeria varieties but I haven't been there is a few years so I don't know what they carry now. They usually had a better selection later in the summer and not so much in late spring or early summer.

Upland nursery is to die for with their plumerias. I visit family out there and go once a year at least and they always seem to be having a plumie sale in the parking lot! It's on North Tustin in Orange and might be a good stop on the way to JJ's.

• tapapoi
    9 years ago

Upland nursery

• tapapoi
    9 years ago

Upland nursery.

• tapapoi
    9 years ago

Upland nursery.

• rox146
    9 years ago

Would love to get there some day. I cannot say enough about Island Plumeria in Northridge as well....roxanne

• Kimo
    9 years ago

I agree with Tapapoi regarding Upland Nursery. Love seeing Ed and Malee.
    The only thing I usually want from Upland is Malees own special seedlings she grows and sells from time to time. A lot of time they have number coding, no name. The other thing about Upland is a lot of her plants are grafted, but its hit or miss as she does have some rooted also.
    Oh and if Malee likes you she may offer you a tour on her cart of her back growing area, almost like being in Thailand except for the back drop of the LA river..lol. But honestly you will see tons of HUGE trees back there and acres of them.
    If you do have time and are near Tustin, then I would def make a stop and check them out. I haven't been by Upland in about 3 yrs now, kind of far even if I am going to South Coast Plaza.

• toomanydogs
    9 years ago

Upland Nursery is like the Ferrari dealer of the plumeria world. You may have some sticker shock but the plants you buy will be of exceptional quality. I have many plants from there and they have performed well here in Riverside. I have her Jojo and Fafa varieties, named after her dogs I believe. Beautiful. They have a website and it shows some of the varieties. They sell cuttings but you need to give them a day or two notice before you pick them up or they do ship.

• cinnie0 (z 9b / So Cal)
    9 years ago

freak4plumeria can i get sonia hangs info from you i would love to contact her about some cuttings. what are her prices like? Im a newb and am trying to get my first plumeria. what are good prices for cuttings?

• disneyhorse
    9 years ago

Cinnie0 where in SoCal are you? I've got a couple cuttings almost rooted if you want one. They are cuttings from my neighbors Gardena tree and I already have plenty... Just seems a shame to throw away what I prune from our property line so I give them away instead on occasion.

• socks
    9 years ago

To save herself running all over So CA, get her some phone numbers so she can call places which may or may not have plants of interest to her.

• texasplum
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow thank yall for all the awesome info. She would be in heaven it sounds like! Knowing her she might go a little overboard!

Freak
    thank you sir and she would def be interested in cuttings and probably a little easier for her to bring back as well.
    Can you send me her contact info?
    Thanks again!

• Kimo
    9 years ago

texasplum
    You do not have your email/msg enabled.

• cinnie0 (z 9b / So Cal)
    9 years ago

disneyhorse I would love that. sent you a pm. I am in Joshua Tree.

• texasplum
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Freak

Should be fixed now...

thanks again
    Shane

• texasplum
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Freak,

Tried to send you an email back but you have your email disabled. Thank you for the info but the info on Sonias didn't come through.

• Kimo
    9 years ago

Shane,
    Sorry... Resent with info this time.

• texasplum
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks!!!

• texasplum
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Any other places or any other sales going on that she needs to visit? She is leaving this Friday and will be there for 10 days. Thanks!!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting