Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomanydogs_gw

Jungle Jack's at Riverside, CA nursery

toomanydogs
9 years ago

After I cajoled and wheedled and whined for months the owner of Parkview Nursery on Magnolia/Jackson in Riverside,CA got a big order from JJ. It arrived yesterday and I had my pick of the litter today! These plants are in far superior condition to the ones that show up at Home Depot and Lowe's, trust me. Most have inflos or multiple inflos, even on the one gallon plants. I restrained myself and only got an Xquisite, a beautiful Desert Sunrise with multiple inflos and a Captivate. Though I may need to go back......

Comments (89)

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    9 years ago

I made it on Saturday to the one stop in Central Texas for the Jungle Jacks Express as it heads to Florida. Water Garden Gems east of San Antonio. I put "Frozen" on the DVD for the girls and we ventured east on the 10 Freeway to be there when they opened.

They had a pretty good selection of the Jungle Jack named by Color (yellow/white, Pink, Premium Red, etc.) a few purple jacks, Thumbelinas, Red hots, Dazzle, Christina, a beautiful shaped Penang Peach about to bloom and a Pink/red or something like that had great potential by its shape. I hope someone buys that Penang soon. They are nice people out there and had quite a few standard yellow/whites for anyone interested in starting off.

They also had recently placed their display plumerias back in the ground around some of the water features. No leaves or blooms just yet.

I left with a few forum favs. a very well shaped 3 tip Scentsational, 3 tip Gina, 3 tip Desert Sunrise, and a not frequently mentioned 4 tip Milan.

• toomanydogs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tim at Parkview Nursery in Riverside got his second order of all named plumeria today. I have a partial list, got there right before they closed at 5:30. Among others they have: Laredo Princess, Yellow Gina, Queen Amber, Pink Jack, Dragon Tears, Xquisite, Mandalay, J105, Adagio, Fuji Mist, Tangerine Dream, Vienna Rose and Marco Polo. Alas, no Purple Jack. Many have inflos on more than one tip and all were nicely shaped plants. Hurry on in!

• dthrooop
    9 years ago

I'll echo Rox's sentiment - with the Jaws theme now actively entrenched in my brain for the evening! I drive by a Lowe's on my way to work each day, so I now may start the hum when I'm a block away and approaching quickly!LOL!

kms2, toomanydogs - congrats on your new additions!

Nicole - 5 new ones? That's awesome ;-)

Alison - great to see you back on the board! Maybe we'll get to see you at another gathering this year?

Cheers!
    Dan

• disneyhorse
    9 years ago

I'm tempted to take the drive. What's the price range for these premium plants?

• elucas101
    9 years ago

K, congrats on your big score! I looked at the pic of Milan and it is GORGEOUS! Desert Sunrise and Gina will not disappoint!

• toomanydogs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dan - definitely plan on making the long trip to your part of SoCal when you have a meeting, it was great fun.

Disneyhorse - they are one and two gallon plants priced at the JJ retail for that particular variety. Range is from $30 to $85. Most of these plants have inflos, many on multiple tips.

They are going fast!

• nativec
    9 years ago

I have to ask myself why I keep checking this thread...LOL. Sounds like they got in some more great stuff! Now to resist the temptation :)

Toomanydogs- you deserve the first "enabler award of the season". Thank for keeping us in the loop!

Dan- it was only supposed to be 3 plants when I visited the nursery but somehow 2 more jumped in. Happens to me frequently, sigh....

Happy shopping everyone!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Nicole.. You make me laugh.. I understand completely!! Lol

Jen. Sound like a great network set up for you guys!!! Have fun!!!
    Sound like Peg and I will have to bring special protective gear for the open house!! It's going to be fun, Wish you were joining us, Jen...

I said I was going be good.., Argh!!!!

Allison. You do get the award for finding the beauties!!! Unbelievable!

Dan.... Jaws theme.. Playing in my head.... ;-)

Roxanne.. I hear you have the magic at finding the goodies too! Awesome!!!

Have a great day, everyone!!!

Laura

• georgecc
    9 years ago

Okay, I got a 5-gallon CS3, and a smaller Cherokee Geisha and Xquisite. So I'm sure now that there is nothing else out there to tempt me. LOL

Jen, I wish you were coming out this way, too. That would be great fun.

Allison, all-around magnificent work. I love the picture texts of temptation I get from you!

Laura, it's been a good year already. Can't wait for the blooms.

• rox146
    9 years ago

George, are these the ones he shipped to you? He packs so well. roxanne

• georgecc
    9 years ago

Roxanne, the CS3 was shipped to me directly from Jack Jack's. I hope to receive that today. It's about 3' tall, so I look forward to checking out how he ships it. Allison picked up the XQuisite and Cherokee Geisha for me. We'll be meeting in a couple of weeks - she has plants for me and I have some for her. Can't wait, especially since the XQuisite and CG have inflos and may be blooming then!

• georgecc
    9 years ago

I almost got a Tiger, too, but I managed to practice great discipline and hold off on that one. That was tough, as I've seen Tiger, and it's a beauty.

• rox146
    9 years ago

thought you had Tiger???? Or was that Tbred Tracy?

• georgecc
    9 years ago

TBred Tracy. No Tiger. TBred is nice, though it looks a lot like Moragne 93. Big bloomer, though.

• jandey1
    9 years ago

Wah! I want to go to SoCal and visit with you all! Would love to meet everyone and see Bill again! Laura, you and Peg will have a blast. Give everyone hugs from me! And an extra one for George :)

K, now I'm thinking about that Penang Peach...aargh. But NO, I have some JJ's beauties headed my way so I'll be good.

• rox146
    9 years ago

Jandey....I have 30 on my list for the Lowes frenzy to take place next week. So excited and hope I can figure out the felt pen markings on the ones just marked "Premium Whatever Color".... :-)) roxanne

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    9 years ago

I'm just sitting in a bleak, barren corner of North Carolina, quietly sobbing. *sniff*

• rox146
    9 years ago

don't feel bad, I am getting ready to post my JJ wish list for the hunt and will be happy IF I find 5 of them.... roxanne

• rox146
    9 years ago

DON'T LAUGH TOO LOUD! roxanne

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    9 years ago

Yep, I feel so much better now.

:)

• rox146
    9 years ago

just hoping I can figure out the code?????

• Kimo
    9 years ago

Roxanne,

Jenny and Temptation do not perform that well in coastal temps. Both just look yellow, unless there happens to be an extremely hot heat wave (like now), then you will see some color. I gave my Jenny away last season, HUGE temptation is kicking around somewhere in my patch. Jackie is another one that looks yellow in cooler temps.

Just an FYI before u spend your time and money on them.

• rox146
    9 years ago

THANKYOU SOOOOOMUCH!!!!! roxanne

• toomanydogs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good choices, Roxanne! I just picked up a Laredo Princess and an Adagio at Parkview. They had more Laredo Princess one gallon for $19 if you want me to get you one and send it via George. Laredo Princess has a lovely sweet floral scent. They also have the Incognito, I was sorely tempted by it too. Last summer I got Christina and Tai Surprise at either Lowe's or HD. I love Tai Surprise! Temptation has fantastic veining here in the high heat of Riverside but trust freak4plumeria for the coastal knowledge, why waste the money to be disappointed by the lack of color. Tesla Girl is more expensive as is Xquisite so they won't be sent to the big box stores intentionally but accidents do happen! That's part of the fun of going to Lowe's, it's like a treasure hunt!

9 years ago

You are a lady after my own heart!!!

Wow!!!

Good luck, Roxanne!!! I'm sure you will have fun looking at all of the stores with your networking there in Cali!!! ;-)

I can't wait to hear what you found!!

I'm excited for you!!!

Take care,

Laura

• georgecc
    9 years ago

Great list, Roxanne!

There's only one more I'm trying to get this year, but I have to sell a few of what I have beforehand. So it's plumie sale time. Wish me good luck!

• georgecc
    9 years ago

Roxanne, I'll be keeping an eye on the Burbank and Simi Valley Lowes stores for you next week. Hopefully we can get some of the stuff on your list!

• rox146
    9 years ago

thanks to you and Allison....for sure a Laredo Princess and an Adagio....BUT, wait to see what I find on Monday......So again, many thanks to Freak for plumeria to cautsioning me on Temptation and Jenny....ahhh the thrill of the hunt. IF I get any sleep between now and Monday it will be a miracle! roxanne

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    9 years ago

Roxanne, maybe this is being selfish (I live 2 miles from the ocean in Orange County and I get cool marine layer weather more than I'd like), but I wouldn't give up on Temptation... I bought one last year, it bloomed for the first time at Christmas last year, early winter, short days cool days 60 degrees or so, cool nights in my un-insulated home, and on Christmas day I got yellowish flowers with hints of greater things with more heat... I think Temptation could still be decent once it warms up, will let you know later this season (although had it been blooming this week, after 95-100 degree days I am sure it would be vibrant haha).

• rox146
    9 years ago

mahalo mjhuntingtonbeach.....I ordered one Temptation that JJ shipped last May....waiting to see if it blooms this season... roxanne

• rox146
    9 years ago

Let the JJ frenzy begin...good luck to all...this guy followed us home yesterday...roxanne

9 years ago

Beautiful. Humpback?

I can't wait to see what you find....

I'm excited for you!!!

Have a great time.. Be safe!!!

Laura

• rox146
    9 years ago

Humpback ..yes, go figure, who would think we would be clicking off whale photos with a macro lens....he was right next to our boat as we motored home....followed us for 45 minutes...SPECTACULAR!

• jandey1
    9 years ago

James, thanks again for the great info! We all keep falling in love with photos of these flowers at their very best and forget they can fall far short of their potential.

I wanted to order Temptation but John talked me into Serenade instead, said it's a more impressive compact bloomer.

Rox, do you have a small truck for that haul? :)

• rox146
    9 years ago

Jandey, he/she just would not quit following us. I think it thought it was in Mexico and we were the pong a that had the people in it to reach over and touch it????

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    9 years ago

Haha, Roxanne. I am ready with my list, too. I will say, out of your list, I have definitely seen at Lowes/HD (as named plants, not just "premium" whatevers) in the past:
    fools gold (saw lots of these), inca gold (got one of these last year at HD), incognito, and jenny.

• rox146
    9 years ago

Attention Toomanydogs.....I would like to mail you some $$$$$ to get a nice big Xquisite at your nursery if there are any that still have plenty of inflos.....mahalos and hope I am not too late........roxanne

• toomanydogs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Roxanne, let me call them and check. I am back to work so can't get there until the weekend. They don't open until 8:30 and close at 5:30, foolish people.

• rox146
    9 years ago

Let me know...George is calling today after checking his Lowes for what else he wants...he said he is seeing you in a few weeks for the Orange County Meeting? roxanne

• georgecc
    9 years ago

Thanks, Roxanne. I do my best to keep the legends alive!

And Allison, I know how you fee! The See's Candies in Simi Valley opens at 10 and closes at 6! What the heck? I can't tell you how many times I've been late to work when I needed my chocolate-butter caramel-nut fix! They need to come up with some humane hours! Have compassion!!

• georgecc
    9 years ago

Just sent an email to See's Candies suggesting a 24-hour drive through window, or even a dispensary ATM. Jungle Jack and Jungle Jack dealers - please consider this simple customer request!!

• rox146
    9 years ago

HAHAHAHAHAHHAAAA...roxanne

• jandey1
    9 years ago

LOL! George, you are too much!

• rox146
    9 years ago

Many Mahalos Toomanydogs.....scored a Xquisite for me and now to sneak it into the yard via simidude....wow what we have to go thru...roxanne

• jandey1
    9 years ago

The lesson we can all take away from this is that whining, cajoling and wheedling will get you what you want ;)

9 years ago

Amen, Jen!!! Lol...

I will do as you ask!! We will miss you!!!

Just had to do the dance the other day.. Hubby didn't see a thing... LOL!!!

Jen, you asked about my mom... Yes she is wonderful!!! ;-)

Glad to hear all is well.. I'll be in touch!!

Take good care,

Xo

Laura

• toomanydogs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Luckily my husband is a computer person so he does not notice me when I drive the car down the driveway and sneak the new plumeria into the shade house because he is so intent on his monitor screen. Love the Xquisite, mine is blooming away. So is Malika but the color is a pale peach, nothing like the catalog picture! It's only in the high 80s here, perhaps it needs more heat to be red?

• virgo1667
    9 years ago

Yes Home Depot sales Plumeria from Junkle's Jack....As a matter fact I bought 3 Plumeria which are the Panittas'Red and the Hearts' Desire and the other one can't remember the names....I kept the Heart Desire Plumeria and Returned back the Panittas' Red and the other one as well both since was Grafted....Even the man at Home Depot confirmed that it was ended grafted... I prefer that the braches comes from the Original body than having two different bodies it's just doesn't look normal....The price wasn't cheap at all...The Panitta"s Red and the other Pink colors was about 2 to 3 feet tall and priced was $39.99 each and the small ones are priced for $24.99....Just be aware or check all the details of the Plumeria that you are buying from Home Depot or Lowe's that was provide by Jungles Jack because some of them are grafted and some aren't...so I decided to buy a few of my Plumerias thru Bloomingplumerias and 1-stop-aloha thru Ebay...At least I have the exact colors that I wantd since these Two are refutable sellers...By the way there was someone posted here that needed to see a photos of the "Rare Kolika Plumeria" and as matter of I have a Tree that just Blooming at the moment so if still neede I can Post a few photos of the Rare Kolika Flowers...Thank you

• texasplum
    9 years ago

I didn't think that JJs grafted any plants? Thought all their stock came from cuttings?

• rox146
    9 years ago

So did I...roxanne