Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lreinsch_gw

Help! Bent Plumeria stem!

lreinsch
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am writing on behalf of my grandmother, who has been diligently raising the plumeria I brought her as a cutting from Hawaii 3 years ago. The plant, which is an indoor plant in a rather small planter, has grown to over 3' tall. (I had no idea it would take off that much when I planted it for her...hence the small pot.)

This past week, just as it was finally going to bloom, the planter tipped over causing a severe bend (almost break) in the stem about a foot from the base. She has braced the stem with dowel rods and has wrapped gauze around the bend, but is this all we can do? She's worried it is starting to lose nutrients but doesn't want to ruin the chances of it finally blooming. Should she cut it, and if so, where/how? Can she save the top? Bottom? Should we replant it in a larger pot?

I tried to find other posts in the forum on this topic, but all I found were for clean breaks... I also have photos I can share, but didn't see a way to insert them. Sorry to be so "green" at using this forum: any help is appreciated!

Miserable in Missouri,

Lorraine

Comments (12)

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Lorraine, If the bend is in the green wood I think it will recover. You have reinforced the branch at the bend and thats all I would say to do. Plumerias typically can recover from massive damage.

• lreinsch
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, that is great news! My grandmother has been so saddened by this event, that this should cheer her up greatly! When does the green wood start getting more tree-like? The stem seems to have almost stretch-mark like puckering in along the mid-length.

I am so glad to have found this forum: so much great information! I will continue share progress.

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Great advice and definitely keep us posted. It's always a bummer when that happens but they are good at bouncing back.

Once this plant has recovered from this boo-boo, I would definitely consider re-potting as well if it's been 3 years. The fresh, well draining soil and the larger pot would really make this plant very happy if it's root bound. A 3' tall tree should be in at least a 2.5 - 5 gallon pot, and depending on the branching, possibly more. Is she fertilizing? They do like some fertilizer too. Pea gravel is a nice way to add a little weight to the pot if needed.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Lorraine, it sounds like she did just the right thing. When you get a cutting that grows very fast--and many of those cuttings they sell in Hawaii are fast growers--it's always a good idea to put a stake in the pot. It doesn't need to be tight against the plant but close enough to help prevent that limber wood from bending severely.

I would say that after three years the trunk at the base should be pretty woody, and she should notice the trunk beginning to get harder along the length each year.

You can see the gradation here between maturing wood to very green new growth:

The center is still green enough to bend on that cutting, which was rooted last spring and has tripled in height. The stretch marks are quite normal.

On the left is a nice example of mature, dry wood on a several-year-old seedling:

Let us know how her flowers turn out!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Lorraine,

Sounds like you have lots of helpfull advise..

I like what everyone has to say to help your grandmother's Tree!!

Happy Mothers's Day to you and your Grandmother!!!

Please keep us posted!!!

Laura

• Woman_of_Paradise
    11 years ago

Lorraine- mine bent for seemingly no reason, it's got 2 branches and they just started to bend- I used a dowel & rubber bands to prop it (cut the bands & tied them around), and moved the rubber bands on a regular basis gradually giving less support to the branches. Eventually the branches just held up on their own and I removed the dowel entirely. There is definitely still hope for the plumeria, I really did not anticipate them being so resilent, but I've had the bend, I've had spider mites & total leaf loss. I'm actually here today for a new problem, but I'm hoping as the prior two times, that it will remover beautifully. Good luck!

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Lorraine, if your grandmother caught the break within minutes and put the two torn ends back together, the tree should heal itself at the break over the course of the summer. It may be set back for growth and it may drop leaves and/or flowers, tho. She should keep those splints and wraps on it and stake a big stake to it to help it stay stable.

I would wait to see how it responds over the next month before thinking of cutting the trunk. They are amazingly resilient trees so don't despair! If worse comes to worse, the cuttings from the top of the tree will be rootable, or the tree's demise will give you another excuse to go to Hawaii!

• lreinsch
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know it's been awhile, but I just wanted to thank everyone again. It seems that after a summer of staying bandaged, my grandma's plumeria is well on its way to healing itself. I think think it may finally even be ready to start branching? I'll know more on that when I visit next week. The great news is that it did flower! I'm not sure how many buds it shot out, but am attempting to attach the photo my mom sent me. As you will see, the flowers were yellow! (We thought they would be pink from the package, but perhaps I mixed them up after plotting them...) In any case, your advice was much appreciated!

Lorraine

• pcput
    11 years ago

Hi Lorraine, Thanks so much for the update. It is so nice to know the outcome and you got a beautiful flower too. I bet it smells wonderful too. Thanks for posting. Peg

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

That makes me feel so good... How wonderful for you and your grandmother..

You should be very proud of yourfelf..

Great job!!!

Laura

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Wow, was your Grandma able to get that plumeria to bloom indoors? Amazing! So glad to see it recovered and is putting on a show for her efforts.

They really are very resilient plants; the only big danger to them is root rot when they are young, usually from overwatering over fall or winter.