Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rust on new DSP

Posted by LizzaNVA 7a (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 12 at 15:32

Hi all,

My new Dwarf Singapore Pink arrived (a replacement for a graft that didn't take) and it has orange rust on the undersides of the leaves. I washed it down with a tiny bit of dish soap instead of using Neem which I use on my citrus trees. Is that a decent approach?

Thanks!
Liz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rust on new DSP

If you have rust it's best to just remove the affected leaves and throw them in the trash.

~Jen

o

Hey Liz,

I agree with Jen... I would also keep it away from your other plants and if you can give as much sunlight without scorching the tree, that will be helpful.

We have had some really high temps here lately, but i feel your tree will bounce back with the natural sunlight and by keeping it on a wet /dry cycle. Make sure you acclimate your tree into the full sunlight...

My trees have had the Orange Rust before. I used Earth-tone 3n1 Disease Control spray by Espoma Kills Mites. Mildew, Rust and Black Spot. Mine comes in a pink spray bottle. (Cloudy day only!!!) This usually happens to my trees in the fall if it does happen.

Your tree will be fine tho. : )

Glad to hear that you have your replacement!!

Take care,

Laura

o

Thanks! But yikes! That's pretty much all the leaves. I cut the ones with the major rust off. Can I leave the leaves with just a couple of spots? I have it outside on my protected balcony where temps are usually 10 degrees higher than outside. Kinda rough when deciding what coat to wear...I usually end up choosing something too light.

Also, I only have one other plumie and that's the graft bottom of the one that didn't take. It's inside far away from the rusted one. Will the rust infect my figs and citruses? Plant space on my balcony is at a premium.

Also, I have copper I use on my figs. Will that work?

Laura, I'll be down in Yorktown in a few weeks for my cousin's vow renewal--they had to elope b/c her husband of 20 years had to deploy. You're lucky to live in such a beautiful area!

Best!
Liz

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here