Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
proudmamasd

Hawaii- Folks, these really are TREES

ProudMamaSD
11 years ago

Hey Everyone, so I have been home for a couple weeks now and am only finally getting back in the groove, missed everyone.

I wanted to share a few photos from my trip. For the first time since stumbling into this addiction I actually felt a little foolish coveting these sacred trees that are growing rampantly around Oahu. Literally! Everywhere. The shock of seeing birds sitting in precious plumeria was overwhelming at first.... yes, I am THAT naive about all these trees I have. It was interesting that around Waikiki it seemed that just about every plumeria I saw was similar to a celadine (or actually a celadine), but when we ventured to the North Shore and out of the 'city' brilliant colored plumeria began to surgace everywhere.

At first my mother laughed at me as I snapped pics and stared at all the trees, right up until we went to the Dole plantation and the lady there offered up a 3 tip rainbow she had been saving for someone else- at which point she jumped right on the band wagon and claimed "Miss Rainbow" as she calls her, for her own. I also procured a Kimo, Cindy Schmidt Orange and a Waimea. Happily ALL of them are already rooting, and I only planted on the 3rd. The Rainbow is the only one I potted, and it is doing better than my bag rooted ones, but all have claws.

Just a few, unfortunately they are all taken with a cell phone, but here they are:

Plumie in the night

Heehe, that's not me btw. Just wanted you to see how prolific and common they are.

Seaside plumie

What a paradise, wish I was still there!!

Wendy

Comments (13)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

My family went to Oahu in 06 way before I knew anything about plumeria except that they were used in Leis. Ive looked through all our photos to see if I happened to take any of plumie trees but couldnt spot one. I really hope to make it back one day.

Mike

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Wendy thanks so much for posting those pictures!!! That's really shocking to see them so huge, OMG! I mean, I know they get that big but my brain doesn't really process it LOL!

Glad you had a great trip, nice to have you back!

• stormys_mom
    11 years ago

ok thats it I'm moving!!!!

• Minderella
    11 years ago

I have always wanted to go to hawaii. Someday I hope my wish comes true.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Great pictures and I hope you had a great time. I have sat with my daughter under that one you call Seaside Plumie. Kuhio Beach Park in Waikiki. Its the rock wall, swimming lagoon, and breakwater that reminds me. Thanks for sharing.

• pcput
    11 years ago

"WOW" Can you believe it --- Sitting under a plumeria shade tree. How great is that. Thanks Wendy, Peg

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Wendy!!!

I am so glad that you had a great vacation in Oahu!! I just love that place and i also like Maui as well. The pictures are all special,, but i will say that the forth pic down is just the pot that we would pull over and have a time on the beach and bring out our lunch for the afternoon. take a nap under the beautiful trees and fall asleep with the sound of the waves, the gentle breeze and the sunshine giving us the Hawaiian Glow...Then to have the fragrance of the wonderful blooms that are all around us...Heaven...

Pure Heaven....

thanks for bringing me back... I need to go there and just look...talking about ..."EYE CANDY..." My definetion and my DH def.are two different things ; ) I love the trees... That is where the love begain with mt addiction..

Ummmm i just love these babies!!!

Thank you for sharing your pics..

Laura

• ProudMamaSD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ha, you guys are so fun, I did miss you all!

Wouldn't it be something, a plumeria society meeting under the 'seaside plumie'?? We were walking to Diamond Head when I saw it... pretty sure that is my personal paraside. Beautiful ocean with a perfecto plumie gracing its shore.... ahhhhhh

• ProudMamaSD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Got in the mood, so here are a few other shots I got of the great many things I saw while there.
    An adenium?

Kind of unexpected

Really sad how this photo turned out. This one looked like a candy stripe, it was wonderful! In a 'nothing special' backyard, and so striking. Including it just to give it the kudos it deserves.

So many fruit trees and amazing sights, gosh I miss being there.

• qaguy
    11 years ago

Plumeria isn't the only thing that grows large in Hawaii.

Check out this pointsettia I saw on the Big Island.

Yes, that's an SUV behind it.

• pcput
    11 years ago

"WOW" Tom, That's HUGE. Thanks for sharing it with us. I'll never look at a poinsettia the same. Peg

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Awesome series of photos, Wendy! Glad to hear you had such a good time. We're not slated to go until next year, so it's wonderful to see pictures in anticipation!

All but the first and last pictures in your first post look like Singapores. Love the colors on the first. And your observation about the variety on the North Shore vs. Waikiki is interesting. Did you make it to Koko Crater?

Congratulations on sucking your mom into your obsession! That'll make it easier to buy more plants without disapproving harumphs, LOL!

Jen

• kaz171
    11 years ago

Aloha guys - I posted this in MPG a few yrs ago. If u like Hawaiian trees then take a look. This is Dr Richard Criley's collection of named cultivars. Would've loved to see his hybrids or seedlings but that didn't happen. The first 5 mins or so are species and uniques then we get into color.
    This is pt 2, I'll see if I can find pt. 1 from a different location.

It's kinda long (20 min) so grab a primo or mai tai an enjoy
    a hui hou

http://www.spike.com/video-clips/sht9ga/hwn-plumerias-pt-2

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH