Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trunorth7

They have arrived! JJ plumeria!

TruNorth7
11 years ago

My much anticipated plumeria from Jungle Jack's arrived yesterday afternoon! My squeal of joy echoed through the valley, causing gobbles of irritation from the wild turkeys that were milling about nearby.

I brought them inside and began carefully unpacking. The wealth of packing peanuts was astonishing.

I initially pulled them out a handful at a time... then got fed up by the slow progress and cut the boxes, with peanuts spilling all over the place (I'm still picking them up, btw)

All five plants arrived in great shape. I carefully took them outside for a photo shoot. Here they are!

J-105 (3 tips)

Inca Gold (4 tips, 1 inflo)

Divine (3 tips, 2 inflos)

California Sunset (4 tips, 4 inflos!!!)

AND DRUM ROLL.....

THUMBALINA!!! 5 gallon ( 6 tips, 3 inflos)

Thumbalina's inflo

Yippee!!! I can't wait for those inflos to start opening. Looks like I'll have flowers all summer =)

Thanks for all the help picking varieties everyone!

Rachel

Comments (12)

• pcput
    11 years ago

Rachel, They look "GREAT". They sure know how to pack them. Congrats on your new babies. Peg

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

JJ does the best job packing plants for shipping. Compare this with my disaster from Brad's that were wrapped in a few sheets of newspaper and hence all broken severely. I also had really great packing from Maui Plumeria Gardens and One stop Aloha. There is nothing as frustrating as opening a box to pieces. The one time I did not have packing bags, the cuttings I sent to Laura got some tips broken. Sorry Laura for that one. At least the price was right. And Rachel, all of those are really nice plants which I am sure you will be thrilled to see flower. They will be a bit sensitive to cold for a short time because they have been in a hot house environment.

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Those are some really great looking plants, WOW!!!

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

Rachel! WoW! I am jealous, to think all those beauties were there and I missed them, lol. It really seems that John takes his time sending out wonderful plants, I wonder if that isn't the better way to go? There is very little order in the nursery, and when I went for an Inca Gold I was just happy to find 4 to make a decision amongst. Enjoy them, they are another "fab 5" to quote Laura.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Rachael,

Beautiful trees!!

You made a great choice on your selections... they all look so healthy. John really does a great job on his packaging. Love the pic of the peanuts falling out of the package. : ) I would have done the same thing. I think everyone here on this forum can chuckle because we would have the same problem getting into that package.

Isn't it funny how exited we can get opening a package... knowing that it is going to be a Plumeria, or something special? I can't remember being this excited except when Santa sent something!! We all know that feeling...

Bill.. LOL !! You do a fine job packaging your cuttings. I really appreciate what you give and the time you take to send these cuttings out to so many. Mahalo!!!

Wendy.. To cute!! The "Fab 5" do look great!!! : )

Glad you had a great time on your vacation. I love Hawaii..

Take care,

Laura

• TruNorth7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone!
    Bill:
    Thanks for the cold sensitive tip. Thankfully we've had day temps in the 80*-90* and nights around 60*, so I haven't had to bring them all inside. I can't wait for them to adjust to life outdoors and start opening those blooms!

John was really great about picking out my plants. They exceeded my expectations, and given the quality I think they were a great value when compared to the Gardenia I got from 1 stop aloha last year. I paid the same amount for my HUGE 6 tip Thumbalina as I did the little 3 tip Gardenia last year pictured below (just waking up...). It was well packed though ;)

Gardenia

One thing I really like from JJ is that the plants were shipped in their pots, leaves intact. Of course, the growers in Hawaii don't have that option.

Laura; it really is amazing how excited we get over these plants. My sweetheart doesn't understand at all; he's beginning to become one of the eye rollers! I'm kind of sad now tho... after my Celadine arrives on Thursday I have vowed NOT to buy any more plumeria until next year. But, oh how I want a Pinwheel Rainbow. I may have to smuggle it in amongst the others under the cover of darkness :)

Rachel

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Rachel, those are the most beautiful plants I have ever seen. They are so thick, and full of leaves. You are going to have a beautiful display of blooms this year. Barbra

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Rachel, those are all fantastic! John really did take care of you! We can't wait to see your blooms.

Jen

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

Hi Rachel,
    I just got an order from John last week. HE does really take good care of packing his plumerias....congrats on your beauties..and cannot wait to see the pics when there blooming!

Andrew

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hey Rachel,

LOL!!!

Give him some "drops.." : )

I also said that i will "cut back next year.." But that seems to be something that i really need to work on!!!

Your trees look amazing.. I cant wait to see more pics from you!!!

Remember, meet the Fed Ex man at the end of the street... LOL...

Darkness works well too! LOL...

Just wait.. you will want more!

: )

Have a great night everyone!!!

Laura

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

Wow! Great packaging, and a really nice collection of varieties!...and look at all those inflos!

• plumeriafl
    11 years ago

I have Thumbalina, Divine, and California Sunset. All are great. Divine is probably my favorite though! Amazing smell as well as cute, tight bunches of many flowers. A case where small flower size is actually a nice thing because it adds to the "mini" aspect.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022