Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arctictropical

Latest pic of flowering plumeria under grow lights

arctictropical
9 years ago

Here is a picture of one of several plumeria seedlings that have bloomed under grow lights in zone 4.

Comments (8)

• plumejunkie
    9 years ago

Good stuff Arctic, do I see a little pink in there? What seedlings are flowering & how old are they?

You know, I've often wondered what my plumies would look like under key blackdog led, but it's hard to pass up the good old sun in summertime....lol

Thanks for sharing your pics, keep on posting,
    Jason

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Jason. The pink bud was a bud gone bad I think. I plucked it off. I have about 15 seedlings that are 2-3 years old that are blooming. Oh yes, good old summer sunshine is the best! I'm jealous of your warmer weather in the bay area... well, at least in the winter. I know Summer weather in the bay area can be cool.

• plumejunkie
    9 years ago

Wow, 2-3 years is crazy fast! I've heard others say the same thing about seedlings under lights. Are you in a tent? Would get great humidity in one. It sure would be nice to be able to put my plumies under the black dog in winter & just keep them rocking 365.

The bay can be cool or hot, depending where your at. I'm on the delta, actually about 5 minutes from the water, so I get temps that exceed 110 degrees which make for really exceptional color. I really need to move right on the water so I can take advantage of the humidity, would make for almost perfect combination of hot hot heat & humidity in summer!

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi again Jason. I have my plumeria in an old bedroom in the basement. I have three T-5 high intensity light fixtures with 8 florescent light bulbs in each fixture. I shut the furnace vent in that room since the light fixtures put out a tremendous amount of heat. In fact I must leave the door open to the bedroom because it gets too hot. Humidity has never been a problem for 2 reasons. There are enough plants in pots together that they supply their own humidity, and I have a high efficiency furnace that keeps the humidity high enough in our entire house. I run my lights 12 hours during the daytime and let them sit 12 hours in darkness. The amazing thing is none of my plumeria ever go dormant!

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    9 years ago

That is great stuff. You do a great job up in your zone. I read about you losing the big palms. That is sad. When I first started "tropicalesquing"(may not be a word, LOL) my yard, your palms where some of the first I ever saw here on GW. What you do with them is amazing. I use 4 2 lamp T5 fixtures to start my yearly veggies. I may try it on some of the plumeria this winter.

Mike

• plumejunkie
    9 years ago

arctic - you know, I was debating that very issue with a friend the other day. She said plumeria need the down time of dormancy to build energy for new blooms. I say photosynthesis is the source of a plants energy so dormancy shouldn't really effect the blooming. I've had mine not go dormant a number of years and always have great blooms.

It sounds like you've got it all dialed in. Have you tried any hps/metal halide or led's with your plants?

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Hi Kevin!!

Beautiful blooms!!! Congratulations on another beauty of yours...

I also like the T-5 lights and I have one four foot fixture that I keep upstairs and have it set for 12 on 12 off like you!!! They don't go dormant either and some of the others that I keep upstairs close to the area go semi dormant ( they all keep one eye open.. ;-). The big guys, go in the back bedroom and are put to sleep.. It's the only way...

I'm so glad to hear of the seedlings blooming and I know its not uncommon for them to take that long to see inflos, but Im Always impressed with your dedication for all of the trees and different plants that you grow in Utah.

I agree with Mike.. When I first saw pics of how you boxed up your palms I think it was a Windmill. ( can't remember) and how you insulated ths big tree, I was stunned.. Your yard and even the plants you have Inside your home is incredible.

I hope your son is still helping you protect during the winter, Kevin.

You give hope to everyone who questions if they can grow Plumeria, Palms and other tropicals with the snow capped mountains in your backyard.

Impressive to say the least..

The good news about my Butias is that I think they will all make it except one that is in my front yard. I had Jordan ( remember the guys down the street from Me who I helped start the palm tree business?) they have been so helpful now that I cant climb up in my trees and cut the dead fronds down. I'm just to old for that anymore, but these guys are the best. They came when I called and asked for assistance in hurricane cutting of the Butias. It's been two weeks since they were cut back and I see green fronds starting to emerge. I'm so happy. They look funny right now, but they are alive. The Sabals made it....

Always great to see you post Kevin. Will you do me a favor? Please post a pic of the mountains and your yard so people can see how truly dedicated you are and how cold it gets where you live? It's truly remarkable...

Thank you for sharing and also for the pics...

Take care,

Laura

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Mike, Jason and Laura. Isn't it awesome we can be friends via the internet. People that love plants are the best! Mike, I'm not a quitter. I planted another outdoor palm this year and more for next year. Never give up! Jason, I believe they need down time at night, just like we do, but dormancy? Nope. You are right about the photosynthesis. I certainly have no problem getting them to bloom without dormancy. Laura, I always appreciate your posts and comments! The palm I planted outside this year is a Butia. I'm hoping for the best. I'm still amazed that my Mexican blue fan palm (Hesper) looked just fine even though it did not have any heat under it's box for 2 weeks when it dropped down to -20 last December. You never know. Yes, I'll take some pics with our snow-capped mountains in the background. Thanks guys!

Sponsored
Kwon Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Loudoun County, VA