Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crenda53

Plumeria leaves curled

Crenda 10A SW FL
9 years ago

What could be causing the leaves on my 3 different plumeria to curl under like this? Is it a water issue? They are planted in the ground and we are still in the dry season here is SW Florida. I soaked the area after noticing the curled leaves, but nothing has changed. My neighbor is doing zilch to hers and all the leaves look great.

I do not see any bugs. A month ago I had white fly on several plants - palms, bird of paradise and the plumeria. So I sprayed all with Bayer and they seem to be doing well enough. No more eaten or damaged leaves.

Any advice? Besides water, how about fertilizer? They have bloomed nicely, just about a third of the leaves are curled.

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

I'd like to know what the possible causes of this are too. Because one of my Kimo plants exhibited this all summer last year. The other Kimo was fine. I looked very carefully for bugs but could see nothing. Now, I did not use a magnifying glass.

I was wondering if it was either thrips, a virus, over-fert, or perhaps an herbicide spray which happened to drift.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    9 years ago

I am thinking its a recent change based on the older leaves being larger and normal shape and the new leaves are impacted. I am leaning towards recommending a flush and leach the soil to start and see if it continues. Then try a neem or insecticidal soap spray as the next attempt.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A flush sounds right to me as well. And since you mentioned something recent, I had another thought.

I have guys treat my lawn (that awful Floritam grass that is required by the city!) for insects and weeds. On occasion my regular guy will come ask if I want him to spray for aphids on my hibiscus, or mealies on the dracaenia. But Brad had a knee replacement and those covering for him may have sprayed something without my knowledge. Just a thought.

So if the flush doesn't work, I'll move on to the Neem. They're still pushing out new leaves and inflos, so that is a good sign.

Thanks!

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well - this morning about 7AM I found this white stuff on the leaves. It's sort of flowing in the morning dew. It doesn't look like mealies. It is more chalky looking. Am I looking at fungus?

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a closer view. You can see how it is "stacked" on the leaves and oozing down the length. Or maybe I have it backwards and it is climbing up the leaf. It can't be good, either way!

9 years ago

The white looks like sap (dried or wet) from either sucking insects or physical damage - birds, wind, jostling or maybe something else.

9 years ago

Crenda,

I threw that plant out at the end of the summer, just in case it was a virus or similar. I had an extra Kimo that was not affected that I held on to.

What have your temps been like there?

My leaf curl didn't show up until temps got hot. But I also did some careful spraying of Roundup around the ground. Don't know if it got down to roots of plumeria. Are plumeria super sensitive to Round Up?

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sap makes sense. I tried wiping some of it off and it felt rather like crystals instead of soft mold/fungus - you know how sugar or salt leaves a crust? Sort of like that.

I tried to flush the area, but noticed that there is that horrible plastic landscaping sheet under most of the area. It's not the nice breathable stuff that lets water through, but very heavy black plastic like you see in construction areas! I have removed it from most of my landscaping, but keep finding it.

Our temps have been in the 90s for a while. And surprisingly, the humidity has been low - around 30%, which is really low for us.

Obviously the Bayer didn't help, and maybe hurt, when I used it last month for whitefly. So I'll mix up the Neem and give that a try. I wonder if the bushes you can see in the background are harboring some pest? I think I'll treat those, too! Can't remember doing so the last time.

I have a couple of starters still in pots on my lanai. They look fine and have nice leaves. One even bloomed.