Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mksmth_zone_6b

Allan in okc check in

Hey Allan. if you see this check in. worried about you!! for those who Dont know a massive tornadoes just hit in OKC where Allan and Kenny live. Its headed mine and Roberts way. I'll check in later.
Tornado hit 2 elementary schools with kids still there. very very bad news.

Mike

This post was edited by mksmth on Mon, May 20, 13 at 17:55

Comments (33)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

I've been next to tears. It's devastating to watch, especially since we all know some of you.

Mike, are you home now? I'm only assuming that you have a basement if y'all should need it. There have been reports of other tornadoes around Tulsa but they are focused on the one in Moore.

Praying for Allan and his family

• kemistry
    10 years ago

I hope everyone is safe! It looks terrifying : (

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. I'm home now. No basement but rock house. Storm that has the big tornado is slowing down.

Say a prayer for Moore Shawnee and all of our state. its as bad as I have seen in a long long time.

Sounds like the schools did a great job protecting the kids.

Mike

• krismast
    10 years ago

Praying for all of you in the area. Be safe everyone!

Kristopher

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Please check in

Laura

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. I'm home now. No basement but rock house. Storm that has the big tornado is slowing down.

Say a prayer for Moore Shawnee and all of our state. its as bad as I have seen in a long long time.

Sounds like the schools did a great job protecting the kids.
    Edit- Tulsa dodged a bullet again.
    Mike

This post was edited by mksmth on Mon, May 20, 13 at 18:49

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

I was driving to schools to get our kids when I heard and I just lost it! I am praying all the kids are safe. As a parent nothing is scarier than losing your children!

I hope everyone seeked shelter and survived this disaster. Lifting you all up in prayers.

10 years ago

I have t been able to see anything. Just what people are telling me when they board... I'm working and I am so worried about everyone in OK!

Please be safe ...

I'm praying all of our friends are alright...

Thank you for checking in Mike. Please keep us updated

Prayers are with everyone in the path of these horrible tornados .

Laura

Original Author
    10 years ago

Tornado warnings still popping up in eastern OK. Chances for more in the south eastern part of the state tomorrow. 100's maybe thousands of homes destroyed in Moore. Many completely wiped off the concrete slabs. Tons of cars were blown off the road. Worst its been in 10 years. I'll update as things go.

Mike

• Kenny
    10 years ago

Mike and Robert,

Please stay safe up there and keep us updated.

Allan's area has no power and cell phone reception is still on and off even in my area. Traffic is deadlocked around here, everyone's been advised to stay home so the emergency correspondence crew can get to the affected areas.

The tornado knocked out power at the water treatment plant at our lake nearby. They issued a warning to residents and businesses not to use water for cooking, washing, etc...until power is restored at the plant.

Hopefully we'll be hearing from Allan when he gets the chance to visit the forum.

Kenny

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the update Kenny. I hope he just doesnt have power and cell service. Fox news said 37 people have died. Still searching the elementary school for missing kids.

Praying for Allan and everyone else. This is really bad!!
    85 people taken to OU medical 65 are children!

Mike

This post was edited by mksmth on Mon, May 20, 13 at 20:29

Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh my gosh. just heard as many as 24 children have died. I am so sad right now for our friends down the highway. Lord be with them!

• joanr
    10 years ago

Glad to hear you guys are safe but so sad to hear some lost their lives today. My husband had to go to Tulsa for work this week and he said he was okay but heard about the bad tornado in Moore. Now I am going to worry about him all week.

At least with our hurricanes we generally get more warning then y'all with tornados. Don't think I could handle always having to worry around this time each year if a tornardo was going to hit or not. You are some brave people to live thru this constantly.

Everyone please take care. Nothing is worth saving more than your life.

Joan

Original Author
    10 years ago

Dr Forbes said no doubt this was an EF5.

Joan we will keep an eye out for your hubby and keep him safe.

Mike

This post was edited by mksmth on Tue, May 21, 13 at 9:30

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Such horrible news. My thoughts are with ya`ll.
    Tally

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Terrible extremely terrible and horrible to hear and
    Know these tornadoes are devastating and have been
    Deadly. My prayers to all in OK. Be safe! Wish I
    Could help

Chuy

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

I was really hoping to log on today and hear news from Allan. Hoping for the best.
    Such sad news.

-Robert

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

I'm just sick to my stomach at the news -- loss of life -- precious children and all the injuries, property damage.

Prayers go out for the communities, rescue workers, survivors and all.

I know it's an added expense to the community, but I hope this generates more motivation to create some kind of underground shelters in the schools.

This post was edited by dave_in_nova on Tue, May 21, 13 at 9:25

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Dave.

good news, they dropped the confirmed dead from 51 to 24 but there is still a report of up to 40 missing children that has not been confirmed or denied yet.

I agree with the shelters in schools. Overnight 101 people were rescued alive from their safe rooms.

Robert
    I sent you an email.

Mike

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Let's all pray Allan can't respond because of just power loss.

All those people...those kids...I can't imagine how you move forward after that kind of destruction. Schools should be the first priority in creating underground shelters the whole community can use.

We're all praying this next round spares everyone.

Original Author
    10 years ago

great news!!! Allan just replied to my email he said he's doing okay!! No internet and cell service is sketchy he wanted to thank everyone for their concerns. he had trouble logging into the website I'm sure once he can He will reply here.

Mike

This post was edited by mksmth on Tue, May 21, 13 at 19:35

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

Great news, Mike! Thank you for letting us know!

-Robert

• AllanRandall
    10 years ago

Hey guys, it finally let me log in. Thanks so much for your thoughts and prayers. Unfortunately, there are many more that need them more than I. The whole area is just devastated. The photo is from my front yard.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow Allan. that was close. we were wondering if you where home. Did you have any damage? Glad you are ok!! You are right there are many others in great need right now. I know a few people that were in the path and lost everything.

Mike.

• pcput
    10 years ago

WOW that's great Allan. Looks good and hard to believe you are in the same area. We had one hit close to here a few years ago and although the pics are bad you can't really imagine how bad until you see it in person. We spent a day there helping them clean up. Glad all is well and you had a chance to let us know. We'll keep praying for the others.
    Peg

• AllanRandall
    10 years ago

Mike,

I didn't seem to get any house damage, not really even much garden damage. I have a pyracantha that was laying over from the base and one datura stalk broken. I got very lucky. The saddest party is finding stuff in my yard that clearly came from one of the schools that was hit.

10 years ago

Hi Allan,

I'm so glad you are doing well and that you didn't have any damage to your home. That picture is incredible to see and I'm sure it was a scary moment for you while it was happening so quickly. I can imagine how upsetting it is to find debris from the school. It reminds me of what some of my friends went through after 9/11.. They found papers in their yard and they lived in Queens... Soooo sad .

I hope that the healing can begin for everyone..

Kenny, Mike, Allan, Robert. We are so glad that you all are safe.. Thank you for our answered prayers...

Laura

• joanr
    10 years ago

Oh my gosh Allan, what a horrible sight to see out your front door and not knowing if it is coming toward you or will it miss you. I am so glad to hear that all of you in OK made it through this one okay. My heart just breaks for the ones that lost everything.

We have friends that live a little north of Fredricksburg here in Texas and they had a tornado come by their house. Picked up two trash cans and left the third standing where it was. I think they only found one of the trash cans. Some houses were destroyed but the houses built out of stone survived!

Hope y'all don't have to go thru this again any time soon. Take care. Joan

• beachplant
    10 years ago

too scary. I went through a tornado hitting our house and one hitting our school when I was a kid in Kansas. Luckily minor damage both times but I remember huddling under our desks and the sounds. Our school had a basement but it wouldn`t hold all the kids so we didn`t go there.

We had shelters in Kansas when I was a kid, they were old bomb shelters built in the 40`s. We never lived in a house without a basement but my grandmother didn`t have one, we went down the street to the bomb shelter.

Stay safe.
    Tally HO!

• krismast
    10 years ago

Our churches already have teams on the ground. Keep an eye out for the MDS, Mennonite Disater Service!

Kristopher

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

I'm really glad you're ok, Allan. Heartfelt prayers for your community.

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Wow Allan, that looks so ominous. I am gald you guys escaped it. Too close for confort.
    George

• AllanRandall
    10 years ago

George,

That was the closest I've ever been and far, far closer than I ever wanted to be. Let me put it to you this way. I live in an edition that has a main road on each side. There are direct hits on both off those roads. It literally cut across less than a mile past me. I'll just say, should have bought a lottery ticket that day...

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County