Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spiroan

Should I plunge my seedlings?

spiroan
10 years ago

OK, so now I have quite a few seedlings and am soon to put them in pots. My other plumerias get plunged into the ground every year, and I dig them up every fall. My question is, "Should I do this to my seedlings? Or would it be too much damage to their young root systems to let them sprawl and then dig them up in the fall?"

Comments (13)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

Can you tell us just how small these seedlings are?

If they only have a few leaves, I'd keep them in pots in a protected location in part sun or morning sun for maybe 1 season or two. I wouldn't 'plunge' until plants are at least growing vigorously in 1 or 2 gallon pots.

When you say 'plunge', do you mean set the pots in the ground, or plant them directly into the ground, out of the pot? I tend to use 'plunge' to mean set the pot into the ground. Then they're easier to pull up in the fall and store away.

• spiroan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Dave,

Yes, I do mean plunge them in pots in the ground, not planting directly.

The seedlings are just now getting their first true leaves, so I am going to transfer them to their own individual pots shortly.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

OK, so if they're that small I'd keep them in pots. Although, you could try a few in the ground if you have extras. It would be in interesting experiment to see which do the best.

I would think you'd have to make sure you protected from slugs though, if you have those. They can mow down a new planting in one night here.

• spiroan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK. Thanks, Dave. I may try both, and we'll see how they do.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Spiroan,
    You will actually find your growing season slightly elongated if you plunge the pot into the ground in late spring. When we get into those 40 degree mornings in late November the roots will still be in soil temps well above that. Therefore insulated and less bothered by a cool day here or there.

I think plunging when ground temps are above 65 is about the right time to start.

• spiroan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, kms! Interesting. I never thought of that. I've always just dug mine up and taken them in when we got the first hint of below 50 degree weather. This year, I may try to leave them in a little longer. Even a few days here or there seems to make a difference. I noticed that when I started taking one of my plants out a little earlier this spring (and bringing it back in at night) than the others.

Here, I have about four months of weather where I try to keep them inside, so anything I can do to decrease that, sounds good to me.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Yes, yes, yes. In Texas if your seedling is not at least 2 years old, you will need to plunge the pot into the ground. Its best to put them in flared pots, they seem to grow much better. Barbra

• spiroan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Barbra,

What exactly is a "flared" pot? I tried to Google it, but it just showed me a bunch of pots with intricate designs (aka "flare"). I just have mine in the black plastic pots with holes in the bottom right now. Is that what you are talking about?

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Nope, I had some plumeria in 5 gallon black pots like what you describe, I had 12 in pots I purchased at Lowes, they are 5 gallon pots but the top of the pot flares out, like a parrot tulip. I didn't notice the difference of growth in the plants until my son moved all the pots into the carport for winter storage. The difference in growth between the black pots and the flared blue pots was unbelievable.

• DelWH
    10 years ago

George recommends squat pots for plumerias. Not the easiest to find however.

• spiroan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK. Got it. They just need to be wider at the top than the bottom. I will begin looking for them. Thanks, Barbra.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Del, check out Haviland Plastics. Great squat containers that should last many years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Squat pots

• DelWH
    10 years ago

Hey, thanks for that link. Will have to check their prices and shipping tomorrow.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio