Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mimalf

Plumerias - are they looking good and healthy?

mimalf
10 years ago

Here are a few pics with the plumies we've seen at Cal Poly Pomona's nursery during Strawberry Festival more than a week ago. Can you please tell me if they look healthy and what could have happened to some of them that look like they were burnt or something?

Comments (24)

• mimalf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I forgot how to post more than one pic in a posting so I am going to post one at a time.

• mimalf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here a few of the plumies are not looking too happy.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

overall they look good to me. The areas you indicated do look like sunburn and maybe mechanical injury of some sort. yes that one spot is where the tree was broken or otherwise cut. Other than looking a bit funny it should be fine.

Mike

• mimalf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Mike. The prices were very good for such big plants, many of them having at least one inflo. The tallest was $79.99 but you have to have enough room to get such a big plumie. Most of them were between $39.99 and 69.99. The first one was expensive for its size and its name didn't ring a bell for me: Hawaiian Gardens. Is this a beautiful one? Maybe strong scent, terrific bloomer? They were having names on the pots, but a few were generic "yellow" or "pink" or "red". :(
    I could go again to see if the named ones were more expensive than the generic ones, or the price was related to their size.

• mimalf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Are these in the pics looking healthier and stronger than JJ's at Lowe's? Please, I want an honest opinion.

• DelWH
    10 years ago

The Hawaiian Gardens one looks exactly like the 2 Gallon Lowes plants look. The other plants in the other pics here are substantially bigger than Lowes.

• mimalf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So it might worth a try with those then. So big they must be strong too.
    The Hawaiian Gardens in the first pic was at least a 5 gallon pot. It was at least as big as my 5 gallons I have with my plants.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

They look beautiful to me,,,,

Nice and healthy except for the sunburn areas, but I have some on my trees and they do just fine.. It is hard to keep them Protected sometimes, so I would say chose the ones that you like and enjoy!

Great find!

Take care,

Laura

• mimalf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Laura! :)

This post was edited by SagoLover on Thu, May 23, 13 at 21:46

• toomanydogs
    10 years ago

I have several plumeria from Cal Poly Pomona, including the mysterious "Hawaiian Gardens". It hasn't bloomed yet so who knows what it really is! I bought a large Cerise from them and it bloomed very well last summer. They leave their plumeria on that shadeless concrete area all summer long so it is not surprising that they have sunburned areas. They also fall over a lot in the Santa Ana winds and get bashed up. Those plants have not been babied, they will appreciate some tender loving care and reward you for it.

• beachplant
    10 years ago

on the whole they are very healthy looking and just need repotting and regular water. Prices aren`t bad either. toomanydogs, be sure and post pics, I am curious now.

I have to go home and give 2 out of 3 of the dogs flea baths,spray the yard and spray the house, it`s that time of year again. Flea season and plumeria season start the same time. This time of year I feel like too many dogs myself.
    Tally Ho!

• mimalf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Poor plumerias! Now I feel even more like I should buy one from there. Most of them were beautiful. The Hawaiian Gardens had a big inflo but there were others too. Can you post some pics with your plumies, toomanydogs? Please!

Beachplant, do you think they would need repotting because of their size or of the potting mix not being (possibly) too drainable? Regarding prices: the 1-gallon were $19.99, the 5-gallon $49.99 (or more like the Hawaiian Gardens; I think that one was special), and the 15-gallon were $119.99. I guess those were the tallest ones? I didn't notice the size of the pots, I was looking only at the eye level LOL.
    You're right about flea season... I soo miss my babies though!!

This post was edited by SagoLover on Thu, May 23, 13 at 21:44

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

There is quite a few in your pics that I would jump on if only the opportunity was there! :)

• mimalf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There were several generics and some named too. We were already tired from staying in line to many activities/attractions at the Festival so we couldn't spend more time in searching for something special, but all in all they were good looking plants.

Oh, and they said they had there about 50-60 5-gallon plumies.

This post was edited by SagoLover on Thu, May 23, 13 at 21:42

• mimalf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And another pic:

• mimalf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One more:

• beachplant
    10 years ago

I don`t like black pots myself, but I think they need repotting because a tree that size is going to develop a decent root ball, and those are bound to be rootbound. I like heavy big pots for plumeria, keeps them from tipping over and gives them plenty of room for root growth. I do put most of mine in the ground and plan to put more in the ground next week. The PSA recommends short wide pots, which are really hard to find
    I use miracle gro, yeah, I know all the arguements. It`s hot and humid and we are in a drought. I haul water from the bathtub upstairs to the garden and we are fixin` to hook the downstairs shower& the washer to drain into the garden. Tally HO!

• mimalf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, so having this size, the biggest of these plumies are ready to go in the ground, right? Our best friends and kids' godparents want one healthy and blooming, for the front of their house. Maybe two. So these are good to go in the ground, or after purchasing it, it should be first acclimated in the new spot in the pot?

• mimalf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Also, if they decide to plant them, do they have to amend the soil for plumerias?

• mimalf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just got a voice message from Cal Poly Pomona's nursery and the lady said that they got them "originally" from Hawaii from Jim Little and other well-known growers from around the world (Thailand? US? didn't specify) but now they grow all of them in house, and all the cuttings are made in house too. They grow about 30 types of plumeria.
    Does this sound encouraging? :-S

• DelWH
    10 years ago

It would be nice to know which of them are from Jim Little originally.

• mimalf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, it would be. When I'll have some spare time, I could go visit the plumies again and ask about that. If they still know which varieties came from where.

• toomanydogs
    10 years ago

SagoLover, the woman who actually knows about the plumeria doesn't seem to be there on weekends. We can only go then and the college students working there have no idea what anything is, though they are very nice and try to be helpful. Perhaps you should call and find out what days she is present before you go to avoid frustration. Please post if you find out what "Hawaiian Gardens" is!

• mimalf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the heads up, toomanydogs! Good to know. I might have to go in that area sometimes next week so I could just stop by the nursery and see if she's there. It could be difficult to call and set up an appointment with her (she might just want to do that) because I don't actually know when I'm going to be there. It will just happen LOL.

I'll keep you updated for sure.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville